Drummond Island Summer Run August 1-5, 2018

wjtstudios

Hooked
As we were kicking around in the feeler thread we are talking about a August 1-5, 2018 Drummond Island Run. Depending on how many jeeps we have, we may break it up into a couple of groups and tackle different locations based on what everyone wants to experience. I would like to limit this run to 15-20 jeeps so that way we can cover more ground. We of course will be tackling most of the state trails which alone can fill three days. The other options are Turtle Ridge, which I hope to spend one of the days at, fossil beach, which is a cool destination that we could do in an afternoon. The plan would be to arrive on Wednesday the 1st in the afternoon on the island, but coming in on Thursday or Friday is fine to if you can make it up on Wednesday. We could all meet up mid drive and do the second half of the trip up as a group and convoy across the bridge and ferry. My group will be staying at a cabin at the Drummond Island Resort (their information is listed below). The resort is right at one of the trail heads (it is close to Turtle Ridge) and will be our launching point for the days runs. Its a great place to stay and is pretty reasonable. There are places you can camp as well if you choose. We can develop a trail schedule as we get closer to the trip once we know how many jeeps we will have and what everyone would like to tackle. We will be on our own for food, so bring what you need. There are a couple of restaurants there on the island for Breakfast and Dinners. Lunches will be on the trail so pack food. This is going to be a family event. I will have my son with me who's been up there with me for two seasons. My nephews will also be coming up with my brother-in-law and his JKUR. Here's a quick video of last years run. It will give you an idea of what to expect. And yes, you can bypass the deep water holes.....

https://youtu.be/QPXzTbYaMN8

Recommended Gear:

CB Radio

Recovery Gear

Food and drinks

appropriate gear for the weather

Lodging:

The Drummond Island Resort
www.Drummondisland.com
33494 S Maxton Rd, Drummond, MI 49726
906-493-1000
thelodge@drummondisland.com

Please post up the following:

1) your jeeps info
2) your experience level
3) you timing, if you think it may be different that the 1-5
4) Whether or not you would like go to Turtle Ridge

So far we tentatively have the following:

1) wjtstudios (Bill) JKUR
2) JimR JKUR
3) Cole LJ
4)JKBrick
5)JK Brick’s son
6)Jaylynn
7)Rst8rox +1
8)19YJ94
9)nbunga
10)AnvilRubicon+1
11)Chris gearhart
12)
13)
14)
15)
16)

The maybe list:
1) Rumblebee
2) ctznarcane
3) H20-U-UP
4) ZachJKUR
5)13_Gecko_rubi

Last edited:

JKbrick

Subscribed, Brick is a 09 2 door, Evo leveling kit with 285 duratracs, winch, working cb by then, not a ton of experience in the jeep I’ve always had dirt bikes and quads. That said I’m comfortable with most terrain but I don’t care for steep hills for some reason. The off road park sounds fun, if there is something I’m not good at I’ll just watch! Would love to make all the days but work will dictate my arrival. Looking forward to meeting everyone

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
Hey heres the info:

Spirit is an 11' 2 door, winch, cb, front and rear recovery points, 275 Duratracs on 18" wheels

Experience is moderate on trails, quarries

Dates 1-5 are good

Yes I would lile to try out Turtle Creek

Rst8rox

Here’s my stats

98 Tj Gm 6.0l, PSC armor everywhere, 39.5 iroks, recovery points front an back, warn winch, cb, built axles lockers front/rear

Will be up Thursday. I have run the island quite a few times... plenty of Offroad experience. I’m down to run anything!!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app IMG_0648.jpg

Last edited:

wjtstudios

Hooked
Here’s my stats

98 Tj Gm 6.0l, PSC armor everywhere, 39.5 iroks, recovery points front an back, warn winch, cb, built axles lockers front/rear

Will be up Thursday. I have run the island quite a few times... plenty of Offroad experience. I’m down to run anything!!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app View attachment 291912

Awesome Jeep! With all that experience, I think that that means I don’t have to be trail leader!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
Just a couple of things about me and my rig.
2015 JKUR on 37s and a EVO 4” springs with a EVO LA kit. I been in Drummond 7 times in the last decade. I’ll be there Wednesday thru Sunday and staying at the resort.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Looks like a great time! You could put me down as tentative Wednesday thru Friday, but I wouldn’t want to take a spot from someone else who can fully commit. My wife is currently working on the kids summer camp schedule and that might interfere. My ‘16 JKU “Oscar” is mostly stock right down to the stock Good Year road tires. He does however have a winch and assorted recovery items. I’m working on a budget boost and will certainly have a cb for the trip. My experience has been playing around on the pipeline and National Forest roads in Northern Wisconsin a few times during the last couple of summers. If I’m not a good fit because I will probably have the smallest Jeep, then no problem! I wouldn’t want to hold anybody up! Otherwise it would be me (Chris) with my brother (Jeremy) or a friend as copilot.

Turtle Ridge look cool, but it would all be new to me. I’d be up for any of it.

Is everyone planning to stay at the resort? If someone were to want to camp, I could go either way.

Last edited:

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
Here's my info. 2017 JKR Recon, metric 35's will be on it in March(and I'll immediately wish I had 37s) along with whatever lift is necessary to avoid rubbing, probably rancho 2" or Mopar hightop fenders complete by end of march. CB, assorted recovery gear, no winch yet still waiting on the perfect zeon 10s deal, RockHard skids, viar 450p compressor.

Moderate trail/mud experience in trucks/jeeps, lots of quad and dirt bike experience. No rock crawling experience at all unless you count mall parking stops.

I'm up for whatever the group wants to do except for turning the Jeep into a u-boat(water is fine just not looking to anything crazy deep). I'll stay in a room or get a cabin depending on some others heading up there.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
I did the same thing when I ordered my 35s. Immediate buyers remorse. I forced my self to wait for 30k miles before I bought my 37s. Should have just started there.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Here's my info. 2017 JKR Recon, metric 35's will be on it in March(and I'll immediately wish I had 37s) along with whatever lift is necessary to avoid rubbing, probably rancho 2" or Mopar hightop fenders complete by end of march. CB, assorted recovery gear, no winch yet still waiting on the perfect zeon 10s deal, RockHard skids, viar 450p compressor.

Moderate trail/mud experience in trucks/jeeps, lots of quad and dirt bike experience. No rock crawling experience at all unless you count mall parking stops.

I'm up for whatever the group wants to do except for turning the Jeep into a u-boat(water is fine just not looking to anything crazy deep). I'll stay in a room or get a cabin depending on some others heading up there.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

I am going to get you to go thru Conners Hole! It’s not that deep. It’s just a mental thing looking at a crossing that’s a couple hundred yards long. But it is a Cool experience

wjtstudios

Hooked
Looks like a great time! You could put me down as tentative Wednesday thru Friday, but I wouldn’t want to take a spot from someone else who can fully commit. My wife is currently working on the kids summer camp schedule and that might interfere. My ‘16 JKU “Oscar” is mostly stock right down to the stock Good Year road tires. He does however have a winch and assorted recovery items. I’m working on a budget boost and will certainly have a cb for the trip. My experience has been playing around on the pipeline and National Forest roads in Northern Wisconsin a few times during the last couple of summers. If I’m not a good fit because I will probably have the smallest Jeep, then no problem! I wouldn’t want to hold anybody up! Otherwise it would be me (Chris) with my brother (Jeremy) or a friend as copilot.

Turtle Ridge look cool, but it would all be new to me. I’d be up for any of it.

Is everyone planning to stay at the resort? If someone were to want to camp, I could go either way.

We don’t have a total count yet of who are staying at the resort, but I think most will.

Turtle creek is a lot of fun, but there are some large obstacles in there.

Hope you guys can make it. It’s a long drive from Wisconsin. My father works with Charter Steel over there. Taking the ferry across might save you a little time.

Top Bottom