Transmission shifter linkage issue

aTX427

Hey guys, I did a few searches, but couldn't find an answer, so bear with me. The plastic pice that holds the transmission cable to the shifter linkage at the transmission failed. I called the dealer, but they said they do not sell the plastic bushing / clip that holds the cable in place and I need to purchase a complete replacement cable. Aside from the cost ($160), I really do not want to go through replacing the cable. Does anyone know of a work around or aftermarket replacement clip? I couldn't find anything aftermarket, but their isn't a part number to cross reference. My alternative was to pull the shifter arm off, cut the nipple, drill a hole and bold the cable in place. It's probably the same amount of labor, but less likely to fail in the future.

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
Hey guys, I did a few searches, but couldn't find an answer, so bear with me. The plastic pice that holds the transmission cable to the shifter linkage at the transmission failed. I called the dealer, but they said they do not sell the plastic bushing / clip that holds the cable in place and I need to purchase a complete replacement cable. Aside from the cost ($160), I really do not want to go through replacing the cable. Does anyone know of a work around or aftermarket replacement clip? I couldn't find anything aftermarket, but their isn't a part number to cross reference. My alternative was to pull the shifter arm off, cut the nipple, drill a hole and bold the cable in place. It's probably the same amount of labor, but less likely to fail in the future.

wtf?? you looking for this?

Mopar 68064273AB

https://www.stevewhiteparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-bushing-68064273ab

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Or spend about $200 and get the Advance Adapters setup. You won’t have to worry about breaking it again. I’ve installed one and they are nice.

aTX427

Or spend about $200 and get the Advance Adapters setup. You won’t have to worry about breaking it again. I’ve installed one and they are nice.

Yeah, thought about that, but for the amount of effort, I can drill the existing bracket to accept a bolt. The original one lasted 155k.

Pretty sure since 03 to 06 TJ also used the 42rle, the actual bushing Is the same. Amazon, quadratec, Napa, etc. All have the part.

Sent from my PH-1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I'm willing to give this a try. Should be a 2 minute job with the correct part.

Are you sure that is the correct part? It shows Transfer case bushing on a parts search and I do not believe they are interchangeable. The dealer said there wasn't a separate part, which sounded suspicious. I purchased a universal use kit from a local parts store with several different pieces, but non of them worked.

Last edited:

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
Yeah, thought about that, but for the amount of effort, I can drill the existing bracket to accept a bolt. The original one lasted 155k.

I'm willing to give this a try. Should be a 2 minute job with the correct part.

Are you sure that is the correct part? It shows Transfer case bushing on a parts search and I do not believe they are interchangeable. The dealer said there wasn't a separate part, which sounded suspicious. I purchased a universal use kit from a local parts store with several different pieces, but non of them worked.
If it isn't the correct part, honestly any bushing the right size can be dropped in and do the same job. Just a matter of the right dimensions.

Sent from my PH-1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked

that's the bushing for the interior linkage end, under the Jeep the bushing I think is 68137495AA , Crown part# CRO68137495AA

according to Crown:

42RLE Transmission, Mounts to the transmission shifter bracket

or checkout these- they're a bit expensive but not as much as a new cable.

https://www.bushingfix.com/jeep-wrangler-unlimited-shift-cable-bushing-options/

I've seen new cable replacement around $85

aTX427

or checkout these- they're a bit expensive but not as much as a new cable.

https://www.bushingfix.com/jeep-wrangler-unlimited-shift-cable-bushing-options/

I've seen new cable replacement around $85

jeeeep, thanks for your help. This seems to be the correct part. $25 plus shipping. I left a message to verify fitment and will follow up to confirm in case anyone else has the same problem.

https://www.bushingfix.com/jeep-wrangler-unlimited-shift-cable-bushing-repair-kit/

Ddays

Hooked
that's the part I posted the 1st time - I think he's looking for the bushing that goes the transmission shit end, not the in-cab transfer case linkage.

sometimes it fits at both ends of the cable, sometimes it doesn't.

OP - post a pic of the cable

Yeah, evidently I can't differentiate between "transmission" and "transfer case" :rolleyes2:

aTX427

OK, so I think we have a solution for anyone else that has this problem. Thank you to jeeeep who found the correct part. Bushing Fix TB1KIT is the correct part for the shifter linkage bushing at the transmission. The company also has an amazon presence in case you are prime and can benefit from free 2nd day shipping. Just as a side note, they typically have a number designation after the TB1KIT, e.g., TB1KIT37 per their website, but I confirmed that the last number has no bearing on the part. It is only used to tell them what vehicle it is being used on. The numbers after the TB1KIT is irrelevant, so in my case, I am buying a TB1KIT9 off amazon prime and this should work. In addition, the part should be oriented with the cuts in the bushing facing the mounting stud. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013188HW0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1VQF6X5Z7BLRW&psc=1

Last edited:

JKbrick

OK, so I think we have a solution for anyone else that has this problem. Thank you to jeeeep who found the correct part. Bushing Fix TB1KIT is the correct part for the shifter linkage bushing at the transfer case. The company also has an amazon presence in case you are prime and can benefit from free 2nd day shipping. Just as a side note, they typically have a number designation after the TB1KIT, e.g., TB1KIT37 per their website, but I confirmed that the last number has no bearing on the part. It is only used to tell them what vehicle it is being used on. The numbers after the TB1KIT is irrelevant, so in my case, I am buying a TB1KIT9 off amazon prime and this should work. In addition, the part should be oriented with the cuts in the bushing facing the mounting stud. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013188HW0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1VQF6X5Z7BLRW&psc=1

I put the same bushing on the transfer case lever on the inside of the cab and it fit perfectly
IMG_1793.JPG
Image1518655758.816172.jpg

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom