Beadlock Wheels are they necessary

cangro408

Hi guys i’m pretty new to offroading in general, I have a stock Jeep Wrangler JKU Willy’s Wheeler edition and had a quick question. So I plan on going up to 35s and am also looking at new wheels i may offroad 1 or 2 times on easier trails throughout the year possibly do some driving on the beach at Jeep invasion in Wildwood, NJ but nothing crazy. So my question is for my type of off-road use do you guys think that beadlocks are really necessary for me or just really for show ?? let me know what you guys think I would rather not spend money on something i’ll rarely ever get use of my main concern is airing down on the beach sand? I’m a newb so thanks for the help guys

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Parks34

Not necessary at all. You can air down without them, but it sounds to me like you won't be using that much anyway

cangro408

ok so i guess a better question would be how low should i be going down to for sand offroading and how low can my 32” tires go to and how low can future 35” tires go to

WJCO

Meme King
One time i had 33s on factory rims down to 11psi by accident and spent about a half day on the rocks with no issues. I didn't realize it was that low until I aired up. I try to stay around 15psi.

cangro408

One time i had 33s on factory rims down to 11psi by accident and spent about a half day on the rocks with no issues. I didn't realize it was that low until I aired up. I try to stay around 15psi.

ok cool so i probably don’t have anything to worry about as long as i’m not doing any crazy rock crawling? do you know about how low for 35s or same thing

cangro408

I've had mine down to 9 before with no marks on the wheels. Wouldn't suggest it tho

wow you are brave my friend and anyone know of a good place to look for new wheels every website i’ve looked at i feel like the wheels aren’t what i’ve really been looking for. any suggestions ?

Parks34

wow you are brave my friend and anyone know of a good place to look for new wheels every website i’ve looked at i feel like the wheels aren’t what i’ve really been looking for. any suggestions ?

I like the old-school look. I have pro comp rock crawler series 97 with 35 inch nitto trail grapplers, they're like $52 bucks a peice new online Image1519079521.481825.jpg Image1519079546.785727.jpg Image1519079567.200910.jpg Image1519079577.651051.jpg

wjtstudios

Hooked
Spinning the wheels trying to conquer and obstacles is a sure way to blow a bead when you are at low psi. Even 15 psi will do it. Beadlocks give you that ability to use a bit more skinny pedal to get up and over something with out blowing a bead, But understand that the added rotational force will go thru your drivetrain if a tire grabs and potentially cause damage elsewhere

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
Beadlocks are great and if and when I swap my wheels it will be for beadlocks. That being said for someone who wheels once or twice a year on easy trails, as you stated, there's probably significantly better places you could spend that cash on your Jeep.

jesse3638

Hooked
Also you need to take into consideration you should not be using BL for a DD.
http://www.aev-conversions.com/pdf/BeadlockMythsAndMisconceptions.pdf

I run mine on a DD. There are many others as well. AEV are one of the few companies with a DOT approved set of bead locks so I feel it's more trying to persuade/scare potential customers to their product. If my wheel can be used on race trucks at 100+ in the desert they'll be fine on the interstate at 70-75mph

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

BlacknRedJK

Also you need to take into consideration you should not be using BL for a DD.
http://www.aev-conversions.com/pdf/BeadlockMythsAndMisconceptions.pdf

While that may be what AEV wants to tell you, it may not be true. Plenty of members run beadlocks as their daily driver wheel and as long as you maintain them correctly, like anything else on your Jeep, you will not have issues with them.

Edit: For what it’s worth, I don’t know how much I would trust AEV when it comes to beadlocks. Their Pintler beadlocks are notorious for cracking.

Last edited:

RockingK

If you ever pop a bead, you will wish you had bead locks. I have pop’d A bead at 15psi and made it a priority to move into bead locks with larger tires and changing one sucks, as I don’t use mine as a DD but do travel to wheeling destinations often and maintain them properly, never had an issue. That being said, it doesn’t sound like you will pushing the limits of your 35’s on trails and beach runs. It comes down to how you use your rig.

Top Bottom