VIDEO : JL JOURNAL - A Quick Peek Underneath the JL Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For those of you who are new to working on Jeeps, ones with coils and a 4-link suspension system or are just plain curious, this episode of the JL Journal will give you a quick peek underneath JET Li, our brand new 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited and with a 3.6L V6 Pentastar motor. Some of the things you'll get to see include the various components that make up the steering system, suspension system, drive train and skid plates and you'll even get to hear how some of them compare to what can be found on a JK. We hope you'll find the information in this short video to be helpful and as always, please let us know if you have any questions.

JL JOURNAL is a WAYALIFE Production with a focus on the all new Jeep JL Wrangler. This YouTube video series will highlight every aspect of our Jeep JL Wrangler and of course, all the adventures that it takes us on. We hope that you'll follow us along on our journey.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Very Informative..... in regards to the axles & links, does anything stand out to you, that may need to be addressed running 37's with hard wheeling...or do you think the stock parts will hold up just fine?

RockingK

👍👍👍

We are so lucky to have you and Cindy doing this. I have purchased many new vehicles, several before the internet and would see one and crawl on the ground checking it out, then searching the web for photo’s video, forums etc. I am considering this vehicle and now have so much valuable information, it’s crazy how much value you guys are providing, FCA should be paying you for this$$$$. Thank you again, now to restock on popcorn 🍿.

jeeeep

Hooked
I do like the shallow oil pan but those transmission lines :thinking:

The DS redesign looks like they may actually last much longer - but wonder how the repezza joint will hold up under the stress of 37's.

Thanks for the stills and the video...should I feel like I need to got out for a smoke...even though I don't smoke?? :shock:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Very Informative..... in regards to the axles & links, does anything stand out to you, that may need to be addressed running 37's with hard wheeling...or do you think the stock parts will hold up just fine?

Everything looks a lot stronger but only time will tell.

I remember when my JK was that clean underneath..haha. Thanks for the introduction!

LOL!! It wasn't Tony clean but it wasn't too bad :crazyeyes:

Question? What's the benefit of moving the steering stabilizer to the axle and drag link?

Honestly, it's how it should have been setup all along. Mounted on the axle and tying into the knuckle is a much stronger setup and really, how a good ram assist is done as well. The only bummer thing is that it still sits below the axle and it will be a rock target.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
We are so lucky to have you and Cindy doing this. I have purchased many new vehicles, several before the internet and would see one and crawl on the ground checking it out, then searching the web for photo’s video, forums etc. I am considering this vehicle and now have so much valuable information, it’s crazy how much value you guys are providing, FCA should be paying you for this$$$$. Thank you again, now to restock on popcorn 🍿.

Cindy and I really appreciate your kind words. We really are so glad that we can help people like you out in this way. :blush:

I do like the shallow oil pan but those transmission lines :thinking:

The DS redesign looks like they may actually last much longer - but wonder how the repezza joint will hold up under the stress of 37's.

Thanks for the stills and the video...should I feel like I need to got out for a smoke...even though I don't smoke?? :shock:

Technically, the cooler lines should be fine but I have personally seen where a renegade tree branch got up into them and tore them out.

Regarding the drive shafts, they should hold up fine to 37's. The front shaft at the output shaft CV is where you'll most likely see a failure when running a lift. As we've seen with the JK's, the steeper angle causes the CV boot to be in a constant state of pinch and that's what ultimately fails.

Just an amazing job shooting this. I was really impressed by how well you lit everything. Great job! Do you think repositioning the steering stabilizer will set it up as a rock crusher? Might just be the angle of the camera but it looks like the lowest hanging part. Is it as far below the tie rod as it looked? Again, thanks for all the hard work putting this together.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just an amazing job shooting this. I was really impressed by how well you lit everything. Great job! Do you think repositioning the steering stabilizer will set it up as a rock crusher? Might just be the angle of the camera but it looks like the lowest hanging part. Is it as far below the tie rod as it looked? Again, thanks for all the hard work putting this together.

The steering stabilizer does hang down lower than the tie-rod and even sits below the axle tube. It WILL be a rock target and can only assume someone like Rancho will come up with a relocation kit to raise it up and out of the way.

Wow, looks way more beefy!

Surprisingly, everything really is :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The only thing I noticed is that on minute 3:15 you shaved your head :thumb::yup:

You're actually looking at my ugly mug?? :shock: :cheesy:
Yes, we did shoot this over a couple of days and yes, I did need a shave :crazyeyes:

JKU007FL

Excellent video, improvements across the board, nice to see.
It seems the JL Rubicon can handle 35's with no modifications according to the Dynatracs guys and Fred from Dirt Everyday Day.

Top Bottom