The one where we build an Outlaw.

boardsurfer

I say We because I know dang well I couldn't do what I've done to my Jeep without your help. So first and foremost, thanks for that.

It's time I make a thread to lay out all that has been done to the Jeep. I have held off and resisted for a long time because no one really cares about that time I installed LED cubes on the A pillar right? But there are lots of little things over the course of the last few years that have started to amount to something worthwhile. AND in a few weeks I am expecting delivery of these bad boys:

SeriousPerformance_900x250-1.jpg

so I think that will be worth documenting. I am sure there will be a zillion questions. I'll be installing myself in the garage with the help of.. well, anyone willing to come over. :D

For starters, this is the earliest picture I have.

11150705_10205511653784763_7961155787829140794_n.jpg

Stock everything aside from the Mopar lift installed by the dealer before I bought it and the 35s on some LRG wheels. The story the salesman gave me was that the Jeep was originally purchased in late 2013, and traded back to the dealership in late 2014. I bought it January 2015 with 2,900 miles on it. The previous owner never drove it in the year that he had it apparently.

I drove it around for all of a month before I had to do something about the steering, it was just atrocious. I had a good idea that I needed a drag link flip so I took it to Trail Jeeps and they took care of business for me. I was afraid at the time to mess with something as important as steering so I let them do it. In retrospect, it would have been an easy job. Oh well.

Between then and now is a blur of mods, some little, some not so little. Here is a list in roughly the order it was done.

EVO drag link flip
Synergy tie rod
EVO front lower control arms
EVO Pro Series front bumper
Warn Xeon 8S
Rubicon swaybar with EVO no limits
SwitchPros switch panel
ARB compressor (single)
Rigid LED spot cubes (A pillar)
EVO sliders - I thought these were complete overkill at the time but man am I glad now. I have dropped on them pretty hard a few times.
Uniden Bearcat CB on a Rugged Ridge mount with a Firestik antenna
JW Speaker headlights
Bestop Trektop NX
Somewhere around here I added about 30HP worth of stickers :D
KMC Machete Beadlocks
Cooper STT Pro (315s)
EVO hinge mount tire carrier
Lux rock lights
Rigid LED flood cubes (bumper)
Heated seat pads
I also drilled into the soundbar and installed some LEDs because the interior lights are terrible.

I think that about covers it.

boardsurfer

On cyber Monday I placed an order for a set of Pro Rocks straight from Dynatrac. I went with 5.13s and ARB lockers. It's going to be a little weird driving with 35s and those gears but that will be as short lived as possible.

In the mean time and have been collecting parts, and prepping for the axles to arrive. I opted NOT to go with the Pro Grip upgrade because I figured I could add it later for the same price anyway. What I didnt consider is that if you dont get the Pro Grips, you also dont get unit bearings. You are expected to bring over your own from the stock axle. Not a big deal, except I purposely neglected my D30 knowing it was going to be replaced in time - and here I am buying new unit bearings anyway. So, there's $250 I could have put towards the $900 pro grip upgrade. I should have just done it. When you're spending $10k, what's a few hundred more right? Ugh.

My second consideration was the control arms. The ones on there now are not stock. They are part of the Mopar lift and they are fixed length. So being that the PR44 has built in caster I would need to be able to make adjustments.

IMG_20180125_164331.jpg

So yeah, buy once cry once. I went ahead and ordered the remaining 6 EVO control arms from Exodus Jeeps (gave me an awesome deal on the front uppers BTW).

Also there are the new unit bearings, extended brake lines and a tuner so I can finally have an accurate speedo. Those axles cant come soon enough because my steering is getting awfully loose. I know the ball joints are toasted and the unit bearings are pretty tired at this point.

Ddays

Hooked
Man, looks like you're about to have some fun! Nice list of parts. Hope you post up the progress! :thumb:

WJCO

Meme King
Hmmm. This looks like the build thread that I was looking for a couple of years ago.

Congrats on the axles. As long as I have a little heads up, I'd be happy to help you install these bad boys.

Last edited:

TOPLESS

Caught the Bug
What WJCO said. I’ve been waiting for this thread also. Congrats!! Make sure to update the progress!

boardsurfer

Hmmm. This looks like the build thread that I was looking for a couple of years ago.

Congrats on the axles. As long as I have a little heads up, I'd be happy to help you install these bad boys.

I know. I just wasnt feeling it at the time. Better nate than lever I guess.

Here is a fairly current picture of how it sits now. LEDs on the bumper are missing though.

IMG_20170916_173130.jpg

boardsurfer

What WJCO said. I’ve been waiting for this thread also. Congrats!! Make sure to update the progress!

Thank you! If there is anything I know well it is that the internet demands pictures. I'll give you all plenty of opportunity to laugh at my decisions. :D

WJCO

Meme King
If you haven't got it already, have a couple of pints of brake fluid on hand if you're doing all four new brake lines.

boardsurfer

If you haven't got it already, have a couple of pints of brake fluid on hand if you're doing all four new brake lines.

I do have some, I appreciate the offer. Speaking of which I am still trying to come up with a reason to bust out the plasma cutter. :D I've never used one, but it sure sounds fun. I even considered long arms so we could cut off the old brackets. Lol! I dont know. I'll think of something. :thinking:

WJCO

Meme King
I do have some, I appreciate the offer. Speaking of which I am still trying to come up with a reason to bust out the plasma cutter. :D I've never used one, but it sure sounds fun. I even considered long arms so we could cut off the old brackets. Lol! I dont know. I'll think of something. :thinking:

Do you have one? If not, I'll bring one. I'm sure we could find some shit to cut. Do you have any neighbors that piss you off? A plasma cutter is an awesome intimidation tool.

boardsurfer

Do you have one? If not, I'll bring one. I'm sure we could find some shit to cut. Do you have any neighbors that piss you off? A plasma cutter is an awesome intimidation tool.

Haha! No I was referring to yours. Maybe I can use it to cut my old axles in half and sneak them into the trashcan on the curb.

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
good start to a build thread! congrats on the axles :thumb: and doing the swap yourself is one of the best feelings of accomplishments when completed!

boardsurfer

Well, the parts pile just got a bit bigger. Last night I came across a local selling a rubicon transfer case. 25k miles, from a 2015 with 6 speed. Mine is 2014 with 6 speed so should bolt right in. I've been casually looking for one of these for almost 2 years. They just dont show up here that often, so I jumped on it.

I had been toying with the idea of an Atlas with 5:1 low range. My main gripe with my current setup is the inability to Slow Down (35s, 3.73s, and 2.72:1 transfer case). It makes working the clutch in the rocks very difficult and results in a lot of stalls. I figure for half the price of an Atlas, 4:1 will do just fine. Side note, the seller upgraded to an Atlas with 10.3:1 :eek: Talk about crawling!

The only things remaining on the To Do list now are drive shafts, some sort of steering upgrade and 37s. There will be more after that, but for now these are the "necessities."

All of this needs to be complete before June at the latest. Slimebones and I are heading to Moab 6/18-22. So here is an open invite if anyone would care to meet us there.

Ddays

Hooked
My main gripe with my current setup is the inability to Slow Down (35s, 3.73s, and 2.72:1 transfer case). It makes working the clutch in the rocks very difficult and results in a lot of stalls.

Pro-grips would do wonders for this. Aside from improving stopping distances from high speeds much much better, this was the other really big benefit to them, especially in 4LO.

boardsurfer

Pro-grips would do wonders for this. Aside from improving stopping distances from high speeds much much better, this was the other really big benefit to them, especially in 4LO.

The Pro Grips would be a nice upgrade, no disputing that. But it isnt a matter of braking to slow down -- the gearing is just too high. Even idling in 1st gear (4Lo) has me moving too fast. My 4 Low isnt LOW enough.

Top Bottom