continous start on cold start

RAM-FH

on cold starts, when I turn my ignition it just continually tries to start. Sounds as if my starter is sticking. If i turn my key back and restart it cranks right up with a strong smell of gas. Is it my starter or just do a tune-up? Is it electrical?

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
Welcome to WAL from Indiana!

If you haven't given it a tune up, I would start there. Theres a write up somewhere. Search for it, or someone may post a link.

TRLJNKY

on cold starts, when I turn my ignition it just continually tries to start. Sounds as if my starter is sticking. If i turn my key back and restart it cranks right up with a strong smell of gas. Is it my starter or just do a tune-up? Is it electrical?
I have two 07's that will do this on occassion. Excessive crank before start. All maintenance is done and even changed out cam sensors. Ive chalked it up as normal for these to do this on occasion and stopped worrying about it. Its almost like they are waiting for a reference signal before ignition. As mentioned above if you havnt done a tuneup Id def look into that still but it may or may not resolve your issue. At least give you piece of mind.

I should note this has been a normal behavior for mine (on occasion) since Ive owned them but niether has left me stranded and they always start.

Ill watch this and see if anyone else has some input. Gl

aka cavfighter

BobNH

When you say it sounds as if your "starter is sticking", what do you mean? Does it make a loud high pitched whine, like it's spinning but not turning anything? Or you turn the key and the starter turns it over but doesn't stop when you let off, and the engine won't fire?
There is a feature apparently with the jk, my 2008 at least, that if you turn the key to start and quickly back, it does a full start attempt anyway. Sorry I can't explain that any better though. You try thinking when kids have "Impractical Jokers" cranked... ;)
Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
I have two 07's that will do this on occassion. Excessive crank before start. All maintenance is done and even changed out cam sensors. Ive chalked it up as normal for these to do this on occasion and stopped worrying about it. Its almost like they are waiting for a reference signal before ignition. As mentioned above if you havnt done a tuneup Id def look into that still but it may or may not resolve your issue. At least give you piece of mind.

I should note this has been a normal behavior for mine (on occasion) since Ive owned them but niether has left me stranded and they always start.

Ill watch this and see if anyone else has some input. Gl

aka cavfighter

You said cam sensor, have you checked or changed a crankshaft sensor? If I'm not mistaken they reference both for startup, but will run on signal from one or the other. I know it's a whole other beast, but caterpillar engines will crank long before starting if either or is bad.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

TRLJNKY

You said cam sensor, have you checked or changed a crankshaft sensor? If I'm not mistaken they reference both for startup, but will run on signal from one or the other. I know it's a whole other beast, but caterpillar engines will crank long before starting if either or is bad.

I havnt looked at it. Cam was easy to get to. They both start and it does it intermittently so just kinda said F' it. It is what it is. If it gets worse Ill deal with it than but its been like this for a few years now.
Thanks for the heads up though. We will see how far the OP pursues it though I guess.

aka cavfighter

RAM-FH

the starter turns over, but no high pitch sound. the engine keeps turning without starting. It is embarrassing not starting and the smell of gas when it does is annoying too. I most definitely will do the tune up since its due. I've ran across other jeepers at gas station and have had a few with same problem, just no solution.

TRLJNKY

the starter turns over, but no high pitch sound. the engine keeps turning without starting. It is embarrassing not starting and the smell of gas when it does is annoying too. I most definitely will do the tune up since its due. I've ran across other jeepers at gas station and have had a few with same problem, just no solution.
Im in the same boat. Looked it up at one point and it seems fairly common and why I just kinda gave up. Im pretty sure its a reference issue. Not worth paying the dealership to look at it due to inconsistencies. For some reason the computer doesnt catch the signal at times. Wish I had a no shit answer for you but like I said, Ive been struggling with that fault two fold for a while. If you do figure it out please let me know.

aka cavfighter

kbsvo2go

Im in the same boat. Looked it up at one point and it seems fairly common and why I just kinda gave up. Im pretty sure its a reference issue. Not worth paying the dealership to look at it due to inconsistencies. For some reason the computer doesnt catch the signal at times. Wish I had a no shit answer for you but like I said, Ive been struggling with that fault two fold for a while. If you do figure it out please let me know.

aka cavfighter

One reason the starter will continue to spin even after you've released the key is the TIP Start feature. If you just bump the starter with the key in the start position and release it the starter will continue to spin until the engine starts. If the engine does not start and you turn the ignition off the starter should stop as well. If the starter continues to spin you have a bad starter or relay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jeeeep

Hooked
have you scanned for any codes?

I'd replace the PCV valve while you're doing the tune up.

bad PCV valve will cause hard starting.

FallonJeeper

Check amperage on your battery.
I had a similar issue with another vehicle. Ended up being the battery.
Something to do with the way the vehicle is trying to start with turn the key and release style starter. It may sound strange but something to look at, Just to rule it out.

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
Check amperage on your battery.
I had a similar issue with another vehicle. Ended up being the battery.
Something to do with the way the vehicle is trying to start with turn the key and release style starter. It may sound strange but something to look at, Just to rule it out.

also check this ^^^ - any autopart store should be able to test your cranking amps.

my battery would act like it was dead but tested fine...took it to Orielly where they used a more advanced testing tool than I had access to and found the cranking amps were bad. Rest of the battery tested good.

Couple of other weird issues also resolved after replacing the battery.

TRLJNKY

These guys bring up some valid points. One difference between yours and mine is you state yours does it when cold. Both mine do it when they feel like it cold or hot and I will also get the fuel smell when they do.

Mine will always eventually start but instead of just a couple quick revolutions and than a fire they will occasionally turn over what seems like 10 or so times before it finally starts. In my case I dont think its a starter or relay because Im getting fuel but no ignition and its both Jeeps. Once they get ignition they fire. Thats why Im leaning toward a reference signal from either the cam or crank sensors. I have changed the cam sensors.

I have zero codes and have replaced both PCV's to no avail. As it was recommended earlier, I strongly encourage doing this with the tuneup if you dont know the history. They are cheap and easy.

Ive changed my wifes battery and it didnt help her cause. Mine is a few years old at this point. Its worth checking out and make sure the battery is healthy. If you didnt know most auto parts stores will check it for free.

Anyway, Ive been chasing this ghost for a while and like I said earlier I just kind of accepted it. It is embarrasing when your at a store or gas station when it does act up for sure but they have never left me stranded because of it. Only thing I can think of doing is changing my crank sensors as Quicksilverjk stated. Everything is else is good . Ive done plugs, wires, pcv valves, a battery, and both cam sensors. Even checked fuel pressure.

Not trying to be a negative Nancy as I hope you have better luck than me. Im just trying to share my experience with this issue x2. If you do figure it out, please by all means let me know.

My ‘07 does that same thing. Always has. I’ve often wondered why as well. I’m interested to know opinions.

thombull

My 2010 has done it intermittently over the past couple years also. When I go to start it when it's cold I will occasionally get a no start. Meaning the starter will continually turn over even after I have taken my hand off the key which was left in the run position. But the motor does not start. I have to turn the ignition switch back to off to get the starter to stop. Then I restart the process over and then the motor will fire up this time.

Sent from my QMV7A using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
the crank position sensor is inexpensive and easy to replace.

1st I'd check the wires to on it as they are near lot of heat and on the 3.8 the shielding gets brittle and falls off.

If you replace the sensor, remember to completely disconnect the battery for at least a full 15 minutes to allow the capacitors to drain - this will allow the system to "relearn" the new part you just installed.

hell, may not be a bad idea to disconnect the battery and see if it helps the issue.

Top Bottom