Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone on FIRE path?

Quote Originally Posted by JAGS View Post
    Uh, are you actually criticizing pensions for first responders? Nice.
    Iím saying I wish I had a tax-payer funded pension plan. Itís not just the fire guys that have them, but the reference was apropos given the acronym in the original post.

Quote Originally Posted by DWiggles View Post
    They can't. "The federal Reserve" issues the "bills" to the Government... WE (US Citizens) are the collateral they loan against; and GUESS who gets to pay those "BILLS"... Yup. You and Me.

Go Ahead, try to not pay your taxes... see how easily they will let you NOT pay their debts.

#but who would build the roads
    Precisely. Hard to be that eloquent while I'm driving down a highway built with my tax dollars and then get charged to use. Thanks for clarifying how the government rapes us every day. 😎

--
    Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
    Build Thread: The Adventures of Fiona
    '08 JKR Rescue Green 2-Door

Quote Originally Posted by fiend View Post
    Iím saying I wish I had a tax-payer funded pension plan. Itís not just the fire guys that have them, but the reference was apropos given the acronym in the original post.
    Well, you could risk your life everyday, become a teacher, or run for office and make a difference in the system. What are you waiting for. Go get those tax dollars.
    I think I may consider lifting my Jeep. Or not.
    The Evolution of ENVY

Quote Originally Posted by fiend View Post
    Exactly...

State universitys are another 'shining' example.
    '14 JKUR

And just so I make a contribution to this thread. Some good advice given to me a long time ago. If you have the option to participate in an employer matched retirement account, invest a small part of your salary.

If you can invest the same % as the match max, you are getting all that "free" money towards your future.

Not sure if that is FIRE or not, but it's good advice.
    I think I may consider lifting my Jeep. Or not.
    The Evolution of ENVY

And just so I make a contribution to this thread. Some good advice given to me a long time ago. If you have the option to participate in an employer matched retirement account, invest a small part of your salary.

If you can invest the same % as the match max, you are getting all that "free" money towards your future.

It's definitely good advice and something the FIRE folks would support. As you say, it's literally free money. Not putting in up to your employer match is foolish.

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteCrystal View Post
    It's definitely good advice and something the FIRE folks would support. As you say, it's literally free money. Not putting in up to your employer match is foolish.
    This for sure. More often than not, employer retirement plans suck, but if they're matching, use it to get as much free money as you can. 👍

--
    Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
    Build Thread: The Adventures of Fiona
    '08 JKR Rescue Green 2-Door

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteCrystal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BaddestCross View Post
    This for sure. More often than not, employer retirement plans suck, but if they're matching, use it to get as much free money as you can. 👍

--
    Never, Ever EVER leave money just SITTING on the table.

My wife and I both contribute to our pension. We put in 7% per check, employer puts in 14%. Plan is to increase our share next year despite employer being maxed out on their contribution. It would be stupid not to participate.

I am on a good track for this. If all goes as planned, home and vehicles will be paid off in 5 years. I can retire in 8 but will probably drop for the additional money. Pension is contributed with a match. The only twist being tossed around will be a small RV. The wife is highly interested in one and our goal is to jump after the home and vehicles are done and get it knocked out before I retire or drop. We have considered moving on the RV now and seeing about it all being complete inside of 5 years. Downside to that is a big chunk less contributed to savings each year.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast