Steering tight, wheel movement

RockingK

I am the second owner of this 2009 jk 2dr. The previous owner was a big guy with a high Jeep and cheap Smitybuild handles in the middle of the door jam. Over time with weight and age, the steering wheel became a grab bar, and I believe has created a loose/tilt/wobble due to the wheel being slighly bent.

I spoke with a local dealer about this and asked if a bearing or steering column rebuild kit was available, much to my surprise, he said I need to replace the whole column assembly, really? I have rebuilt a few columns over the years, granted mostly 50,60,70’s vintage vehicles. Does anyone have any experience with this or something related to removing and repairing/replacing the column.

Please note, I am a picky mofo and it’s a very minor thing, but replacing my axles, suspension and steer components, I want it to be tight and right. I am in the middle of collecting a PSC assist system with, pump, box, reservoir and ram assist. I do believe my issues is in the column, everything else is working well.

Thanks for any insight would be appreciated,

Ken

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
So it feels tight turning? Your profile looks like your running 37s and no ram assist yet. If that's the case I would think what you are feeling is normal. That is a lot of tire on a weak power steering system.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Your dealer was likely telling you the truth. Sadly, most columns these days are serviced as an assembly and parts to rebuild them are likely not available.

RockingK

So it feels tight turning? Your profile looks like your running 37s and no ram assist yet. If that's the case I would think what you are feeling is normal. That is a lot of tire on a weak power steering system.

It is way over stock capacity, I agree and am in the process of dealing with the weakness. I have run it both on the highway and moderate trail and it performed well and tight all things considered. It’s more slop/tilt in the wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Your dealer was likely telling you the truth. Sadly, most columns these days are serviced as an assembly and parts to rebuild them are likely not available.

Well that’s a bummer, I’ll see what’s available used, but hate to go through the excersize and end up with the same or other/worse results. I’ll price out a new column and see where that takes me!

Thank you guys for the feedback.

RockingK

does it wobble as in the steering wheel wobbles if you were to hold opposite sides and the steering wheel wobbles?

or when you turn the steering wheel do you feel some play?

must have been some weight on it to cause the column to bend

to help in your search:

https://www.stevewhiteparts.com/aut...ne/steering-cat/steering-column-assembly-scat

Yes it’s when I have hands at opposite sides 9/3-16/12 for example I can move it side to side very little and in and out (push one side, pull the opposite)

Not steering slop in motion or stopped.

Thanks for need to clarify.

Top Bottom