Too much backlash on new gears?? Help!

Dwhitt74

Just had my diffs re-geared to 5.38s a couple weeks ago. Today I hit the 500 mile break-in point, and after changing the rear fluid, I jumped up to inspect the front. I took a video of the amount of rotational play (backlash?) while turning the front drive shaft, and it seems excessive to me. But, I also don't really have any memory of how it was before. I was hoping that someone could try doing the same on theirs and see if they are seeing the same play. Thanks for any feedback!

You Tube

Edit: also, it's leaking a little at the pinion.

Sent from my Pixel XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

BaddestCross

Just had my diffs re-geared to 5.38s a couple weeks ago. Today I hit the 500 mile break-in point, and after changing the rear fluid, I jumped up to inspect the front. I took a video of the amount of rotational play (backlash?) while turning the front drive shaft, and it seems excessive to me. But, I also don't really have any memory of how it was before. I was hoping that someone could try doing the same on theirs and see if they are seeing the same play. Thanks for any feedback!

You Tube

Play when it's in 4WD or 2WD? Why didn't the shop that did your gears do the oil change? Usually they want to check the oil themselves to be sure all's well. The pinion shouldn't be leaking. Sounds like you should take it back to the shop.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

WJCO

Meme King
Backlash is typically around .006 to .010 and is near impossible to measure by eye or feel. Plus the pinion has to be 100% stationary while you move the ring gear. Your video didn't show up. Your pinion seal shouldn't be leaking.

jeeeep

Hooked
where did you have it done?

as mentioned, shouldn't be leaking.

When I had mine done, the shop insisted I return for the oil change and so they could check everything once more before calling it good.

Jody Treadway

You can't measure backlash by rotating the driveshaft. As was said, you have to hold the pinion stationary and rotate the carrier.
The seal shouldn't be leaking. I have found the aftermarket JK pinion seals tend to be very finicky and tend to leak more frequently than OEM ones. They take a little extra care when installing to prevent leaks.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Just had my diffs re-geared to 5.38s a couple weeks ago. Today I hit the 500 mile break-in point, and...

:doh: Why are you here and not AT THE SHOP you PAID good, hard earned money in exchange for them to do this job CORRECTLY?? :idontknow:

Dwhitt74

https://youtu.be/HQW6YpY3jyc

Sorry about the video...

Had a small shop in DFW do it. I knew because I would be commuting 2.5hrs back and forth that I would probably hit 500 while I wasn't in DFW, so I did the oil change myself, which was the expected glittery slurry. The play in the video is while in 2hi with trans in Park. Someone on another forum, I think answered it for me- The play I feel at the driveshaft is the sum of all the play throughout the pinion/ring gear/spider gears/axle shafts/u joints. That makes sense in hindsight.

I'll clean the pinion up real good and keep an eye on it. If it's still leaking when I go back to DFW Monday, then I'll take it by the shop. Thanks guys!

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
That video you posted and deleted shows your pinion is leaking. You need to bring it back to the shop. As for the rotation on the shaft, what you are showing is perfectly normal.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom