Axle question

Deankxf

Just curious, how much does a used D44 front axle housing go for? Looking to swap out my D30. I found a used 44 housing with new ball joints and c gussets installed for 300$ does that sounds like a good deal?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Just curious, how much does a used D44 front axle housing go for? Looking to swap out my D30. I found a used 44 housing with new ball joints and c gussets installed for 300$ does that sounds like a good deal?

That's just the housing correct? Not the knuckles, brakes, gears or axle shafts? Sounds ok to me, but you'll need to put a lot more money into it if it's missing pieces.

Another question, what is the weak points of the Dana 30 axle, are they worth building? Can they be made durable?

Not worth rebuilding or upgrading at all except maybe C gussets. Don't waste your money. Save up for a proper D44 (preferrably an aftermarket rather than Rubicon take-off).

Deankxf

That's just the housing correct? Not the knuckles, brakes, gears or axle shafts? Sounds ok to me, but you'll need to put a lot more money into it if it's missing pieces.

Not worth rebuilding or upgrading at all except maybe C gussets. Don't waste your money. Save up for a proper D44 (preferrably an aftermarket rather than Rubicon take-off).

Yes just the housing, if you guys thought it was a decent deal I would get it then slowly build it up since my d30 is fine right now, but if you think an after market d44 is more worth it I’ll look into going that route

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Yes just the housing, if you guys thought it was a decent deal I would get it then slowly build it up since my d30 is fine right now, but if you think an after market d44 is more worth it I’ll look into going that route

Yeah, the factory D44 still has it's problems. The tubes are thin and the C's are weak. Picking up an aftermarket 44 greatly improves those two points of weakness and will give you a lot more confidence offroad. If nothing is wrong with your 30, I'd just keep wheeling it and start saving for a new one. If you take it relatively easy and don't go over 35's, you should be fine for awhile.

WJCO

Meme King
I don’t do much “hardcore” wheeling, just occasional off-road, so would it be worth doing gussets and axle truss to the d30?

Several members here have had OEM axle issues even with a truss installed. Why waste the time and money?

As already stated, wheel it. And if it does break, upgrade to a ProRock.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Other than the bigger pumpkin, the JK30 and JK44 OEM housings are identical.

That and the fact that the shafts are bigger. Otherwise, they both have weak and think 2.5" Dana 30 tubes and end forgings. I wouldn't waste any money on an empty factory Dana 44 housing.

I don’t do much “hardcore” wheeling, just occasional off-road, so would it be worth doing gussets and axle truss to the d30?

If you don't do anything "hardcore", I don't know why you'd throw ANY money at your Dana 30. As far as a truss go, my friend Tony still cracked his housing open a couple of weekends back and WITH a truss on it. TOTAL waste of money. Granted, he wheels with me.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know you've seen it 13_gecko_rubi but for those who haven't, here's a shot of the axle.

20180117113245-7e6b5809.jpg

vitodivita

The only scenario i'd take a front 44 is if it had the gears I needed for the tire size & was priced well below a pro rock price. Otherwise, it's not worth it. Pro Rock 44 kicks ass.

Top Bottom