VIDEO : JL JOURNAL - First Taste of DIRT

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It was all that Cindy and I could do to not take JET Li, our brand new 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited out on the trail immediately after buying him. And, after spending 3 days of documenting everything we could and taking photos inside and out, it was finally time give him his very first taste of dirt! As luck would have it, that dirt is just down the street from us and in this episode of the JL Journal, you'll get to see us do some basic testing off road such as: shifting into 4WD, testing out the suspension and ride quality of the JL on rough terrain, shifting into 4-Low, disconnect the sway bar and taking some baby steps up some bigger rocks. It isn't much but we even locked up his axles and pushed him just a bit further, resulting in his very first cuts and bruises. We hope you enjoy.

JL JOURNAL is a WAYALIFE Production with a focus on the all new Jeep JL Wrangler. This YouTube video series will highlight every aspect of our Jeep JL Wrangler and of course, all the adventures that it takes us on. We hope that you'll follow us along on our journey.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Great video! I was happy to see that you actually needed to use the lockers before you engaged them. I am liking the JL more and more with each video!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This is becoming a nightly occurrence.

LOL!! It's been a whirlwind for us the past week. We've practically been working on filming, editing, posting day and night since getting our JL. It'll slow down a bit soon. :crazyeyes:

Way to break in Jet Li, looking good, great video!

Thank you, we're glad you liked it :cool:

Awesome to see Jet Li out and about having fun in the wild. Great video. Thank you for documenting his journey. 🖒👋

Glad you liked it and yes, this is where he belongs :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great video! Definitely very capable right off the showroom floor.

Not just capable... WAY MORE CAPABLE than any new Jeep we've ever driven off the showroom floor. Hell, more capable than some mildly built JK's. Best part is, they're super comfortable too. :yup:

Great video! I was happy to see that you actually needed to use the lockers before you engaged them. I am liking the JL more and more with each video!

LOL!! I was definitely trying to see how far I could push him before needing lockers. There really is a ton to love about the new JL :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great video, it’s good to see that you’re concerned with Trail rash.

My wife commented that you are very articulate.

LOL!! I'm flattered that she would say as much.

Regarding trail rash, I know it isn't manly but no, I'd prefer not to jack up my Jeeps. I know it happens and I don't cry about it when it does but if I can help it, I always try my hardest to do no harm. Anyone can crash their Jeep into things - it takes skill not to.

Brute

Hooked
It's amazing how capable a stock Rubicon is...all of them. With the JL having the lowest 1st gear in both auto and manual (4.71 in the 8 speed 850RE, compared to 3.59 in the W5A580) of all the Rubicon models, and with 4.10 gearing & 4:1 NV241OR tcase, it has an incredible crawl ratio above 77:1...which is better than my JK6 with 4:88, 3.59 1st gear and a 4.3 Atlas ending up with a 75 crawl ratio...

Just throw on some 35"s, a mild (if any) lift, and your pretty much going anywhere you want...I think Jeep hit a home run with this.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Too cute! [emoji4]. It always amazes me just how well a stock Rubi handles things. Definitely loving these videos and the JL!

LOL!! "Cute" is definitely the word to be used. :D
It really amazed the hell out of me just how well this stock Rubicon did out there. :yup:

Love the Jeep but very jealous of the natural terrain. Beautiful. Nothing like that here in Florida

Yeah, we love it here. It's nice that the Rubicon is just a hop skip and a jump away too. :yup:

It's amazing how capable a stock Rubicon is...all of them. With the JL having the lowest 1st gear in both auto and manual (4.71 in the 8 speed 850RE, compared to 3.59 in the W5A580) of all the Rubicon models, and with 4.10 gearing & 4:1 NV241OR tcase, it has an incredible crawl ratio above 77:1...which is better than my JK6 with 4:88, 3.59 1st gear and a 4.3 Atlas ending up with a 75 crawl ratio...

Just throw on some 35"s, a mild (if any) lift, and your pretty much going anywhere you want...I think Jeep hit a home run with this.

It is crazy when you do the math and see just how awesome these new JL Rubicons are stock. :crazyeyes:

TrailHunter

Hooked
I’m really enjoying these Stock Jeep videos... I can finally watch you wheel and think to myself, “Hey, I can do that!!!” ... instead of watching Moby and thinking, “Dam it, I need to sell one of my kids.” :crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I’m really enjoying these Stock Jeep videos... I can finally watch you wheel and think to myself, “Hey, I can do that!!!” ... instead of watching Moby and thinking, “Dam it, I need to sell one of my kids.” :crazyeyes:

LOL!! I ain't gonna lie, the challenge of wheeling stock is a lot of fun. Enjoy it while you can. :)

Taz81

Loving the videos, And really love seeing how well it performs. But then again Farrier & I got a slight sneak peak with few of these stock in moab last year in april. Jeep was up there on Hell's Revenge and let us all watch them bring them up Hell's Gate. Handled just like that all stock. I'm very impressed with them. Keep the video's coming i'm enjoying watching this Journey for You & Cindy

jeeeep

Hooked
ahh great!!! I just had to watch!!

Way to feed my addiction ...really, way to feed my addiction! :thumb:

That looks like a fun playground! jealous how easy it is to get to playgrounds like that.

I will escape Texas! lol

Top Bottom