Currie Johnny Joint will not take grease

TheGrendel

:mad: I have one Johnny Joint that just will not take any grease. I tried backing the nipple off slightly. nothing. oh well, i guess it is time to replace with the low profile ones anyway.

tdougherty81

:mad: I have one Johnny Joint that just will not take any grease. I tried backing the nipple off slightly. nothing. oh well, i guess it is time to replace with the low profile ones anyway.

Are you able to work the joint around? I had one not taking grease. Pulled the arm off, stuck in a vise and worked it around. It was able to take grease after that.

WJCO

Meme King
Are you feeling zero resistance on grease gun or does grease gun feel solid like the handle won't move?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
First off, you need to make sure you're using a gun with a high psi. Second, what tdougherty81 said should help. You may just have a dried up patch of grease stopping things up. But, a gun with a high psi should push past it.

TheGrendel

Are you feeling zero resistance on grease gun or does grease gun feel solid like the handle won't move?

handle is solid. grease is building up in the hose. it's just not pushing into the joint. i don't seem to have a problem on any other joint.

Slimebones

What tdougherty81 said. But first, to avoid removing arm, try greasing at full stuff or full droop. Different position might allow grease to enter.

Last edited:

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
handle is solid. grease is building up in the hose. it's just not pushing into the joint. i don't seem to have a problem on any other joint.

I just went through this literally last weekend. I dont know if it is necessary or not, but I unbolted each control arm, 1 at a time, cleaned them up with brake cleaner, then joint by joint, worked them around a good bit (I dont have a bench, So I used the mounts on the jeep) then I backed out the zerk to finger tight, greased them, tightened the zerks back to a "logical torque" (mine seemed like they were assembled CRAZY tight. surprised they weren't stripped... anyway) then I worked the joint again, then reinstalled on the jeep. NONE of my joints would take grease when I started, ALL of them took grease in the end. :yup: AND no more annoying little creaks when getting in/out of the jeep. :cool: ... it's the little things, ya know?

Lucky! you only have ONE giving you trouble... :cheesy:

Last edited:
Top Bottom