mismatching shocks; bad idea or no big deal?

desertrunner

So as soon as my locker lines are run, longer shocks is the final piece of phase 2 of my build but i have a odd question.

I know that i can fit a set of Kings made for 3-5" of lift up front but i have a feeling they are going to be too long for my current rear set up. If i end up just buying the set of kings for the front and a set of ranchos for rear while i run out my 33s before going to a 3" lift and 37s am i gonna have a real funky ride with mismatching shocks? or am i not even gonna notice?

Five-N9ne

Just measure point-to-point when under full compression and droop, order the Kings closest to that... :idontknow:

Or redo shock mounts to match longer shocks. It'll ride funky and look hokey but it will drive mismatched, if that's your endgame.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Driving around town, you probably won't even notice a difference. Crawling through the rocks, same thing. Driving somewhat fast on a rough dirt road, you'd probably notice it. Don't think you'd want to bomb across the desert with this setup.

desertrunner

Just measure point-to-point when under full compression and droop, order the Kings closest to that... :idontknow:

Or redo shock mounts to match longer shocks. It'll ride funky and look hokey but it will drive mismatched, if that's your endgame.

end game is 3" lift and 37s, the front kings will work with my current set up so i only have to buy them once so if i need the shorter kings for the rear then down the road when i go to the bigger set up i buy the longer kings thats a lot of money to spend twice.

Driving around town, you probably won't even notice a difference. Crawling through the rocks, same thing. Driving somewhat fast on a rough dirt road, you'd probably notice it. Don't think you'd want to bomb across the desert with this setup.

hummm well considering the reason i want the Kings in the first place is to have the ability to bomb through the desert maybe its not such a good idea but obviously if i go ranchos front and rear to match for the time being the ranchos are going to fade faster than the kings would. Trying to imagine what it would feel like to have your front shocks nice and cool and the rears starting to fade from heat haha :icon_crazy:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
hummm well considering the reason i want the Kings in the first place is to have the ability to bomb through the desert maybe its not such a good idea but obviously if i go ranchos front and rear to match for the time being the ranchos are going to fade faster than the kings would. Trying to imagine what it would feel like to have your front shocks nice and cool and the rears starting to fade from heat haha :icon_crazy:

Like driving an unloaded pick up truck that has coils up front and leafs in the rear.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've known guys who wanted to run DTD's up front but bolt on coil overs in the rear. Rode like shit.

Five-N9ne

Trying to imagine what it would feel like to have your front shocks nice and cool and the rears starting to fade from heat haha :icon_crazy:

Been there. Had Bilstein remote resis up front and 5100s in the back, it gets squirrelly to say the least. Especially on anything with a trackbar still in the back. When I went 4-link it wasn't anywhere near as bad, but I still put reservoirs in the back as soon as I could.

desertrunner

Like driving an unloaded pick up truck that has coils up front and leafs in the rear.

I've known guys who wanted to run DTD's up front but bolt on coil overs in the rear. Rode like shit.

Been there. Had Bilstein remote resis up front and 5100s in the back, it gets squirrelly to say the least. Especially on anything with a trackbar still in the back. When I went 4-link it wasn't anywhere near as bad, but I still put reservoirs in the back as soon as I could.

Ok you guys convinced me, im gonna not mismatch my shocks.... or at lest if i do ill know what to expect

Top Bottom