Minor Fender contact at full bump

GraniteWilly

I finally got some time to get out and fully flex my Jeep on the trail with my new setup. I am running 2” bumps in the front and 1” bumps in the rear to accommodate my 295/70R17 STT Pros.

Right now the shocks use nearly all of their travel (half an inch exposed shaft at full bump) which is great, however there was a little rubbing on the rear fender. It didn’t seem like it was enough to do any damage, just enough that I could hear it as I drove over some of the more challenging obstacles.

My question is, keeping in mind I want to keep my factory fenders uncut, would you add more bump stop extension and sacrifice up-travel, or would you deal with the slight rubbing to maximize travel?

fiend

Caught the Bug
I would just deal with the slight rubbing. But if you’re out wheeling and flexing and your tire pulls your fender off, then add a little more bump stop.

BaddestCross

I would just deal with the slight rubbing. But if you’re out wheeling and flexing and your tire pulls your fender off, then add a little more bump stop.
^^^ This.

How much lift do you have? Typically you want to add the same amount of bump extension for the size of lift but if you're not wheeling hard and it's just a little rub every now and again you may get away with it.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

GraniteWilly

^^^ This.

How much lift do you have? Typically you want to add the same amount of bump extension for the size of lift but if you're not wheeling hard and it's just a little rub every now and again you may get away with it.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Thanks for the replies guys, I’ve got a 2” lift. I originally had 2” of bump stop in the rear as well but I noticed it wasn’t using a good amount of travel so I reduced it to an inch. I put together my kit and made my own bump stops so I’ve been dialing it in on my own.

M_Savage

Caught the Bug

Fiend knows a little about a slight fender rubbing at full bump on and even rubbing on his bumper. :cheesy:

BaddestCross

Thanks for the replies guys, I’ve got a 2” lift. I originally had 2” of bump stop in the rear as well but I noticed it wasn’t using a good amount of travel so I reduced it to an inch. I put together my kit and made my own bump stops so I’ve been dialing it in on my own.
In case you're not aware, if you've got the factory jounce pads (the white bumps on the frame side) they compress flat, so you'd measure from the pad on the axle to the metal tower the jounce pads press into to determine your uptravel.

--

fiend

Caught the Bug
Fiend knows a little about a slight fender rubbing at full bump on and even rubbing on his bumper. :cheesy:

Yessir I am an expert in that regard. [emoji6]

But I hacked off some more of my bumper recently, so we’ll see if that does anything. [emoji23]

jesse3638

Hooked
The problem with that is it can lead to you over compressing your coils.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

GraniteWilly

In case you're not aware, if you've got the factory jounce pads (the white bumps on the frame side) they compress flat, so you'd measure from the pad on the axle to the metal tower the jounce pads press into to determine your uptravel.

--

Yep for sure. After I got that number I measured tire clearance to the fender vertically (and they clear fine that way), but when it’s flexed the tires actually rub toward the front of the rear fenders where I hadn’t anticipated.

BaddestCross

Yep for sure. After I got that number I measured tire clearance to the fender vertically (and they clear fine that way), but when it’s flexed the tires actually rub toward the front of the rear fenders where I hadn’t anticipated.
Yeah, I've had that same issue in the past. You'll need the extra bump stop to prevent it. I thought you were talking about the front this whole time.

--

jeeeep

Hooked

my 2010 has done that until recently, I think the tire finally scrubbed enough clearance for itself.

I'm running 37's on 3.5" lift, they do catch the rear flare every now and then and pulls them off but I pack some extra clips to put it back on for the drive home.

Top Bottom