Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with my 'dream' build

Help with my 'dream' build

Hey there,

I'm planning to get a 2018 4-door Rubicon JK in the next few months. I've created a spreadsheet last year where I added parts I like whenever I see them in videos.

It's almost time where I'm going to buy the Jeep, but my build is still far from done. Now that I have the "high level overview" done, I'm posting here so you guys can hopefully help me dial in the specifics.

My absolute main concern is using the best parts I can. I'm not necessarily concerned about money (I expect it will be $30-40K in aftermarket parts alone?), I only care about the build and manufacturing quality. I'm not looking for low budget suggestions.

My goal: I'm looking at extreme mud, overlanding, a little bit of rock crawling -- but probably not any extreme or advanced rock crawling like I see in some of the Wayalife videos. Something along these lines seems about accurate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djezl-JnrXw

I've read around on this forum a bit before posting, and it seems people can be pretty sarcastic and blunt... which is why I chose to post this here than another place that might sugarcoat things.

First... Here's an image of a Jeep which is almost exactly the look I'm going for (except the wheels, and grill inserts, both of which I hate). Everything else I love...

Keep in mind... this is not 100% decided... this is just a "rough" direction before I really dive into exact parts.

ENGINE + SUSPENSION

- Suspension: 4 in Teraflex lift kit with shocks. I originally picked this lift kit but I've seen tons of people talking shit about Teraflex on here... what would you guys recommend for a very high quality 4" lift kit that includes everything I need? Do I need stabilizers and other stuff?

- Supercharger: RIPP Supercharger

- Exhaust: Not sure, any suggestions?

- Battery: Genesis dual battery kit

- Alternator: not sure, any suggestions?

EXTERIOR

Front bumper: Fab Fours winch bumper ... it seems Fab Four makes the biggest ugliest nastiest clown bumpers that are a joke to the entire Jeep community...
    sadly the bumper I like most is also made by this company. I think it looks respectable and not ugly. Is this going to be the butt of every joke if I get this?
    I really, really like how it looks. https://www.extremeterrain.com/fabfo...rd-0717jk.html

Skid plate: Do I need this? I read in this FAQ that maybe I dont... https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/...ll=1#post21020

Differential covers: ARB 44 Red

Roof rack: Gobi ranger rack

Rubi rails / rock sliders: Are these the same thing? What is a good brand?

Undercoat: Should I get some sort of undercoat to prevent rust?

Fenders: TBD but I know I want thing black ones, not very large bulky ones. I still have to figure these out

LIGHTS

- 4 round PIAA lights on roof (no light bar... I like the classic look). I want it to look like this... but does this attach right to the Gobi roof rack or do I need another mount? https://www.fabfours.com/wp-content/...50_TOPBLCK.jpg

WHEELS & TIRES

Wheels: 17x9 Mammoth 8 style beadlock - https://www.extremeterrain.com/mammo...k-j100609.html

Tires: 37" Maxxis trepador (non competition) or Nitto trail/mud grappler

MISC PARTS

Do I need these? This was stuff I saw that looked important but I don't know if I should get something or not.

- Exhaust spacers
    - Ring & pinion kit
    - Cold air intake
    - Sway bar disconnect kit
    - Breather tubes (axle, transfer case, transmission)

I'd also love for any comments for things I'm obviously missing. I'm almost positive in all my reading I've missed some obvious parts that I should have.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Exuma; 01-28-2018 at 05:52 AM.

Since you’re new here spend some time researching what has already posted. My opinion is your list needs some work. Also, is there a 2018 Jk?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

First off welcome to Wayalife, and I will take a stab at this, also when you get your Jeep you choose what you want, but you will get some great information from here.

Suspension and rock sliders /protection check out Evo products.

If going 4" plus lift you may look into new driveshafts, not a must but would benefit.

If your going to 37" tires might be wise to regear.

Exodus is a sponsor here, they will point ypu in the right direction also.

Just my opinion on some of your Dream Build, good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy_RCW View Post
    Since you’re new here spend some time researching what has already posted. My opinion is your list needs some work. Also, is there a 2018 Jk?

Yes you can get a 2018 JK still.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy_RCW View Post

According to jeep.com there seems to be a 2018 JK.

Also, thanks for the reply. I understand what you're saying for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by 19YJ94 View Post
    First off welcome to Wayalife, and I will take a stab at this, also when you get your Jeep you choose what you want, but you will get some great information from here.

Suspension and rock sliders /protection check out Evo products.

If going 4" plus lift you may look into new driveshafts, not a must but would benefit.

If your going to 37" tires might be wise to regear.

Exodus is a sponsor here, they will point ypu in the right direction also.

Just my opinion on some of your Dream Build, good luck.
    Thanks, that's a great help! I forgot about writing down regearing, I'll definitely add that to the list for sure.

What's an example of what I should look for in a new drive shaft?

I dont have a lot of information on driveshafts, someone will chime in. I just know the stock driveshafts have a rubber boot that can start to rub and tear against other parts on 3" plus lifts under full flex.

Been Around the Block Gobicon2017's Avatar
    Two cents here. Y an 18 Jk and not a jl. If it were me I’d skip the supercharger. Had one in my last jk loved it but pricey. Gears definitely. With that kinda money I’d look into a conversion already done with an ls motor.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Gobicon 2017 JKU Recon build

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=51738

Quote Originally Posted by Gobicon2017 View Post
    Two cents here. Y an 18 Jk and not a jl. If it were me I’d skip the supercharger. Had one in my last jk loved it but pricey. Gears definitely. With that kinda money I’d look into a conversion already done with an ls motor.

I like the JL but it seems there won't be quality aftermarket parts for it for like many months if not a year+ from now (I'm impatient :p), so I figured I would just go with the tried and true. I do agree though, I like a lot of the new stuff.

Been Around the Block Gobicon2017's Avatar

Help with my 'dream' build

Good deal. What’s the jeep gonna be used for. Daily or both highway and trail. Are the trails gonna be rock or sand etc. lots of things to consider. I’d stay away from teraflex, there’re joints are horrible. Good luck. I would wheel it and upgrade as needed.

Gobicon 2017 JKU Recon build

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=51738

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast