2007-2011 Jeep Wrangler JK 3.8 Radiator Fan Replacement

JeepFan

Hooked
Recently the engine in our 2009 JK would intermittently run hot when idling at a stop. By hot I mean the temp gauge would slowly creep up to the 3/4 mark while running at a stop. The first time this happened I pulled over to the side of road and opened the hood to see what might be the cause. The first thing I noticed was the electric radiator fan was not running. I immediately turned the engine off to let it cool down. While I waited for the engine to cool down a bit, I checked for coolant leaks and inspected the cooling fan fuse. In addition, I swapped out the cooling fan relay with one of the other relays in the TIPM. Unable to find any obvious problem at that time I decided to start the engine and see if the temp gauge was reading in its normal range. As soon as I started the engine, the fan kicked in and started cooling the engine down. I let it run for several minutes and noticed the cooling fan was cycling on and off as it should. At that point I closed the hood and drove on down the road. So far so good I thought.

After several days of driving the Jeep trouble free, the problem came back! I stopped and opened the hood and discovered the fan was not running. This time I checked the big wire harness plug that connects to the fan resistor and the harness from the resistor to the fan motor to make sure it was on tight. As soon as I pulled on the plug that goes into the fan motor, the fan kicked in and started cooling the engine. Ah-ha! At that point I decided to just drive it home and check the electrical connections more closely after the engine was cold.

I first removed the big connector that goes from the under hood harness to the fan motor resistor. Didn't see any issue. Next, I removed the connector from the fan motor itself and found the plastic mold that holds the wire terminals in place was melted. Here's a pic...

IMG_20180212_094205.jpg

On the motor side, things did't look much better. Here you can see the terminals are pretty black and singed...

IMG_20180212_094241.jpg

Not sure what caused this but after 139,000 miles I figured it was time to replace the fan assembly and resistor/harness.

What you will need:

Replacement Fan Assembly. Omix-Ada part number: 17102.57 Note: The picture of the part online shows it comes with the resistor harness. BEWARE: THE HARNESS IS NOT INCLUDED!
Replacement Wiring/Resistor harness: Mopar part number: 68026780-AA Note: This part does not come with the fan assembly.
7 plastic trim clips. You can find these at most auto parts stores.
1/4" ratchet
8mm socket
5/16" nut driver
Small screwdriver
Panel clip remover
Side cutters
Needle nose pliers

With a little guidance, all of the following work was performed by my awesome wife Stephanie!

Here's a pic of the harness with old and new fan assembly:
IMG_20180212_091420.jpg

IMG_20180212_094136.jpg
Notice the new fan has 9 blades compared with the old 6 blade fan.

The first thing you will want to do is install the new harness to the new fan assembly:

IMG_20180212_091812.jpg

IMG_20180212_091849.jpg

Here's the old fan assembly still mounted to the radiator:

IMG_20180212_091113.jpg

Next, to gain better access to the 8mm bolt holding the fan assembly to the radiator on the passengers side, the air filter housing should be removed. Using a 5/16" nut driver, loosen the air filter housing clamp and pull up on the housing to remove it from its mount.

IMG_20180212_092020.jpg

Next, remove the coolant recovery bottle by lifting it straight up and away from the fan shroud.

IMG_20180212_092131.jpg

Now remove the electrical plug from the fan resistor. Use a small screwdriver to push in the locking clip, then release the connector from the plug.

IMG_20180212_092908.jpg

IMG_20180212_092919.jpg

Next, you need to remove the four plastic christmas tree clips from the top radiator cover and lower shield. There are 4 on the top and 3 on the bottom. Use a panel clip remover or side cutters to break them free. Of course you will need new clips to re-install the cover.

IMG_20180212_093228.jpg

IMG_20180212_093736.jpg

Now you're ready to remove the 2 8mm bolts that secure the fan assembly to the radiator.

IMG_20180212_092352.jpg

IMG_20180212_092530.jpg

With the 2 8mm bolts removed, gently lift up on the fan assembly to free the lower mounting tabs from there purches.

IMG_20180212_093441.jpg

IMG_20180212_094059.jpg

Here's a shot with the radiator fan assembly removed.

IMG_20180212_094423.jpg

Basically do the reverse order of above to install the new radiator fan.

Lowering the new fan into position. Make sure the lower mounts of the fan assembly slip into their purches.

IMG_20180212_094523.jpg

Install the bolts.

IMG_20180212_094720.jpg

Continued on next post.

Last edited:

JeepFan

Hooked
Continued from previous post...

Re-install the coolant recovery bottle.

IMG_20180212_095036.jpg

Plug in the big connector. Push it in firmly until you hear a click. The click ensures the plug is locked in place! Very Important!!

IMG_20180212_094942.jpg

Fasten the upper and lower fan covers with new clips.

IMG_20180212_095246.jpg

IMG_20180212_095837.jpg

Done!

IMG_20180212_100848.jpg

So, if you have a high mileage JK, check the connector that goes into the fan motor ASAP!

After warming the engine up to operating temp, the fan kicks in as designed. I did notice this fan pulls a lot more air than the original.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks for the write-up. We have about 180k on ours. Something I'll be looking out for.

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
Great information. When the weather breaks I plan to check things out good. No problems with mine, but its due for fluid changes and a good look over main connections.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome write-up Tony!! Way cool that Steph helped out too. Thanks for posting this up :thumb:

JAGS

Hooked
Great write up tony. [emoji106]

I think you should help me with mine so you can do a write up for the 2012s+. Lol. For comparison sakes. :)

I do wonder how different a 2012 would be though with the 3.6. My fan works, but does have a little rattle still.

JeepFan

Hooked
Again great write up!

My 3.8's been running a little hot, ordered coolant from the dealer today. Might just throw a fan in too. Mine sounds pretty tired.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Definitely a good idea on the coolant and fan. Just keep in mind the resistor harness does not come with the fan. Before you go ahead and order a new fan, check the plug that connects directly to the fan motor.

JeepFan

Hooked
Nice write-up. Thanks for sharing! I'm about to change my 07's radiator that's showing a small leak (125k miles) so might better also change the fan.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Definitely give the fan a look!

Great write up tony. [emoji106]

I think you should help me with mine so you can do a write up for the 2012s+. Lol. For comparison sakes. :)

I do wonder how different a 2012 would be though with the 3.6. My fan works, but does have a little rattle still.

Thanks! You still haven't replaced your fan? Shame!!

Good writeup thank you. Im buzzin in at 165k so not to far behind WJCO

aka cavfighter

With that many miles you're fan is probably not going to last much longer. It's worth giving it a close inspection!

Great information. When the weather breaks I plan to check things out good. No problems with mine, but its due for fluid changes and a good look over main connections.

Thanks!

Awesome write-up Tony!! Way cool that Steph helped out too. Thanks for posting this up :thumb:

Thanks! Steph was eager to get her hands dirty and did a great job as well!

When did you go an extra hand? [emoji15]

LOL! When you're not around to help, you make due!

K_Lees762

Flushed my coolant, and pulled the fan assembly to inspect it. Was shocked to see just how caked full of mud my radiator fins were!! Used an blow gun and low water pressure to clean it out. IMG_1673.jpg

Top Bottom