Traction control keeps engaging when its not supposed to.

wolfette2

I have an '07 JKU that for last few months the traction control keeps flickering on when I am doing a tightish right hand turn or loop going between 25-30 mph.

Took it to the dealership because my regular mechanic says it sounds like it is the clockspring that was replaced last June due to the recall. Dealership first said it was the alignment. Charged me for that. I took it home and same issue happened in the same spot it always does.

Took it back to the stealership, with map as to where it always happens, and they were able to get it to do it but they say that the sensor is just too sensitive. They recalibrated the system.... no fix.

Anyone have any ideas other that my regular mechanics original thought?

Thanks for your time,

D 20170805_113343.jpg

JAGS

Hooked
First thing would be to check that you steering wheel is straight. Second thing is make sure your tires are not overinflated. Both are common and things that have happened to me. Easy to fix.

There are a couple more possible cause, but can't recall. I'm sure others will chime in.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have an '07 JKU that for last few months the traction control keeps flickering on when I am doing a tightish right hand turn or loop going between 25-30 mph.

Your steering wheel isn't centered. This is causing your computer to think that you're in a slide when making your right hand turn.

wolfette2

Steering wheel was centered before taking it to the dealership the first time but that is what they said it was and they "fixed it" with the alignment.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
It's most likely one of your speed sensors. I had the same issue and that's what it was for me. It was my right rear speed sensor. If you wheel in wet conditions like I do, that could cause them to get dirt in them which causes the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sorry to revive an old thread...and on my first post here.

My dad and I have been working on giving a 2007 2 door Rubicon a fresh start. We bought it with a 3.5" lift and 35s. We immediately replaced wheel bearings, seals, u-joints, ball joints, shocks and brakes. We also re-geared it to 5.13. The dealer recall on the airbag was also completed. Then we drove it 1400 miles to its new home in Colorado.

After getting it to Colorado we took it wheeling one time and then we replaced the steering gear box. That's when we started noticing the problem of the traction control kicking on during sweeping turns. It might have been there before, but we never noticed it. And the Jeep wasn't driven much after purchase before the repairs started.

The stock drag link couldn't be adjusted so we just replaced everything with Steer Smarts Yeti XD track bar, track bar relocation bracket, Yeti drag link flip, and XD tie rod. We also installed a rear Teraflex adjustable track bar and Core 4x4 control arms. We dialed it in pretty close but took it to a 4x4 shop for an alignment. The Jeep drives a ton better but the problem with the traction control kicking on in turns is still there.

The front wheel speed sensors are new with the new hub bearings. The rear ones came out when we did the regearing and got cleaned up. The steering wheel looks perfectly centered.

I've read tons of various forum posts and most blame an uncentered steering wheel. Living in the Rockies means switchbacks so this kicks on quite often. I have the ABS/ESC override hack installed but I prefer not to use that on the street. I'm at a loss here. I'm not sure what to do next.

jdofmemi

You say you cleaned the rear wheel speed sensors, but I had the same problem you describe on my 2015.

Code reader said intermittent signal from left rear speed sensor. I put a new one in and it cleared right up. The old one looked perfect, but was bad.

If you can get a code reader, try that, if not, speed sensors are cheap, and a common failure it seems.

wjtstudios

Hooked
^^this, and check the wires for any damage as well. I’ve also had the problem with the sensor plug getting corroded up here in Michigan with the salt in the roads and having to replace the plug to get a good signal. Good thing is, with code reader you can dial which wheel is giving you the code and trace it from there.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Ddays

Hooked
Those damn sensors are just plain evil. I had continuous issues with the rear passenger sensors and got tired to replacing them. I also installed the cutout switch so I no longer have to deal with them. Be curious to see if I continue to have problems with my new axle coming up.

Thanks for the responses folks. I have a bluetooth OBDII reader and some apps I tried using with no pending codes showing. I also think I have a TIPM problem. I have door locks that don't work the way they should. I know the actuators work because they self lock at speed. Sometimes the key will unlock them all but most times it will just unlock the driver's side. And the unlock button inside doesn't work but it will lock. Anyone know if a faulty TIPM could cause the traction control problem also? I haven't seen that mentioned in any threads. It's a shame. We've replaced so much, including transmission cooler lines and a cracked manifold, that this thing is practically like new with 95,000 miles. If I could just figure this problem out I'd be very happy.

Might be a sketchy clock spring.

That's been in the back of my mind. When we got it back from the dealer after the recall the wheel was turned off center a few degrees. We've straightened it with the drag link but I wonder what affect the clock spring might have. I'll be taking it to the dealer soon for a swap out of fuel filler neck. It's blowing fuel out on fill up and Jeep warranted that problem for life so the dealer has ordered the parts. I'll have them take a look and also run their code readers on it.

Slimebones

Just use that cutout switch. Makes driving through those sweeping curves much more controllable without that herky-jerky motion caused by that ESC. Most likely there is nothing else to be found. I installed this switch three years ago and nothing else seems to be adversely affected.

Another possible thing to look at:

Just because the steering wheel "looks" straight doesnt mean the computer sees it as centered. Whoever replaced the clockspring may not have put the wheel back on straight.... or there may be a clockspring issue
I've used the Jscan app to check the Steering Angle Sensor. You can turn the wheel and see exactly what degrees the computer is reading. You can also see error codes that do not normally show in the ABS/ traction control system.

El Burro

I tried all these fixes on my 07 JKU. Replaced the sensors, made sure the wheel was centered 8 times, replaced front hubs, etc, etc.

Even played with the SuperChips by incrementing wheel sizes for the 35’s, still kicked in.

The way I was able to solve was completely by accident as I was out of options. Instead of leaving the diff ratio at ‘stock’ setting in the SuperChips controller, I set it at the actual which was 4.10... an option in 2007 on non rubi jeeps. Yes, I checked my build sheet. Solved the issue in 30 seconds.

Give it a try. Select your actual ratio vs stock and see if that solves it. Worked for me, and only after I’d tried everything else.

Another possible thing to look at:

Just because the steering wheel "looks" straight doesnt mean the computer sees it as centered. Whoever replaced the clockspring may not have put the wheel back on straight.... or there may be a clockspring issue
I've used the Jscan app to check the Steering Angle Sensor. You can turn the wheel and see exactly what degrees the computer is reading. You can also see error codes that do not normally show in the ABS/ traction control system.

I have the JSCAN app but could not find steering angle sensor anywhere. Would that be because I have a 2007 model? The clock spring was replaced by dealer last year.

I tried all these fixes on my 07 JKU. Replaced the sensors, made sure the wheel was centered 8 times, replaced front hubs, etc, etc.

Even played with the SuperChips by incrementing wheel sizes for the 35’s, still kicked in.

The way I was able to solve was completely by accident as I was out of options. Instead of leaving the diff ratio at ‘stock’ setting in the SuperChips controller, I set it at the actual which was 4.10... an option in 2007 on non rubi jeeps. Yes, I checked my build sheet. Solved the issue in 30 seconds.

Give it a try. Select your actual ratio vs stock and see if that solves it. Worked for me, and only after I’d tried everything else.

I regeared it last May so the current axle ratio is set at 5.13.

I've since taken it to a specialty offroad shop and the Jeep dealer. Neither could solve the issue. The dealer scanned everything and reprogrammed it. Nothing worked. Living here in Western Colorado means I do a lot of switchbacks. It's annoying to have the traction control kicking on all the time.

Top Bottom