Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shift knob removal on a 13 jk

Shift knob removal on a 13 jk

I've been trying to get this of for days. I'm starting to get highly frustrated. Any tips on removing? I've followed directions from other threads but have gotten nowhere.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Parks34 View Post
    I've been trying to get this of for days. I'm starting to get highly frustrated. Any tips on removing? I've followed directions from other threads but have gotten nowhere.

Just took mine off and itís a pain. Twist them back and forth for a while then sit on the console with a foot on each floor board and pull, like youíve never pulled, and they will pop off

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by JKbrick View Post
    Just took mine off and itís a pain. Twist them back and forth for a while then sit on the console with a foot on each floor board and pull, like youíve never pulled, and they will pop off

If you didn't plan on reusing them would it be possible to make a couple vertical relief cuts with a dremmel? Just to relieve some of the pressure holding them on. I haven't tried removing them, I'm just curious

Quote Originally Posted by Arrcherr View Post
    If you didn't plan on reusing them would it be possible to make a couple vertical relief cuts with a dremmel? Just to relieve some of the pressure holding them on. I haven't tried removing them, I'm just curious
    Sure would, Iíll cut mine in half so you can see the insides, as soon as I get them back

Sure would, Iíll cut mine in half so you can see the insides, as soon as I get them back

Cool, thanks. Now if I need to take them off I'll know what to expect.

Did you make new knobs? I checked your build thread but didn't see pics.

If itís the same as my Ď15 it is ridiculously easy compared to my Ď09. Just pop the compression fitting down (itís on the bottom of the knob). The knob itself will then come off with a good tug. In my Ď09, removing the shifter was almost a guaranteed black eye.

To be clear, the bottom piece of the knob needs to be slid down the shaft before you try to pull the main part of the knob off of the shaft.
    Last edited by Sharkey; 02-06-2018 at 04:10 AM.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Caught the Bug

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
    If itís the same as my Ď15 it is ridiculously easy compared to my Ď09. Just pop the compression fitting down (itís on the bottom of the knob). The knob itself will then come off with a good tug. In my Ď09, removing the shifter was almost a guaranteed black eye.

To be clear, the bottom piece of the knob needs to be slid down the shaft before you try to pull the main part of the knob off of the shaft.
    Yea I just changed mine, just take a screw driver and pry down the bottom half, then wiggle the top part off. Took a little force but came off fairly easy...mine is a 2013 as well

Nothing but a Thing QuicksilverJK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post

Yeah the black eye thing is no joke on the older models. I have had to pull mine a few times. I found if you put a wrench that just fits the shaft under it and give it a good upward smack with a dead blow it pops off pretty easy.

This thing is being absolutely awful. I'm thinking about just gripping it with vice grips and yanking, but I'm honesty scared about damaging the shifter itself ( yanking and tugging on the tenant)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast