Rock hard sport bar without dash bar?

zimm

Caught the Bug
I installed the cage in prep for my fall Moab trip but I’m not getting used to the dash bar in my view. My seat used to be 2 pumps up from bottom, but now it’s jacked up 8 or more. I miss the awesome view of my 10th anniversary hood too.

It’s fairly easy to remove and I figure I can put it back in place before Moab but I don’t think I need it running around town down here in Miami.

Feasible or bad idea?

GraniteCrystal

I installed the cage in prep for my fall Moab trip but I’m not getting used to the dash bar in my view. My seat used to be 2 pumps up from bottom, but now it’s jacked up 8 or more. I miss the awesome view of my 10th anniversary hood too.

It’s fairly easy to remove and I figure I can put it back in place before Moab but I don’t think I need it running around town down here in Miami.

Feasible or bad idea?

Pretty sure you'll need to remove one of the side pieces to remove the dash bar. I'd pick one way or the other and stick with it. Without it, the cage isn't as strong but it's your call if it bugs you enough to warrant removing it.

Maybe put a pillow on the seat and then a nice Bartac seat cover over top to cover it up?

Benito

Caught the Bug
I have seen some installs of this cage where people have it riding really high and other installs where it’s nearly touching the dash tray, have you tried lowering it? Losen both sides and drive it down with some love taps of a rubber mallet.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked

Feasible or bad idea?

It's structural, without it you may as well remove the whole cage.

You need the dash bar to pull the end caps inward, without it the ends will want to bow outward and may cause your doors to rub/hit the end plates.

Don't use a mallet, it'll screw up your paint/powdercoat.

Loosen everything up and lower it. I lowered mine quite a bit so my daughter could see better when she drives my Jeep, I was able to get it low enough where it doesn't bother her view.

Remember the clamps should have a gap, it'll pull the sides in too much and squeeze the dash if you tighten the clamps until the gap is gone.

Last edited:

Jackal01

Like Benito said some have it lowered. Mine is just barely off the dash. I also didn't like the initial height so I painstakingly lowered it.

20170623_133536%7E2.jpg

Good2Go

Mine’s barely above the dash too. You may not like it at first, but over time you’ll be glad it’s there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I lowered the bar today. 1/2" makes a big difference.

View attachment 293082

WOW that's low. Make sure you aren't pinching the dash on the sides (air vents). Otherwise, if your happy with it, rock it. When I did mine, I wanted the bar JUST high enough to get a rag under the bar when detailing the interior. Mine looks very nearly identical to Jackal's.. after all, he did help me install it. :blush:

aside from that, Low and Go.

I'm 6'2"; and have no interest in seeing the hood. My cage pretty much covers my normal view of the hood unless I sit up tall in the seat but offers no obstruction to my view of the road/ground in front of the jeep that isn't normally "hood" or "fender" from the driver seat anyway :idontknow: It just took a little seat time to get used to it.

Ultimately, glad you are happy. :thumb: Looks great!

Last edited:

Jimmypaget

I lowered the bar today. 1/2" makes a big difference. I can see my hood vents now. I loosened the top a-pillar bolts, the allens, and rubber mallet to drop it down. The touch up spray paint isn't the best, but now I can see much better.

View attachment 293081

View attachment 293082

This is about how low mine is too! Made the wife happy so if she ever drives it she’ll be able to see over it!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
It's not pinching. That's why I loosened up the top 13mm bolts so they could spread open a bit as the bar dropped down. Much better now.

Top Bottom