Steering Column wobble

jeepsheets

First project in my ‘90 YJ. Tilt, manual. Column is loose and needs repair. Should I disassemble and try to repair it just pay $300 for a used one and do a complete change?

There’s no play in steering, just a loose column.

Thanks-

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
First project in my ‘90 YJ. Tilt, manual. Column is loose and needs repair. Should I disassemble and try to repair it just pay $300 for a used one and do a complete change?

There’s no play in steering, just a loose column.

Thanks-

This is common with the tilt steering columns as people tend to grab and pull themselves into their Jeep with it. The bolts that secure it in place are most likely just loose. If you remove your steering wheel, you should be able to locate them and tighten them up.

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
This is common with the tilt steering columns as people tend to grab and pull themselves into their Jeep with it. The bolts that secure it in place are most likely just loose. If you remove your steering wheel, you should be able to locate them and tighten them up.
Was going to hop right on this but I see you already did. Mine was like this when I bought the Jeep since it was a rental in Hawaii before so lots of people abusing the Jeep and yanking their way into it. Mine was as simple as Eddie said, strip it down and tighten two bolts.

Sent from my PH-1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom