Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In-Cab Winch Control

In-Cab Winch Control

So I recently got a Painless Trail Rocker system and am in the middle of installing it. It’s pre-wired for a winch control, although you apparently need to separately purchase the “Painless Wiring 57150 Trail Rocker Winch Control Add On” switch.

So the question is whether to go this route or stick with the wired remote control. I like the idea of going the Painless route, but it adds something else that could fail, and I’m not too keen on having to fumble around for the switch panel to control the winch. Thoughts?

Also, for anyone who is familiar with the Painless winch add on switch, does it automatically return to center (off), or do you need to switch it manually to off from either “in” or “out?”
    Last edited by fiend; 02-06-2018 at 04:01 PM.

That’s a good question. I’m like you in that the tried and true wired controller works and gives you the ability to use it inside or outside of the jeep. Interested to hear other opinions though.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Knows a Thing or Two RockinAZJK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fiend View Post
    So I recently got a Painless Trail Rocker system and am in the middle of installing it. It’s pre-wired for a winch control, although you apparently need to separately purchase the “Painless Wiring 57150 Trail Rocker Winch Control Add On” switch.

So the question is whether to go this route or stick with the wired remote control. I like the idea of going the Painless route, but it adds something else that could fail, and I’m not too keen on having to fumble around for the switch panel to control the winch. Thoughts?

Also, for anyone who is familiar with the Painless winch add on switch, does it automatically return to center (off), or do you need to switch it manually to off from either “in” or “out?”
    Is there a way that you could wire the painless system onto the winch just below the external plug on the winch that way if the panel has an issue you can still get out the winch remote and run it?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I have the Painless winch control, the winch switch automatically returns to center (off)

you can still use your standard winch control as well, it doesn't eliminate the controller your winch came with

Quote Originally Posted by jeeeep View Post
    I have the Painless winch control, the winch switch automatically returns to center (off)

you can still use your standard winch control as well, it doesn't eliminate the controller your winch came with
    Do you use and like the in cab switch?

Fresh Catch
    I also have the painless in cab switch. It's nice to have when getting yourself out of a sticky spot.

Sent from my SM-G930P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Do you use and like the in cab switch?
    I do like it, the few times I've used it it's been great.

Quote Originally Posted by jeeeep View Post
    I do like it, the few times I've used it it's been great.
    Cool. I’ll invest the $20 or whatever for the switch and give it a try.

Despite the in-cab can be more convenient, having a standard wired (or wireless) control is more versatile because it also lets you control the winch from outside also. Even though this requires a lot of caution because of lines snapping.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Nothing but a Thing BaddestCross's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahara_Maverick View Post
    Despite the in-cab can be more convenient, having a standard wired (or wireless) control is more versatile because it also lets you control the winch from outside also. Even though this requires a lot of caution because of lines snapping.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Agreed. Good thing this setup lets you keep the original winch controller in place as stated a few posts back. 😉

--
    Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
    --
    Build Thread: Adventures with Fiona
    '08 JKR Rescue Green 2-Door

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast