Blown 4.0

J06Pwrangler

IMG_4019.jpg

2006 LJ, 6-sp

Well this weekend i was going to hit the trails, about 45 min in to the trip i heard a knocking.... and broke a rod. Bad luck i guess. Looking to hear some options on what tondo from here. Ive never tackled a rebuild before. But i am willing to give it a shot.

I am thinking about looking for a 4.0 in a junk yard and doing a swap. I am hoping to find one for under $500. Then rebuild mine and stroke it. Ive had bad luck with hand me down parts lately, so ive also thought of just dropping rhe cash on a 4.6L golen stroker as well. Completely dressed up they are close to $6500. Not sure if its worth that or not yet.

Thoughts?!?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Scrambler

4.0’s are cheap and a dime a dozen. You could probably find one in that price range, if not cheaper. There really isn’t much to them. If you wanted to tackle a rebuild, I’d say that’d be the motor to learn on.

WJCO

Meme King
Looking at your cylinder wall, it looks scored. See if your fingernail catches on the scoring lines, if so, you'll either need a new block or have a machine shop bore it out and then you'll need larger pistons.

IMG_20180120_074939_300.jpg

Last edited:

Five-N9ne

Golens are great and all but meh.

You could have the block gone over for cheap and bored out .010-.020 over, you'd need new rods anyway so new rods/pistons as a set... Comp towing cam with lifters and rods and stuff is around $250-300, mild head port is common and not too expensive. Cloyes roller timing chain, 1.7:1 rockers, and a high volume pump and you'd have a tight little motor for cheaper than a stroker that doesn't then need the big injectors or other crap like heavier duty clutch or torque converter. No tuning requirements either, and assembling it in your garage isn't difficult at all. Just need to take it slow and double check everything. It's not rocket science to put one together, just think of it as vastly more expensive Legos :D

J06Pwrangler

Thanks for the replies! Yeah, ill be attempting to pull the engine this weekend, and make some calls for a new 4.0. So is there any model year that wont work with my jeep? Or are the blocks pretty much the same through out the years?

As for a rebuild, i think i will attempt to tackle it. I just put on a 4.5” long arm, and upgraded the axles this past summer. So i sadly havnt had much trail time with it. So the sooner i can get it up and running, the better!

You need one from an 01? I believe and up, previous won’t mount in and have different accessory locations.

I wouldn’t bother dropping 6k on a stroker, for that money you can drop in a v8 and have more power and better mileage.

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
My LJ is a 06. Ill have to do some research tonight to see what i can use for a direct swap.

Check out my swap thread! If you have manual you can retain transmission for just about any engine you put in. If you have emissions it has to be same year or newer. If you don't I'd suggest any LS motor preferable a truck one as they have the rear sump pan.

Sent from my PH-1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom