Need some help with Skid Plates Recommendation/Sequence

I’ve been slowly building up the off road capability of my 2011 JKU and I’ve reached the stage where I’m more comfortable taking her on tougher trails, we’re planning to do the Rubicon in August. So far, we’ve done all our trails in the southwest; Arizona, Colorado, and southern Utah, we love the slick rock trails around Moab and spend most weekends in the mountains around our home base of Tucson. The rig is reasonably capable; bumpers, Rock Krawler 2.5 lift, 35s, rock sliders, winch, and Anti-Rocks. The Dynatrac front axle is going in this Spring, 4.88 gears with ARB lockers.

I’m struggling with what I should do to upgrade the skid plates. I upgrade as I save the money so sequence is important to me. Which ones should I do first? I’m thinking to install upgraded diff covers, control arm bracket skids and an Evap skid for starters. She came with a gas tank skid from the factory, for what that’s worth.

A few days of research has boggled the mind with the variety and options for an Evap skid. Everybody seems to make one. Northridge has more than 10 different designs for sale, Extreme Terrain, and Quadratec have similar numbers with some different companies. I’m liking the EVO, Poison Spyder (which appears to gain some ground clearance), and Fishbone designs. The new HyLine aluminum version is very interesting. There are many others that look good on their websites.

Am I close to being on the right track for the sequence? Is an Evap Skid even something I should do or has the marketing hype oversold the need? Any recommendations on a particular design or things to avoid? Any recommendations on what my future plans should be?

I appreciate any help. cheers!

fusion_jeff

Do yourself a favor, skip the evap skid and just do the relocation. You have a lift so you are good there. Once relocated it is protected by the rear differential. I bought a evap skid and regret not listening to advice of others. I was wheeling with a friend and he caught his evap skid on a rock and it still damaged the evap as the obstacle crushed and then ripped the whole assembly from the bottom of the rig. He paid a decent amount for a seemingly stout skid plate and it still folded like a cardboard shoebox. Getting his rig off the trail and back home without the evap was not fun.

As far as the rest of the protection. If you can’t do everything all at once start with the areas that are the most likely to make contact first. Since you have a JKU, which is more susceptible to break over clearance issues, I would think the transmission and transfer case would be the most susceptible, especially with a 2.5” lift and 35s. I have a JK with a 4” and 35s and I still occasionally find myself getting high-centered.

Ideally, save up and get the engine, transmission and t-case done at one time Those are the most costly items to fix from trail damage. Another weak area to focus on the long wheelbase of the JKU is that crappy excuse for a gas tank skid. Short of dirt, mud and small rocks at slow speeds, anything else can easily crush, dent and rip that thin stamped metal plate. Replace it when you can. I have seen gas tanks get ripped open despite the metal cookie sheet Jeep puts there to offer soccer moms some urban protection.

When I first started my research, I really liked the River Raider skid plate set. However, I settled on a Rugged Ridge skid plate set and was able to get them for significantly less than the River Raider set would have cost. I have beaten the hell out of my skids and they show no signs of wear beyond a couple superficial scrapes in the powder coat finish.

Good luck on your build!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TheGrendel

Not sure what happened to my post but I have a Synergy oil pan and transfer skid. Uninstalled. You will need the transmission skid to make it work.

I switched to the Evo system due to a Synergy backorder at the time.

Send me a message we might be able to work a deal.

WJCO

Meme King
I’m thinking to install upgraded diff covers, control arm bracket skids and an Evap skid for starters.

Northridge has more than 10 different designs for sale, Extreme Terrain, and Quadratec have similar numbers with some different companies. I’m liking the EVO, Poison Spyder (which appears to gain some ground clearance), and Fishbone designs.

Your new Dynatrac axle will come with a new heavy duty cover as well as beefy control arm brackets. IMO, those additional skids are not needed at all. If you want to upgrade the rear cover, Poison Spyder Bombshell is a thicker cover at a decent price.

As far as the EVAP skid, We went with the Rock Hard 4x4 one and it was a 10 minute install with an impact gun.

As far as buying from Extreme Terrain, they're thieves, I wouldn't want parts from them if they were free.

Another weak area to focus on the long wheelbase of the JKU is that crappy excuse for a gas tank skid. Short of dirt, mud and small rocks at slow speeds, anything else can easily crush, dent and rip that thin stamped metal plate. Replace it when you can. I have seen gas tanks get ripped open despite the metal cookie sheet Jeep puts there to offer soccer moms some urban protection.

I don't know about that. I've seen some of the heaviest wheeling pictures and videos from members of this forum with the factory gas tank shield present and beat to shit and it's still there doing its job protecting the tank.

Do yourself a favor, skip the evap skid and just do the relocation. You have a lift so you are good there. Once relocated it is protected by the rear differential. I bought a evap skid and regret not listening to advice of others. I was wheeling with a friend and he caught his evap skid on a rock and it still damaged the evap as the obstacle crushed and then ripped the whole assembly from the bottom of the rig. He paid a decent amount for a seemingly stout skid plate and it still folded like a cardboard shoebox. Getting his rig off the trail and back home without the evap was not fun.

As far as the rest of the protection. If you can’t do everything all at once start with the areas that are the most likely to make contact first. Since you have a JKU, which is more susceptible to break over clearance issues, I would think the transmission and transfer case would be the most susceptible, especially with a 2.5” lift and 35s. I have a JK with a 4” and 35s and I still occasionally find myself getting high-centered.

Ideally, save up and get the engine, transmission and t-case done at one time Those are the most costly items to fix from trail damage. Another weak area to focus on the long wheelbase of the JKU is that crappy excuse for a gas tank skid. Short of dirt, mud and small rocks at slow speeds, anything else can easily crush, dent and rip that thin stamped metal plate. Replace it when you can. I have seen gas tanks get ripped open despite the metal cookie sheet Jeep puts there to offer soccer moms some urban protection.

When I first started my research, I really liked the River Raider skid plate set. However, I settled on a Rugged Ridge skid plate set and was able to get them for significantly less than the River Raider set would have cost. I have beaten the hell out of my skids and they show no signs of wear beyond a couple superficial scrapes in the powder coat finish.

Good luck on your build!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, exactly the kind of experienced advise I was hoping to get. I appreciate it and I’ll take it to heart. After a little research I see a couple of relo kit options that look reasonable.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Your new Dynatrac axle will come with a new heavy duty cover as well as beefy control arm brackets. IMO, those additional skids are not needed at all. If you want to upgrade the rear cover, Poison Spyder Bombshell is a thicker cover at a decent price.

As far as the EVAP skid, We went with the Rock Hard 4x4 one and it was a 10 minute install with an impact gun.

As far as buying from Extreme Terrain, they're thieves, I wouldn't want parts from them if they were free.

I don't know about that. I've seen some of the heaviest wheeling pictures and videos from members of this forum with the factory gas tank shield present and beat to shit and it's still there doing its job protecting the tank.

Thanks, nice to know your skid is working for you. I have been very happy with the folks at Northridge where I shop first. I have gotten great support from them and the shipping is fast to me. I only use the other vendors to get an idea of what else is out there on the market. I appreciate the heads up.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, nice to know your skid is working for you. I have been very happy with the folks at Northridge where I shop first. I have gotten great support from them and the shipping is fast to me. I only use the other vendors to get an idea of what else is out there on the market. I appreciate the heads up.

Could I maybe get you to consider giving Exodus Jeep a try in the future? They're extremely knowledgeable and help to keep WAYALIFE available for guys like you to use for FREE. :yup:

Exodus 4x4

Could I maybe get you to consider giving Exodus Jeep a try in the future? They're extremely knowledgeable and help to keep WAYALIFE available for guys like you to use for FREE. :yup:

Thanks Eddie[emoji41]

I spent the morning checking out their website, very pleasantly surprised by the quality and variety of the products. Thanks!

Glad you liked it and as you could probably tell, there’s a little more incentive to shopping with us than say some other places.

Send them a PM, or telephone him. He’ll respond, and so far everyone that’s used his shop has been pleased.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Thanks Clay. Appreciate the kind words.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom