Want to run a 38 inch tire with a 3 inch lift - options?

scott johnson

I purchased Teraflexs 3 inch ST3 lift and 3.2 falcon shocks and was running 35's. The mud trails I have been running lately, people with 35's are getting hung up on their axles, where as the 38 inch jeeps are getting through. I dont want to throw my lift and shocks away as they cost a few thousand. I have aries fender flairs so I was thinking maybe I could put on a two inch body lift and then run the 38's with no issues. Does this seem like the best approach given my circumstance or will I regret doing that big of a body lift.

Parks34

The body lift will be fine, the biggest concern is power, gears. And you may have to trim the pinch seam at the rear

zimm

Caught the Bug
I missed the part about body lift. But with more than 37’s you need new axles and stuff starts getting expensive.

FallonJeeper

^^^This^^^
A lot depends on your current axles. You'll want to regear and there are limits to that as well.
Choose wisely. Any reason you want to go to a 38" rather than a 37"?

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

scott johnson

^^^This^^^
A lot depends on your current axles. You'll want to regear and there are limits to that as well.
Choose wisely. Any reason you want to go to a 38" rather than a 37"?

I live in Florida and the jeep trails we use are very muddy with deep water. This past weekend, the 35 inch tires and 3 inch lifts were getting hung up on the axles and the 38 inch guys had no problems. At least none of the 35 inch tire jeeps with lifts had any damage, however the stock jeeps were totally flooded and engines were damaged. So I would rather ride higher in the water and mud to protect my jeep, luckily I had put a snorkel on as our hoods went under the water for a few seconds on a number of trails and I know this is what did in the stock jeeps. I was thinking maybe the stock axles would hold up since there is not much rock crawling. I have friends with 37's on stock axles doing the same trails and they have lasted for years.

FallonJeeper

I live in Florida and the jeep trails we use are very muddy with deep water. This past weekend, the 35 inch tires and 3 inch lifts were getting hung up on the axles and the 38 inch guys had no problems. At least none of the 35 inch tire jeeps with lifts had any damage, however the stock jeeps were totally flooded and engines were damaged. So I would rather ride higher in the water and mud to protect my jeep, luckily I had put a snorkel on as our hoods went under the water for a few seconds on a number of trails and I know this is what did in the stock jeeps. I was thinking maybe the stock axles would hold up since there is not much rock crawling. I have friends with 37's on stock axles doing the same trails and they have lasted for years.
I'm talking about the difference between 37" and 38". Ground clearance difference on a true 37" vs true 38" would be only 1/2 inch. A 37" my do the trick.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Steel wheels weigh a bunch more. More weight on the ground= more rolling resistance = more strain on the drivetrain, etc, etc

My build thread:
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/50012-2013-dozer-jkur-build-thread

Well your wheels don’t actually touch the ground so your rolling resistance would come from your tires. And again what does steel wheels have to do with this conversation besides you trying to act like you know what your talking about?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom