Driveline vibrations

G-mansjk

I changed out my front drive shaft a few weeks ago and now I'm getting vibrations at varying speeds.. I thought it might be the torque converter but the transmission shop said it's all good... when I swapped the front driveshaft I couldn't find a reliable torque spec for the transfer case output flange most of what I found said 80-100 and one site called for 130 ft-lbs... it has a little bit of play, could that cause vibrations at random speeds that feels like hitting rumble strips on the highway?

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I changed out my front drive shaft a few weeks ago and now I'm getting vibrations at varying speeds.. I thought it might be the torque converter but the transmission shop said it's all good... when I swapped the front driveshaft I couldn't find a reliable torque spec for the transfer case output flange most of what I found said 80-100 and one site called for 130 ft-lbs... it has a little bit of play, could that cause vibrations at random speeds that feels like hitting rumble strips on the highway?

Rotational play (as in backlash between the tcase gear/chain) can be normal, but if there is lateral or axial play, that will cause the symptom you have. Also you can try removing the driveshaft and flipping it 180 degrees to see if it lessens. And you also could just have a poorly balanced new driveshaft.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A drive shaft that is out of balance will be amplified when running a higher gear ratio. If you don't already have your caster set at 4°, get it set there and that should help. IF you still have vibrations after getting your caster set, you need to have your drive shaft re-balanced.

G-mansjk

I've pulled the shaft and vibrations continued so I was wondering if it could be the flange itself or if it's possible something in the transfer case with the flange not being torqued enough... I didn't want to fry the bearings by over tightening it.. should I just knock the sand out of my vag. and throw some stink on the flange nut

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've pulled the shaft and vibrations continued so I was wondering if it could be the flange itself or if it's possible something in the transfer case with the flange not being torqued enough... I didn't want to fry the bearings by over tightening it.. should I just knock the sand out of my vag. and throw some stink on the flange nut

Just to verify, do the vibrations oscillate or are they continuous? Are they more like a buzzing in the steering wheel or more like a shimmy that you can feel throughout the Jeep? Have you tried removing your rear shaft and running front wheel drive only to see if they're still there. What are the condition of your tire tread?

G-mansjk

Vibrations happen at random speeds.. they seem to happen more around 1300 to 1500 rpm at different speeds, so I thought it was possibly the torque converter.. Vibrations are felt throughout the jeep not really in the steering. I'm about to pull the rear shaft today and see if there is any difference.. tires are good no signs of feathering or abnormal wear to suspect alignment issues.. it feels just like hitting rumble strips on the highway when it happens then stops without letting off the gas or having to stop like with death wobble

WJCO

Meme King
Vibrations happen at random speeds.. they seem to happen more around 1300 to 1500 rpm at different speeds, so I thought it was possibly the torque converter.. Vibrations are felt throughout the jeep not really in the steering. I'm about to pull the rear shaft today and see if there is any difference.. tires are good no signs of feathering or abnormal wear to suspect alignment issues.. it feels just like hitting rumble strips on the highway when it happens then stops without letting off the gas or having to stop like with death wobble

Check all your pulleys including the harmonic balancer. Also check for any loose skid plates or rocks stuck on top of skid plates.

G-mansjk

Pulled the rear shaft today... same thing vibrations throughout the rig... tranny mounts and engine mounts look good harmonic balancer has no signs of spin, all bearings seem to be tight and in good condition except for my right rear has a bit of play.. there is no noise to indicate it's going bad but I guess that might be the next thing to look at.. does anyone think it could be the transfer case flange or possibly the transfer case itself due to the play in the flange? I'm pretty much at a loss here and about to give in and take it to a mechanic with more experience in jk's than me

RedRocker

Is the play in the tcase flange between the flange and the output shaft? In other words loose on the output shaft and you can wobble it side to side? If the flange is tight on the output shaft and there is some play when you rotate the flange before you feel resistance this is normal. A flange that wobbles any amount on the tcase output shaft is not normal.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Did you happen to replace the pinion yoke when you swapped the shaft? Seems odd for it to be something other than what you did during the swap but I guess it’s possible.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom