Page 1 of 55 1231151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 547

Thread: Recent Shooting and Discussion

  1. #1
    Old Timer Brute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    HI & WA
    Posts
    4,784

    Recent Shooting and Discussion

    I know what I am about to say is going to be unpopular here...but serious discussion needs to be started about how to make it more difficult to acquire certain types of firearms...

    A 19 yo cannot buy a beer, but can purchase an AR platform weapon...

    It takes far more paperwork, time and scrutiny to get a loan, buy a car or home...but about 20 minutes to get an AR-15...

    I grew up in a hunting and fishing culture...my dad was a police officer, and previously was in the Army. I grew up around hunting rifles and shotguns...50 years ago, no one hunted deer with semi-auto's...pop's had a .270 Weatherby Magnum and a .243 Mannlicher-Schonauer...I owned a Springfield .30-06 (same one carried into battle in WWI...and shot damn straight!)...and we both had a brace of different types of shotguns.

    I am definitely against banning private ownership of weapons...but perhaps we may need to revisit the process in which we acquire them...times are certainly far different than when I was young...

    They say if you keep doing the exact same thing over and over again, but expect a different result...this would be the definition of insanity. For the sake of our children, and our children's children, we need to start the discussion to make it more difficult for these events to keep happening...because what we are doing right now is clearly not working...

    My two cents...


    This thread was originally here: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/...s-killed-today!!
    Last edited by WJCO; 02-19-2018 at 10:59 PM.

  2. #2
    Nothing but a Thing Clutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    STL metro
    Posts
    2,128
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute View Post
    I know what I am about to say is going to be unpopular here...but serious discussion needs to be started about how to make it more difficult to acquire certain types of firearms...

    A 19 yo cannot buy a beer, but can purchase an AR platform weapon...

    It takes far more paperwork, time and scrutiny to get a loan, buy a car or home...but about 20 minutes to get an AR-15...

    I grew up in a hunting and fishing culture...my dad was a police officer, and previously was in the Army. I grew up around hunting rifles and shotguns...50 years ago, no one hunted deer with semi-auto's...pop's had a .270 Weatherby Magnum and a .243 Mannlicher-Schonauer...I owned a Springfield .30-06 (same one carried into battle in WWI...and shot damn straight!)...and we both had a brace of different types of shotguns.

    I am definitely against banning private ownership of weapons...but perhaps we may need to revisit the process in which we acquire them...times are certainly far different than when I was young...

    They say if you keep doing the exact same thing over and over again, but expect a different result...this would be the definition of insanity. For the sake of our children, and our children's children, we need to start the discussion to make it more difficult for these events to keep happening...because what we are doing right now is clearly not working...

    My two cents...
    Agreed.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  3. #3
    Meme King WJCO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    24,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute View Post
    I know what I am about to say is going to be unpopular here...but serious discussion needs to be started about how to make it more difficult to acquire certain types of firearms...

    A 19 yo cannot buy a beer, but can purchase an AR platform weapon...

    It takes far more paperwork, time and scrutiny to get a loan, buy a car or home...but about 20 minutes to get an AR-15...

    I grew up in a hunting and fishing culture...my dad was a police officer, and previously was in the Army. I grew up around hunting rifles and shotguns...50 years ago, no one hunted deer with semi-auto's...pop's had a .270 Weatherby Magnum and a .243 Mannlicher-Schonauer...I owned a Springfield .30-06 (same one carried into battle in WWI...and shot damn straight!)...and we both had a brace of different types of shotguns.

    I am definitely against banning private ownership of weapons...but perhaps we may need to revisit the process in which we acquire them...times are certainly far different than when I was young...

    They say if you keep doing the exact same thing over and over again, but expect a different result...this would be the definition of insanity. For the sake of our children, and our children's children, we need to start the discussion to make it more difficult for these events to keep happening...because what we are doing right now is clearly not working...

    My two cents...
    Ed, I see what you're saying and have a lot of respect for you. But at the same time, think about the number of young 19 year olds that are responsible gun owners. Should they be punished as well? I am deeply saddened about what happened, but I think we all know what happens when it gun rights are infringed upon everybody as a whole. The gun isn't the problem, the individual was the problem. And obviously that opens up a whole nother conversation of who gets to decide what is 'mentally ill' or 'depressed' or 'likely to kill.' I don't think making guns more 'difficult' to get would stop this tragedy. Look at crime in Mexico where guns and ammo are illegal. Evil people will stop at nothing to do evil things.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES



    Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

  4. #4
    Old Timer Jackal01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    2,855
    Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Ed, I see what you're saying and have a lot of respect for you. But at the same time, think about the number of young 19 year olds that are responsible gun owners. Should they be punished as well? I am deeply saddened about what happened, but I think we all know what happens when it gun rights are infringed upon everybody as a whole. The gun isn't the problem, the individual was the problem. And obviously that opens up a whole nother conversation of who gets to decide what is 'mentally ill' or 'depressed' or 'likely to kill.' I don't think making guns more 'difficult' to get would stop this tragedy. Look at crime in Mexico where guns and ammo are illegal. Evil people will stop at nothing to do evil things.
    Agreed on all points.

  5. #5
    Knows a Thing or Two FallonJeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Fallon, NV
    Posts
    506
    I agree. There are thousands more 19 year old gun owners who are responsible, than those few crazies, shooting people.

    I'm resisting the urge to site drunk driving statics and make some ridiculous comment about how we should make it more difficult to buy alcohol or cars.

  6. #6
    Old Timer TrailHunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,747

    Prayers for the 17 kids killed today!

    I have to respectfully disagree with you as well Brute. If it wasn’t an AR it would be something else.... doesn’t matter. Guns have been readily available for 100 + years.... But in the last few decades, attitudes toward discipling kids has taken a wrong turn. This country has been brewing a dangerous cocktail of political correctness, prescription medication, & violent entertainment..... Combine that with a lack of Core Values and participation awards and you get what we have here today. The first line of defense is in the Home.
    Last edited by TrailHunter; 02-15-2018 at 08:44 PM.

  7. #7
    Caught the Bug Markel1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    West Texas
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailHunter View Post
    I have to respectfully disagree with you as well Brute. If it wasn’t an AR it would be something else.... doesn’t matter. Guns have been readily available for 100 + years.... But in the last few decades, attitudes toward discipling kids has takin a wrong turn. This country has been brewing a dangerous cocktail of political correctness, prescription medication, & violent entertainment..... Combine that with a lack of Core Values and participation awards and you get what we have here today. The first line of defense is in the Home.
    Excellent point of view Trailhunter, my thoughts as well. My kids were taught at an early age fire arm safety, and were not raised to think within the PC culture.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  8. #8
    Old Timer Brute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    HI & WA
    Posts
    4,784
    Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Ed, I see what you're saying and have a lot of respect for you. But at the same time, think about the number of young 19 year olds that are responsible gun owners. Should they be punished as well? I am deeply saddened about what happened, but I think we all know what happens when it gun rights are infringed upon everybody as a whole. The gun isn't the problem, the individual was the problem. And obviously that opens up a whole nother conversation of who gets to decide what is 'mentally ill' or 'depressed' or 'likely to kill.' I don't think making guns more 'difficult' to get would stop this tragedy. Look at crime in Mexico where guns and ammo are illegal. Evil people will stop at nothing to do evil things.
    While I agree in principle in what you're saying, my point is that we need to do SOMETHING ELSE. What continues to happen is that there is the far left that wants to take ALL guns away...and point to events like these. The far right wants to keep the status quo...and point to the instances when an individual prevented a home intrusion or robbery because they had a firearm. At some point, both sides need to have meaningful conversation to find common ground to help LIMIT these catastrophic events from becoming common place. We are not going to prevent all of these things from occurring...that will simply not happen...we can not prevent mental illness., or the cruel intentions of bad people. But if we can have an impact on limiting the frequency of these events from happening, we should do so.

    I do not want to punish the responsible 19 yo...I do not want to punish anyone. Unfortunately, our world is what it is...and a far different one than the one I grew up in. I remember a time when I could bring a soft cooler of food and bloody mary mix onto a plane...didn't have to take off my shoes, jacket or belt...but those days are no long gone...we have to adjust certain freedoms and liberties for the safety and good of all, and have learned to live with them.

    I certainly don't have the answers...but I am willing to listen to cogent dialogue from all sides to come to a reasonable course of action that may help save the lives of children...or otherwise they may someday be our children.

  9. #9
    Meme King WJCO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    24,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute View Post
    While I agree in principle in what you're saying, my point is that we need to do SOMETHING ELSE. What continues to happen is that there is the far left that wants to take ALL guns away...and point to events like these. The far right wants to keep the status quo...and point to the instances when an individual prevented a home intrusion or robbery because they had a firearm. At some point, both sides need to have meaningful conversation to find common ground to help LIMIT these catastrophic events from becoming common place. We are not going to prevent all of these things from occurring...that will simply not happen...we can not prevent mental illness., or the cruel intentions of bad people. But if we can have an impact on limiting the frequency of these events from happening, we should do so.

    I do not want to punish the responsible 19 yo...I do not want to punish anyone. Unfortunately, our world is what it is...and a far different one than the one I grew up in. I remember a time when I could bring a soft cooler of food and bloody mary mix onto a plane...didn't have to take off my shoes, jacket or belt...but those days are no long gone...we have to adjust certain freedoms and liberties for the safety and good of all, and have learned to live with them.

    I certainly don't have the answers...but I am willing to listen to cogent dialogue from all sides to come to a reasonable course of action that may help save the lives of children...or otherwise they may someday be our children.
    I get where you're coming from, and tragedies like these make our emotional nature want to legislate it so that it doesn't happen again. But morality can't be legislated nor does it really do any good IMO. When morality is good, the laws will naturally follow because people are moral. Ben Franklin was supposedly the one who said this: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Damn good statement IMO. But yes, I agree, times have changed and the younger generation is much less caring about others IMO. As much as I would love to see a compromise between the two parties, I know it will not better our security. Truthfully we shouldn't even have two parties, we should have ONE party: AMERICA.

    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES



    Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

  10. #10
    Fresh Catch JKU007FL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute View Post
    While I agree in principle in what you're saying, my point is that we need to do SOMETHING ELSE. What continues to happen is that there is the far left that wants to take ALL guns away...and point to events like these. The far right wants to keep the status quo...and point to the instances when an individual prevented a home intrusion or robbery because they had a firearm. At some point, both sides need to have meaningful conversation to find common ground to help LIMIT these catastrophic events from becoming common place. We are not going to prevent all of these things from occurring...that will simply not happen...we can not prevent mental illness., or the cruel intentions of bad people. But if we can have an impact on limiting the frequency of these events from happening, we should do so.

    I do not want to punish the responsible 19 yo...I do not want to punish anyone. Unfortunately, our world is what it is...and a far different one than the one I grew up in. I remember a time when I could bring a soft cooler of food and bloody mary mix onto a plane...didn't have to take off my shoes, jacket or belt...but those days are no long gone...we have to adjust certain freedoms and liberties for the safety and good of all, and have learned to live with them.

    I certainly don't have the answers...but I am willing to listen to cogent dialogue from all sides to come to a reasonable course of action that may help save the lives of children...or otherwise they may someday be our children.
    Totally agreed with you. If nothing is done and if the far left in the future gets to control congress we can say goodbye to our guns. Welcome to Mexico.

Page 1 of 55 1231151 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Recent Colorado trip
    By blackhills in forum Destinations & Beyond
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-18-2017, 09:56 PM
  2. New wave after the recent move
    By JES in forum Give us a Wave
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-12-2015, 03:41 AM
  3. Shooting and Jeeping
    By crowrb29 in forum Destinations & Beyond
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-02-2013, 11:55 PM
  4. Need some trouble shooting help!
    By Resqduck7 in forum Wheels & Tires
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-26-2013, 10:29 PM
  5. Conniticut Elementary Shooting!!
    By BlackKnight in forum The 8th Slot
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-21-2012, 09:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
“wayoflife” is a moniker that I’ve been using for 20 years now and I chose it because I think it does a great job of explaining, in simple terms, the passion I have for Jeeps and the Jeep way of life. This is a lifestyle that transcends age, gender and race as the only thing you need to be a part of it is a love for the outdoors, a desire to explore, a yearning to take on a challenge and a will to conquer it. Over the years, Cindy and I have attempted to capture the essence of this lifestyle through photographs and videos and share it with others around the world. And, this is how WAYALIFE was born.
Join us
WATCH OUR VIDEOS