Alternator shianiganz

Oreo_penguin536

I get paid to weld not to spell[emoji1483][emoji1483]

Anyway, was curious what would happen if an alternator got overloaded passed its limit?

I have a cb amp I’m setting up to be able to have quick disconnect plugs on for when I want to talk long distance with a few buddies. Problem is it needs 100 amps just to drive it and I believe my alternator max is 81 amps. Was just curious if I could do a test run with hooking everything up before I buy a new alternator or if I even need one

Thanks in advance guys!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BobNH

Have you done a lot of research on what you want to do? Alternator aside, can your antenna, or your system in general, take the increase? I assume you have, and are aware if all the implications and limitations, just figured I would mention it.
I don't know what options there are for the YJ, but the TJ could use certain higher output Dodge alts, maybe the Durango like the steering box? In any event, that's the TJ, my point is you can probably find a relatively bolt in replacement in researching older Dodge applications.
Good luck

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Maineiac

1000 watts is huge for a cb amplifier. Besides the vehicle power consumption problem you are facing, make sure the amp is a low drive amp...meaning is your 4 watt CB going to even drive the 1000 watt amp. Alot of amps need a higher drive to work. Also unless your buddies are way off in the distance and running huge power to talk back to you, it's a ton of overkill. Oh and don't key up unless you know no one in the area is listening, that much power can easily overload and destroy close radios listening.

Sent from my Pixel XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Oreo_penguin536

lol this won’t be used when off roading, I can turn it on and off and cut half power and all, this is gonna be strictly for long distance and skip, hence the quick disconnects on the wires that way I don’t have a 500+ dollar amp sitting asking to be stolen (my doors don’t lock[emoji23])

And my radio isn’t at 4watts ;)

BobNH

And to answer your question bluntly, hell yes it’s completely overkill but I wouldn’t be using it for off roading, wouldn’t even keep it in the Jeep for that
I can give a long wonder answer if you want more setails[emoji23]

Bored at work dealing with qual procedures so I googled a bit. It appears with some adapting a 98 GC alt will fit, as well as some 4.7 Dakotas. However, you will also need to upgrade the lead from alt to batt as 8g seems only good to 90a, where 4g might be in your area.
Again, just some misguided googlefoo, so I recommend you do it yourself and get a good feel for what is really entailed in doing this with a YJ electrical system.

Oreo_penguin536

Bored at work dealing with qual procedures so I googled a bit. It appears with some adapting a 98 GC alt will fit, as well as some 4.7 Dakotas. However, you will also need to upgrade the lead from alt to batt as 8g seems only good to 90a, where 4g might be in your area.
Again, just some misguided googlefoo, so I recommend you do it yourself and get a good feel for what is really entailed in doing this with a YJ electrical system.

That gives me another good point to look into, thanks🤙🏾

I’m hoping to run welding lead everywhere I could, have some of it sitting around that could be put to use

PT1400

So you think you've got an 81 amp alternator. Cool. You're using a 1 kW amp. What's your radio's amp or watt rating?

My 4.0 usually runs the alt at 14.2 volts and draws 3.2 amps to run just the engine at idle. I'm going to guess your radio pulls another, let's say 2 amps. Doing the math: 1000 W ÷ 14.2 volts, you should pull 70.4 amps. For let's say 75.6 amps total without anything else.

Your alternator should run that no problem providing it still can put out 81 amps. Your engine might dip pretty good.

What would happen if you went over the amperage rating on the alternator would be that the loads would then drain the battery. Usually there is a fuse on the back of the alternator that is set 5-10 amps above the alternator rating. If you drain your battery then you're dead in the water so to speak.

Good luck!

Oreo_penguin536

So you think you've got an 81 amp alternator. Cool. You're using a 1 kW amp. What's your radio's amp or watt rating?

My 4.0 usually runs the alt at 14.2 volts and draws 3.2 amps to run just the engine at idle. I'm going to guess your radio pulls another, let's say 2 amps. Doing the math: 1000 W ÷ 14.2 volts, you should pull 70.4 amps. For let's say 75.6 amps total without anything else.

Your alternator should run that no problem providing it still can put out 81 amps. Your engine might dip pretty good.

What would happen if you went over the amperage rating on the alternator would be that the loads would then drain the battery. Usually there is a fuse on the back of the alternator that is set 5-10 amps above the alternator rating. If you drain your battery then you're dead in the water so to speak.

Good luck!

🤙🏾

TLife

Doing the math: 1000 W ÷ 14.2 volts, you should pull 70.4 amps.

This assumes 100% efficiency. If it’s only 90% efficient it’ll be 78.2 Amps.

I don’t know much about amplifiers or their common efficiencies, but I would imagine somewhere in the manual it will tell you the input ratings.

Oreo_penguin536

oldroadie

If you located the reserve battery close to the amp your welding cable runs with cam locks could be really short and the rest of the wiring would be easy. That Red Arc piece looks the business for this application.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom