Belly cover

JKEmmy

Hey guys wanted to touch base with yall and hear thoughts on skid plates. What plates are needed if any and experience or suggestions on who to buy from. I'd like to stay light and I know the age old aluminum vs steel argument but I'd like to hear anything guys or gals have experienced with both (sagging, plate failures ect). I'm on 35s with AEV 3.5sc lift. Thanks for the time!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
With the exception of my oil pan and transmission, I'm still running the same stock skids that came on my JK back in 2007. Doesn't get any lighter than that. Granted, I'm just a mall crawler.

Both EVO and Rock Hard make great skids for whatever it is you're needing or wanting.

JKEmmy

Awesome thank you. I'm not building a crawler quite yet but I do get her into some situations and want to keep it protected so I can make it home haha. I've heard you don't need to cover the entire belly, also heard you don't need anything and that the factory skids do ok.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've heard you don't need to cover the entire belly, also heard you don't need anything and that the factory skids do ok.

If you haven't seen any of our videos before, give this one a look. These are the kind of malls we play in.

With the exception of an oil pan and transmission skid, everything else is stock. You decide.

TRLJNKY

Im a budget crawler and have beat the shit out of my undercarriage on stock skids. Looks like I drove over an IED. Just recently smacked my evap on a lucky rock. Either a relocation or skid for my evap will come soon. Other than that stock has been fine. Although, I also want to do what Eddie suggested

aka cavfighter

fiend

Caught the Bug
The 3.8 JKs have pretty decent stock skid plates, including one for the AT. At some point around the 2012 model, Jeep eliminated the AT skid plate because of some perceived fire hazzard and went with a square bar rather than a plate. Doesn’t look too good to me. Plus the AT hydraulic lines are really exposed to possible damage. If it were me, I’d get an oil pan/AT combo plate (like Rock Hard) and stick with the stock transfer case and gas tank skids.

BaddestCross

Im a budget crawler and have beat the shit out of my undercarriage on stock skids. Looks like I drove over an IED. Just recently smacked my evap on a lucky rock. Either a relocation or skid for my evap will come soon. Other than that stock has been fine. Although, I also want to do what Eddie suggested

aka cavfighter
The transmission skid on our early JKs are actually really good. They changed them to a stupid bar in later model years... No real need to upgrade it. I only run an EVO skid on my oil pan and evap canister. Everything else is stock. 👍

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Top Bottom