Help with new fenders. What’s everyone’s thoughts.

mauijim

I recently put on Cooper 37’s STT Pros and need to replace my factory OEM fenders and can’t make up my mind. Was wondering what are some pros and cons of different fenders out there.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

CarolinaJK

Basically here is the overview. Oem flares will provide you with the ability to have them ripped off without damaging the fender. Metal flares look nice, but run the risk of transferring all the energy of a hit to the fender.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
1 option is to trim up your existing fenders. it’s free, customized, and doesn’t cause your body to crumpled if you hit a rock or tree.

Another option is using PS/Evo metal flares, the inverse of what I mention. But they do look nice.

MCE makes some carbon fiber flares. The look good and don’t cause additional body damage. Somewhat expensive.

WJCO

Meme King
I recently put on Cooper 37’s STT Pros and need to replace my factory OEM fenders and can’t make up my mind. Was wondering what are some pros and cons of different fenders out there.

You can trim them for free, we have a whole thread on it.

If you buy aftermarket, the plastic ones are more flexible and if you hit a fixed object they will typically bend and then bend back or rip off and you can just replace the clips and re-fasten them again. Whereas the solid ones can potentially damage the Jeep body because they're so rigidly attached. The force of the object can transfer through the solid fender and bend the Jeep body.

Gbint

Speaking of new fenders, what about those front JL signals. They seem to have forgotten that all front lights were put inboard to prevent light damage.

Bear_JT

Hooked
Save the money and trim your factory ones. Invest saved money into something you’ll really find useful or need. I’ll be trimming mine as soon as I have a nice warm day.

WJCO

Meme King
So if I trim them how much narrower will they get? If been pulled over 3 times with my old tires sticking out about 2” and they were 12.50 and my new tires are 13.50 Just don’t want to get hassled with even more tire sticking out.

This thread has loads of photos. You can trim them as narrow as you want, or even leave a small lip on the side so the width doesn't change at all: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/3547-Cut-Fender-Thread

TRLJNKY

You can trim them right to the edge if needed. So you wont lose much if any in width but gain clearance

Last edited:
IMG_0188.jpg I literally just went through this exact thing.
...and this is what I did
IMG_0192.JPG
IMG_0195.jpg

I vote for spending a few hours of time and about $40.00 in materials and trimming your stock flares.

Top Bottom