Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EVO Rock Slider Question

Caught the Bug

EVO Rock Slider Question

I welded on the EVO sliders this weekend to the frame. However, I cannot get the gun at the angle I want to weld the top part of the plate. At first, I thought I had them too high. I donít. The mounting plates are square on the frame. Anyone else have any tips on your experience and resolution?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by mchrisovergis View Post
    I welded on the EVO sliders this weekend to the frame. However, I cannot get the gun at the angle I want to weld the top part of the plate. At first, I thought I had them too high. I donít. The mounting plates are square on the frame. Anyone else have any tips on your experience and resolution?

The mobile welder I had weld mine on was cussin up a storm trying to get at the tops of the mounts on the frame. I kept pestering him that he had to get those spots, but honestly there are a couple small places that he couldn't get to, like maybe a 1/4" or 1/2" at the top on a couple of the mounts. I'm not gonna tell you that its OK, even though mine aren't completely done, but so far so good.

If you canít get to it then you just canít do it. May just be a difference in mig guns. I was able to get all the way around mine. If you have access to another gun maybe try that. Or if youíre concerned and have access to a stick machine, you could bend the rod to get in there. But my opinion is if youíve got 95% of it and plus the rosette welds, youíll be good to go.

Caught the Bug
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy_RCW View Post
    If you canít get to it then you just canít do it. May just be a difference in mig guns. I was able to get all the way around mine. If you have access to another gun maybe try that. Or if youíre concerned and have access to a stick machine, you could bend the rod to get in there. But my opinion is if youíve got 95% of it and plus the rosette welds, youíll be good to go.

Thanks All. Yea, the gun just wonít fit and the welds up top are ugly as all get out. Iím more concerned about moisture getting behind it really.

I plug welded the holes too so itís definitely on there and NOT coming off!

Thanks All. Yea, the gun just wonít fit and the welds up top are ugly as all get out. Iím more concerned about moisture getting behind it really.

I plug welded the holes too so itís definitely on there and NOT coming off!

I've had weld areas like that that are hard to reach. Just get some Permatex Undercoating in a spray can or FlexSeal, and soak it. It may take two codes, but it will be thick enough to fill in the seam and seal it. It drys black so it won't be an eye sore either.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Caught the Bug
    Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    I've had weld areas like that that are hard to reach. Just get some Permatex Undercoating in a spray can or FlexSeal, and soak it. It may take two codes, but it will be thick enough to fill in the seam and seal it. It drys black so it won't be an eye sore either.
    Thanks. JB Weld an option?

Thanks. JB Weld an option?

I guess you could, but that rubberized coating in a can is way faster and easier.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Caught the Bug
    Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    I guess you could, but that rubberized coating in a can is way faster and easier.
    I agree.

EVO Rock Slider Question

With flux core wire you donít need the gas shield on the gun.... may help.

Nothing but a Thing QuicksilverJK's Avatar
    Like speedy said, a good way to get in there is using stick. Just bend the end of the rod about 4" from the end. Burn it on, bend again and move on to the next.

Or just get something in there to seal the moisture out and forget about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast