Re-selling tire advice (beadlocks to non-beadlocks)

boardsurfer

I am breaking down my tires and wheels today, prepping to sell my Coopers to our resident Meme King for the Pink Mobile.

The beadlock ring on my Machetes has really done a number on the lip of the tire that would be sitting inside the lip of a non-beadlock wheel.

My question is, will it still hold air in a regular wheel?

IMG_20180218_081926.jpg

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
I doubt it. Looks like the inner side of the tire creates the seal on the BL whereas on a STD wheel it seals on the outer side which is now imprinted with that pattern.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

A.J.

It might be ok. Only one way to find out! Make sure the bead area on the wheel is nice and clean. The tire actually seals around the inside portion of the bead. That's why the sometimes still hold air with mud and stick etc. in the outer portion of the bead. Might try some bead sealer on the waffled area or un-mixed Murphy's oil soap( aka murf ). Most tire stores that do commercial and giant tire should have it.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Anxious to hear of anyone who has seen this before and what happened afterwards. And I really appreciate boardsurfer bringing it to my attention prior to the sell regardless.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Anxious to hear of anyone who has seen this before and what happened afterwards. And I really appreciate boardsurfer bringing it to my attention prior to the sell regardless.

edit my last comment.... I think it needs to seal where the bumps are.

Last edited:

A.J.

Have seen it before but tires were shot when we took them off so never tried to remount. Have seen it a lot on farm tires and log skidder tires. Guys used run bead welds to try to minimize slipping and lots of agg wheels are ribbed around the bead area also for the same reason. Only way to find out is mount one up and see.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

TrailHunter

Hooked
I could be way off base here.... but I think the tire seals in the Red circle where the "bead" is... so those small bumps still within the circle May be an issue since the surface area has been lessened... The area in the Green square might just build up more dirt when aired down...? That's a tough one.
IMG_20180218_081926.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
I'm kind of beside myself being that I've worked in a lot of tire shops and have never seen this issue come up. I got to thinking....If this impression area was the sealing factor, it should have leaked a long time ago. There are too many edges of varying surface area in different directions. The actual sealing of the bead is perpendicular to the impression. Looking around the web, I've found some images and inserted a blue arrow showing where the air is sealed off at. Hope I'm right.

IMG_20180218_135332_269.jpg

IMG_20180218_135430_886.jpg

IMG_20180218_135253_484.jpg

TrailHunter

Hooked
..........The actual sealing of the bead is perpendicular to the impression. Looking around the web, I've found some images and inserted a blue arrow showing where the air is sealed off at. Hope I'm right.

I think you're right... this angle is better... that's a lot of area in the red square to create the seal....

IMG_20180218_135104.jpg

Last edited:

boardsurfer

I appreciate all the input everyone. Now I just need to make sure I have the camera ready for when WJCO drives up in the pink mobile because they wont fit in the WJ. :cheesy:

longarmwj

GREAT show of character and integrity to bring it to your attention before the purchase!!

But I agree that they should seal. If not, just an excuse for beadlocks [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I appreciate all the input everyone. Now I just need to make sure I have the camera ready for when WJCO drives up in the pink mobile because they wont fit in the WJ. :cheesy:

These are for the WJ. I will not drive the other Jeep Solo. I'll make them fit lol. Do you still want me to bring the plasma cutter so you can have some fun with your old axle?

We will be getting 35s for the JK but will likely do Duratracs. I still have to do the gears when it warms up.

Top Bottom