Magellan eXplorist TRX7

Rubicon310

Does anyone have any first hand experience with this particular GPS? I’m looking for a GPS that I can mount on my windshield.

I own several of books with GPS coordinates that we look forward to stopping at and about 50% of the time, we are unable to find the specific location with just a map. I’d like something somewhat simple that I can input coordinates into before heading out then once on the trail, It’ll be much easier to find. I was told there are good iPad apps as well? Problem is I don’t own an iPad but will buy one if that’s a better option. If iPads are a better option, I would assume that I’ll need internet connection to access the coordinates? Any and all advice is appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sahara_Maverick

I use a 7in Samsung tablet that runs Android. App name is Orux Maps.
You can download maps from Google Maps and other sources for offline use, which is frequent on the places we go.
You can input coordinates and check best way to get there. Of course, knowing that GPS devices have some errors depending on where you are.
The 7in screen is perfect in size and the tablet is light enough to hang from suction cups. In my case I use RAM mounts attached to an e-Dock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rubicon310

I just went on amazon and read some of the reviews. They don’t seem too positive. But again, you can’t always trust what you read online. Hoping we can get some more feedback from this community.

jeeeep

Hooked
Does anyone have any first hand experience with this particular GPS? I’m looking for a GPS that I can mount on my windshield.

I own several of books with GPS coordinates that we look forward to stopping at and about 50% of the time, we are unable to find the specific location with just a map. I’d like something somewhat simple that I can input coordinates into before heading out then once on the trail, It’ll be much easier to find. I was told there are good iPad apps as well? Problem is I don’t own an iPad but will buy one if that’s a better option. If iPads are a better option, I would assume that I’ll need internet connection to access the coordinates? Any and all advice is appreciated!

I bought the Magellan TRX7 in hopes of eliminating carrying multiple devices.

I wish I would've returned it when I had the chance but I bought into their promises of useful updates that still haven't happened.

Even though it's built on Android, you have to sideload apps because they don't want to enter into and agreement with Google to make it a useful tablet.

And not all apps will work once you get them installed because it does not support Google Play.

The GPS function has gotten better but saving destinations or creating routes is clumsy. I've spent hours creating routes only to have them disappear after shutting it off.

It's now a paperweight until I decide how to destroy it where I'll get some satisfaction.

You're better off using a real tablet with mapping add-on, at least you'll get full use of the tablet and not another device taking up valuable space in your Jeep.

Magellan has good marketing but all in all, it's a polished turd and not worth the buy

Rubicon310

I bought the Magellan TRX7 in hopes of eliminating carrying multiple devices.

I wish I would've returned it when I had the chance but I bought into their promises of useful updates that still haven't happened.

Even though it's built on Android, you have to sideload apps because they don't want to enter into and agreement with Google to make it a useful tablet.

And not all apps will work once you get them installed because it does not support Google Play.

The GPS function has gotten better but saving destinations or creating routes is clumsy. I've spent hours creating routes only to have them disappear after shutting it off.

It's now a paperweight until I decide how to destroy it where I'll get some satisfaction.

You're better off using a real tablet with mapping add-on, at least you'll get full use of the tablet and not another device taking up valuable space in your Jeep.

Magellan has good marketing but all in all, it's a polished turd and not worth the buy

Thanks for your input! I was beginning to sense the same thing from reading reviews online. It’s always a hit and miss when reading reviews on products like this from amazon. Thanks for your honest answer. I think I’ll stay clear of this unit and continue to use my old Magellan Explorist 610 handheld unit!

WiscoHR

I've been really happy using my iPad mini in combination with a Dual Bluetooth GPS receiver. I use it with 3 different apps. MotionX-GPS as the main one as you can store offline maps and forward preset tracks from google maps. 2nd app is Avenza which works great in national forests for downloads of mvum. The last app I use off my iPhone which is 4x4 trails from Funtreks.

Top Bottom