Good suspension set up to go bombing through dunes Jeep tj

Tobi

I have a Jeep tj. I realize it's not a pre runner and never will be lol. But whats a good suspension set up to be able to go a decent pace(30-40mph) through wide trails and dunes? I find myself having to slow way way down whenever I encounter small bumps on the dunes because it bounces and feels to rough to go any faster. Right now it just has a 4" short arm kit. Would a long arm kit and some aftermarket bump stops make it ride better? I mostly play on the rocks but like to open it up every now and then on the dunes. Just kinda want a fun all arounder

Sent from my LGLS775 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
YES! On a TJ with that much lift, you really should be running on long arms as they will help correct your suspension geometry and help improve your ride significantly.

What have you been airing tires down to? I assume you disconnect the swaybar? I don't think any off the shelf suspension kit will be able to handle 40+ on the whoops on the windy days at silver unless you're looking to drop some serious money and trial and error, watch Eddies new pursuit video he did in the desert and even his full coilover system was working extremely hard. What suspension do you have now? Long arms will make a huge difference to ride quality. When you say it feels too "rough" what do you mean? Is it rebounding too hard, are you bottoming out onto the bumpstops etc?

Also, don't "Just send it" they don't allow alcohol there for a reason.

TrailHunter

Hooked
I just spent all weekend in the dunes with my stock JKUR and it did amazing... everywhere except the whoops.... when I say whoops, I mean long runs of tightly spaced consecutive small to large bumps.... I could be wrong here, but Unless you are running a long arm coil over setup.... you just have to creep through it.

Tobi

Definitely not talking about the whoops I wouldn't expect to go hauling through whoops on a short wheel base tj nor be jumping by any means I would bend an axle pretty quickly. I pretty much want to be able to go faster through all of the cross ruts and small bumps and have a softer ride. I do disconnect the sway bar and I air my tires down to about 5-10 psi depending on conditions. It will go anywhere I want to on the dunes just very slowly because of the stiff ride. I don't think I'm bottoming out? But I could be wrong I should throw my GoPro under there next time and see what the suspension is doing.

Tobi

YES! On a TJ with that much lift, you really should be running on long arms as they will help correct your suspension geometry and help improve your ride significantly.
Sorry I should have been more specific. It is actually a 3" suspension then a 1.25" body lift

So with a long arm kit is there and kit I can use with my 3" lift springs?

Yes, all a long arm kit itself does is move your mounting points to roughly your skid plate and has longer control arms, spring heights are unaffected. With larger springs you want to run a long arm kit because it allows the springs to compress and rebound with less force because of the leverage giving a better ride.

jesse3638

Hooked
Lots of people don’t know how to drive fast enough for their suspension to work. Whether it’s coilovers or standard coils.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Found this out by accident on my "off road" drive to work. There are some smallish whoops and was approaching at what I thought was way to fast 35-40mph. Just held on and hoped for the best as there was no way to slow down. Surprisingly it just soaked them up. So for good measure I ran through them several more times to make sure it wasn't a fluke..haha. Still don't think I'd have the stones to attempt it on whoops like Moby was flying through on the pursuit video..haha.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

TrailHunter

Hooked
Definitely not talking about the whoops I wouldn't expect to go hauling through whoops on a short wheel base tj nor be jumping by any means I would bend an axle pretty quickly. I pretty much want to be able to go faster through all of the cross ruts and small bumps and have a softer ride. I do disconnect the sway bar and I air my tires down to about 5-10 psi depending on conditions. It will go anywhere I want to on the dunes just very slowly because of the stiff ride. I don't think I'm bottoming out? But I could be wrong I should throw my GoPro under there next time and see what the suspension is doing.

Got it... Yeah Whoop sections are a different beast for sure and having been through them in several types of vehicles ranging from stockers to built coilover cars, I can safely say Suspension makes a HUGE difference..... My buddies and I always joke... "gotta get on top of them....just don't lift, cuz then your f@#kd" ...... But burning through the dunes and hitting ruts or small bumps along the way, seems to come down to timing, and decent travel. Because you can still get bucked like a bronco if you hit it wrong or if your suspension is tight or travel is lacking and your bottoming out hard. Sounds like maybe you need a softer spring set up with some nice shocks.... and maybe some quality bump stops. I've been going to the dunes for 20 years and I'm by no means an expert on the subject, but I always have fun no matter what type of vehicle I'm in.

PT1400

I've got a 97 with hockey pucks over a 15 year old lift and worn out shocks. Runs the dunes just fine at those speeds. Look into a set of adjustable shocks to start. See if that helps. If not, time for a long arm lift.

Top Bottom