Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY - Rear License Plate Cross Member Relocation Mount Write-Up

The Original Smartass piginajeep's Avatar
    Good write up,

In most states a license plate light is required. It was always good PC for stopping drunks. So if you drive drunk get a plate light.
    2012 JK8
    1958 FC170 (Jeep Forward Control)
    1953 M38A1

I had a tailgate delete prior to installing the EVO carrier, and I used an ORO license plate light. Works awesome I plan on wiring it up on the tire carrier also

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Ddays View Post
    I was wondering the same thing. I have my plate on the carrier but never hooked up any lights. I never wanted to run wires along the carrier tubes so I left the wires kinda dangling a little bit in case I ever got pulled over. Figured I'd try to plead ignorance or say "Dammit, did those wires get stripped off again?"

I like the lower mount much better. I can run legit lights a whole lot easier there. One less reason to get pulled over for!
    Glad to hear this write-up might be helpful to you

PS: Eddie - what are your thoughts on running a trailer hitch? Better to leave one on for additional crossmember protection or take off for slightly better clearance? Specifically for wheeling in Moab. I'm leaning towards leaving it on as a skid.
    I still have mine hitch receiver installed. I have a trail vice that mounts to the receiver and I couldn't imagine not being able to use it being that I use it ALL THE TIME. While I do hit it often, I've never had it hold me up on an obstacle before.

Quote Originally Posted by piginajeep View Post
    So if you drive drunk get a plate light.
    Safety first.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Quote Originally Posted by piginajeep View Post
    Good write up,

In most states a license plate light is required. It was always good PC for stopping drunks. So if you drive drunk get a plate light.
    LOL!! Good to know

Quote Originally Posted by TrainWreck618 View Post
    I had a tailgate delete prior to installing the EVO carrier, and I used an ORO license plate light. Works awesome I plan on wiring it up on the tire carrier also
    I've run the ORO in the past and it worked pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Glad to hear this write-up might be helpful to you
    I still have mine hitch receiver installed. I have a trail vice that mounts to the receiver and I couldn't imagine not being able to use it being that I use it ALL THE TIME. While I do hit it often, I've never had it hold me up on an obstacle before.
    Yeah, great point on the trail vice mount - I do not have one yet but its on the to do list. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ddays View Post
    Yeah, great point on the trail vice mount - I do not have one yet but its on the to do list. Thanks!
    Here's a shot of mine in use.

No way I'd hit the trail without it
    Mac's Tie-Downs 797979 Trail D-Vise with Pin and Safety Clip

Same one here. Great tool. I have yet to use it on the trail, but around the house, it is still handy. When working on the Jeep, I don't have to walk to the bench as much, it's right there next to the Jeep. By the way, what the fuck happened to that bracket?
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Same one here. Great tool. I have yet to use it on the trail, but around the house, it is still handy. When working on the Jeep, I don't have to walk to the bench as much, it's right there next to the Jeep. By the way, what the fuck happened to that bracket?
    Problem with bolt-on components like a track bar relocation mount is that it can be tough to keep some of the bolts in hard to reach places tightened to torque spec. Hard wheeling caused the ram that was mounted to it to tear it off the bracket from the axle.

Mac's Tie-Downs 797979 Trail D-Vise with Pin and Safety Clip

LOL - you must have anticipated my next question! Thanks for the pic and link - that's gonna be purchased shortly through the WAL portal
    I really like Macs stuff too. Have their snatch straps in my pack.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast