Hinge Corrosion

jfdatlaw

I am now on my second set of corroded hinges on the hood and doors. Jeep replaced the first set under warranty and had them sent to a body shop for paint. Now that set is worse than the factory set and there is rust starting on the doors around the hinges. Time for a permanent fix.

The body shop I'm using says the prior shop did not properly prep the hinges and probably just sprayed them with paint. From what we can see from the stripped paint off the hinges, that sounds likely.

My current plan (with a different body shop) is to have the hinges stripped along with the bump out on the door where the hinges are mounted. Then I'm thinking to have it sprayed with Raptor Liner both on the hinges and the door area. My thought is to go with the body color again and I see Raptor is tintable but I'm not sure how close it will be to the factory color and I'm looking for feedback on that.

Has anybody done this? Any suggestions on alternatives?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Move out of the rust belt? :idontknow:

Sorry, that's gotta suck and I wish I had something I could offer in terms of a real fix. Must be frustrating as hell having to deal with salt.

KJs JK

Fluid film is the answer. This coating is amazing. All of the plow guys up here coat their equipment in it yearly and it saves them a ton on rust repairs. The salt won't stick to it at all, plus its non toxic.

They sell it in 11.5 oz aerosol cans for stuff like your door hinges. Hit it and work it into the hinges.

WJCO

Meme King
Fluid film is the answer. This coating is amazing. All of the plow guys up here coat their equipment in it yearly and it saves them a ton on rust repairs. The salt won't stick to it at all, plus its non toxic.

They sell it in 11.5 oz aerosol cans for stuff like your door hinges. Hit it and work it into the hinges.

Wow, you sure like Fluid Film. You've mentioned it like 4 times, lol.

KJs JK

Wow, you sure like Fluid Film. You've mentioned it like 4 times, lol.

Rustproofing is my Everest and fluid film is my sherpa.

It does need to be applied on a yearly basis, however the properties of Fluid Film allow you to just blast it everywhere under and around your car so it only takes about 15-20 mins to spray the whole car. It works it's way around into crevices and does not drip. It also protects electrical connections from corroding and lubricates joints. The coating also resists sticking from salt, snow, water (even car washes), and mud, all of which just falls off covered areas. The corrosion resistant properties prevent oxidation and rust.

There is a reason plow drivers, salt spreaders and farmers have been using this stuff for decades, along with the US navy.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Fluid film sucks ass. I have used it plenty of times before and it doesn’t help. Yearly basis? More like weekly basis. I rather properly wash my jeep than spray that crap all over it again. It actually started to strip the blue off my coilovers so had to wash it off right away.

Maineiac

I use fluid film on frames and body mounts. Stuff does work well, but as stated it smells horrible. In winter I try wash it every 2 weeks or so underneath and respray.

Sent from my Pixel XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

jfdatlaw

Move out of the rust belt? :idontknow:

Sorry, that's gotta suck and I wish I had something I could offer in terms of a real fix. Must be frustrating as hell having to deal with salt.

Yeah, the joys of Chicago. Unfortunately, it looks like this is just a design thing. I don't have an issue anywhere else or on my other vehicles. I thought Chrysler would cover it again since they knew it was a problem but no luck.

Eddie, how was the Raptor Liner on the tub of Jane? I looked at Line-X but it was too expensive. I thought Raptor was a good option. What do you think of that?

jeeeep

Hooked
I wouldn't use liner as a solution, especially around door hinges.

My theory is the movement of the hinges could cause cracks in the liner then you'd be trapping moister in and never see the rust until it's too late.

If it were me, I'd prep it really well and lay a couple of extra coats around those areas to help prevent it.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Buy a set of Kentrol Stainless Hinges. They come in polished or black. They salt water test their products in house. Being from Ohio they know the shit you have to deal with.

Top Bottom