ABS & Traction Loights

RonG

ABS & Traction Lights

IMG_0955.jpg

A couple of days ago, the ABS and traction lights started coming on right after I would start driving. They usually go back off within a minute or two and then stay off until the next time I started the Jeep and began driving.

I haven’t changed anything on the suspension and the steering seems centered.

Where do I start looking?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

jkrichard

My first suspect would be a wheel speed sensor, second the clock spring.

Have a look at the wires going to the sensors on the unit bearing to see any obvious damage, otherwise because it might be totally electronic you'll need a scanner that can read abs codes.

You could dick with it using a different wire and checking at all the wheels but I would just look for someone with a scanner that does the abs. It will cut right to the chase.

Sent from my SM-G955W using WAYALIFE mobile app

mackey

Is your steering wheel straight? If not, it’s most likely that. Could also be a bad wheel speed sensor or a clock spring issue. You should have an extended warranty on your clock spring. You could try having the dealership run a scan and see what the scan is showing. If it is a wheel speed sensor, you can replace it yourself. The dealership will charge you an arm and a leg.

gcb310

I’m going to piggy back on this. I’m having the same problem. The code says right rear sensor. I’ve tried 3 different sensors with same result. All will be good then all of a sudden lights come on, stay on for a minute or two then shut off. Sometimes it happens when driving on the highway and sometimes it happens when I’m turning. I’ve cleaned the contact points on the connector and sensor, I’ve followed the wire as far as I could and did not see any damage. I just ordered a new connector even though the one on there was replaced two weeks ago. Should there be any play between the connection and sensor or should it be a tight fit? I’ve got to the point where I’ve super glued the sensor to the connector because I did notice some play. That worked for a day bc the light came on this morning. This has been an on going issue for weeks now. My steering wheel appears to be straight and was told the wheel bearing is good. I’m losing my mind over this.

Geoff

Sent from my iPhone

Jsouder53

Hooked
I’m going to piggy back on this. I’m having the same problem. The code says right rear sensor. I’ve tried 3 different sensors with same result. All will be good then all of a sudden lights come on, stay on for a minute or two then shut off. Sometimes it happens when driving on the highway and sometimes it happens when I’m turning. I’ve cleaned the contact points on the connector and sensor, I’ve followed the wire as far as I could and did not see any damage. I just ordered a new connector even though the one on there was replaced two weeks ago. Should there be any play between the connection and sensor or should it be a tight fit? I’ve got to the point where I’ve super glued the sensor to the connector because I did notice some play. That worked for a day bc the light came on this morning. This has been an on going issue for weeks now. My steering wheel appears to be straight and was told the wheel bearing is good. I’m losing my mind over this.

Geoff

Sent from my iPhone

I just had the same problem with those lights, got a new sensor and is all good. Since it keeps showing up, I would look into an obd2 scanner to clear your codes. I just got the blue driver and it works really well

gcb310

The codes were cleared. The light randomly comes on, stays on for a bit then goes away.

Geoff

Sent from my iPhone

Casey_250

Wheel bearings possibly - I had the lights and ABS randomly kicking in. When I checked my wheel bearings there was so much play in them that I guess they were tripping the sensors occasionally.

gcb310

Possibly bearings but I would swap the wire and plug out. If the contacts aren’t holding to the sensor, it would give that on and off lights issue that you have.

Where does the wire run up to? I noticed the wire runs in between the frame and the fuel tank, I don’t know where you would disconnect the other end of the wire.

Geoff

Sent from my iPhone

gcb310

Are rear bearings something that can be done at home or would it have to be done at a shop? Do they sell rear wheel assemblies like they do the front?

Geoff

Sent from my iPhone

wjtstudios

Hooked
Where does the wire run up to? I noticed the wire runs in between the frame and the fuel tank, I don’t know where you would disconnect the other end of the wire.

Geoff

Sent from my iPhone

You don’t disconnect it, you splice it back in. The kit you can buy from the dealer is about $36, and comes with the plug, wires, splice clip, and shrink wrap. I opened up the existing wire wrap around 18” up and spliced it back in.

wjtstudios

Hooked
ABS & Traction Loights

Are rear bearings something that can be done at home or would it have to be done at a shop? Do they sell rear wheel assemblies like they do the front?

Geoff

Sent from my iPhone

The bearings are on the front only, not the rear. The rear bearings are pressed onto the axle shaft. Yes you can do it your self, here’s a link to that thread.

Jeep JK Wrangler Unit Bearing Replacement Write-Up
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=19332

gcb310

I still haven’t figured this out. Everything was fine until today. I can feel the ABS engaging when stopping at low speeds. The light came on a few times today while turning, while driving on highway, and accelerating from a dead stop. That was a new one. It still won’t stay on for very long. If it was a loose or bad connection I couldn’t imagine how every thing would be good for almost a week then all of a sudden start to crap out again. I wonder if a sticking caliper issue could cause this. I checked the wheel area after driving and none felt hotter than the others and I didn’t smell any kind of burning smell. I’m still scratching my head over this.

Geoff

Sent from my iPhone

wjtstudios

Hooked
I still haven’t figured this out. Everything was fine until today. I can feel the ABS engaging when stopping at low speeds. The light came on a few times today while turning, while driving on highway, and accelerating from a dead stop. That was a new one. It still won’t stay on for very long. If it was a loose or bad connection I couldn’t imagine how every thing would be good for almost a week then all of a sudden start to crap out again. I wonder if a sticking caliper issue could cause this. I checked the wheel area after driving and none felt hotter than the others and I didn’t smell any kind of burning smell. I’m still scratching my head over this.

Geoff

Sent from my iPhone

Was there a weather change in that period of time? If rain or water got into those connections, it could set off the lights. Have you run a code reader on it to see what ESP/ABS codes were popping up? Is it giving you a wheel location where the problem?

gcb310

Was there a weather change in that period of time? If rain or water got into those connections, it could set off the lights. Have you run a code reader on it to see what ESP/ABS codes were popping up? Is it giving you a wheel location where the problem?

Did have quiet a bit of rain last night and I haven’t had a chance to get the code read but ever since this started way back when it was happening too randomly good weather or bad.

Geoff

Sent from my iPhone

gcb310

I just sprayed the area with brake clean and noticed a grinding gristly sound when turning the wheel. That can’t be good right?

Geoff

Sent from my iPhone

gcb310

So I replaced right rear axle shaft thinking the bad bearing I had was causing the problem. Same results. The ABS is acting even sketchier. ABS engages when coming to a slow stop, going over bumps, driving on the highway, making a turn. The ABS light came on after I put the Jeep in park. That was a new one. This is driving me nuts. Sticking caliper? ABS module going out? Bad fuse? Any ideas/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Geoff

Sent from my iPhone

Top Bottom