Need Advice on Rear XD60 Install 15 JK

Coop

Caught the Bug
I have begun my install of the XD60 and initially set my Currie adjustable upper and lower control arms at factory length. With the axle at full droop, my pinion angle was near 10 degrees. The spring perches looked like they were aligned so I extended the lower control arms to reduce the pinion angle. I added about 1.25 inches in length over stock and got the pinion angle down to roughly 4 degrees. I guess I was surprised I had to add that much. I called Dynatrac and the tech I spoke with said the control arm brackets are not at stock position and just to aim the pinion at the transfer case yoke. I mentioned the warning about being less than 6 degrees or voiding the warranty. He said they had to put this as a maximum because of the folks that don’t adjust at all and burn the bearings up. Ok, so my PR44 had built in caster and the XD60 has built in pinion angle. So, I raised the axle up to normal run position and no change to the angle, still about 4 degrees.
My question for those with far more experience than I:
Should I adjust for less pinion angle? What should I shoot for?
How much more can I extend the Currie adjustable control arm, as I already have about 2.5 inches threaded out? I was thinking of possibly extending the top arm to push the axle back about .5 an inch, but that would probably require even more lower arm extension to get the pinion angle down.
I am looking forward to your advice, even if I’m a total idiot on this.
Thanks all!!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
The tech at Dynatrac gave you great advice, point the pinion at the transfer case yoke. If your getting vibrations than start adjusting. You have 2.5" of thread showing?

Coop

Caught the Bug
The tech at Dynatrac gave you great advice, point the pinion at the transfer case yoke. If your getting vibrations than start adjusting. You have 2.5" of thread showing?

Yes about 2.5 inches. Don’t know how far it will go before I lose the strength of the arm. Sensitive to this because I bent the stock lower arm into a vee with a nasty slide onto a rock. Spun my 44 tube, literally sheared the welds.

WJCO

Meme King
Curious as to why you're taking these measurements with axle at full droop. Seems like they should be taken at regular height with the weight of the jeep on the ground.

Coop

Caught the Bug
Curious as to why you're taking these measurements with axle at full droop. Seems like they should be taken at regular height with the weight of the jeep on the ground.

Gotta start some place. Upon hooking up the axle, I noticed the pinion angle was way high, so l adjusted to get things close before I put everything together and dropped on the tires.
Maybe foolish, but what I have done so far!

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Yes about 2.5 inches. Don’t know how far it will go before I lose the strength of the arm. Sensitive to this because I bent the stock lower arm into a vee with a nasty slide onto a rock. Spun my 44 tube, literally sheared the welds.

That sounds like too much thread showing. I would start with the arms in the stock position, center everything up, then adjust the control arms to point the pinion at the transfer case. You need to check this at ride height with the tires on the ground. This is where the EVO arms come in handy, because you don't have to take the arms off the Jeep to adjust.

Coop

Caught the Bug
Ok. Thanks. Got everything back together and will drop it on the tires a few times to see where it ends up.

Top Bottom