Too tall for JL, any solutions?

Oversize

Hello everyone,

I've been excited watching the release of the new JL and planned on getting one later this year. I haven't had a Jeep for 16 years and that was a 1991 XJ. I didn't have that very long because it was a tight fit for me. I am 6'8 and my knees hit the dash.

I found out yesterday my uncle picked up a new JL Rubicon so I ran over to check it out. I was immediately disappointed when now my head was snug against the sound bar and roof. My knees fit now but my head doesn't.

I've seen brackets that allow seats to move back further but haven't seen any that lower the actual seat. Does anyone know of a solution to this problem? Do you think someone will make brackets that lower the seat? Or will I need to buy aftermarket seats right away and will that help?

I am extremely bummed because I don't know of any vehicle as capable as a Wrangler and at this point don't see it being possible for me to use. Anyone have any ideas or solutions?

Obligatory picture of my uncle's JL Attach27335_20180209_123228.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's a lot more money but installing a set of MasterCraft Baja RS seats will help out a lot. They sit about 2" lower than factory.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Obviously I haven’t looked under the seats of a JL, but I would imagine someone could custom make rails for the seat that drop the seat down lower.

nbunga

Caught the Bug
Do you for in a JK? If so you can still get those new. I'm 6'5" and have no problems fitting in mine. I'm long legged though so that and the fact your 3" taller might make a big difference.

Oversize

It's a lot more money but installing a set of MasterCraft Baja RS seats will help out a lot. They sit about 2" lower than factory.
Thank you for the info. I was definitely hoping for a more affordable solution but figured this would be my only option. I wasn't sure if aftermarket seats would be lower, but I think the 2" drop will be just enough to make it work for me.

Oversize

Do you for in a JK? If so you can still get those new. I'm 6'5" and have no problems fitting in mine. I'm long legged though so that and the fact your 3" taller might make a big difference.
I haven't actually say in a JK so I am not sure. That might be an option although I have been pretty set on the new JL.

jeeeep

Hooked
you could probably have some brackets custom made at a welding shop for a reasonable price.

Is the soundbar on the JL removable like the JK? make even be able to move it back a little.

Oversize

SDG here in the forum is 6’10” and has no problem in his JK. Maybe you need to adjust the seat?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
I had the seat all the way down and all the way back. A lot of my height is in my torso area.

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I will most likely just end up going with an aftermarket seat. It may be more expensive but I just don't see any vehicle competing with the Wrangler capability and aftermarket parts wise.

WW_Svi

Seats are designed to have a hip point fit for the 5th-95th percentile of people, my guess is you are above that. However, if you like the oem seats, usually brackets are laser welded onto the slides. You could look into modifying those brackets to lower the seat. Just make sure the new brackets are atleast as strong as the oem.

sparks

Get a sawzall and some prosthetics??!

Kidding.. hoping you figure something out to get back into a Jeep! I’m sure someone can rig a seat bracket, too low for the rest of us but would be just right for you.

SDG

Caught the Bug
Yeah, I'm 6'10" and fit pretty well with either soft top or hard top in my '14 JKU. One thing I adjusted to is a more vertical sitting position, because if I tilt the seat too far back it worries me that if I was in an accident I would get smashed in the head by the sound bar.

It would be nice if the seat was a bit lower, but I looked at the mount for the stock seats and there really is not a whole lot that can be done there. Like Eddie said, aftermarket seats may be your best bet.

Oversize

Yeah, I'm 6'10" and fit pretty well with either soft top or hard top in my '14 JKU. One thing I adjusted to is a more vertical sitting position, because if I tilt the seat too far back it worries me that if I was in an accident I would get smashed in the head by the sound bar.

It would be nice if the seat was a bit lower, but I looked at the mount for the stock seats and there really is not a whole lot that can be done there. Like Eddie said, aftermarket seats may be your best bet.
Damn at 6'10 I don't know how you do it. I would not want to be any taller then I am it's already a struggle for clothes and vehicles. I'll have to try out a JK, it must have a little more room. Ok also from San Diego.

Holy crap some of you guys are big!

I´m only 5`8" so I wish I was a bit taller. I´m supposed to be a viking but guess that some small european monk sneaked into my ancestors tree way back in the time!

Hope you can make i work.

mrmet1983

i dont really see how he doesnt fit!! im 6'7" and just picked up a jl sport s and i fit absolutely fine with zero issues!! only thing i can think of is that the seat height adjustment must have been at its highest because i really dont see how someone 1 inch taller then me cant fit in a JL

Top Bottom