PR60 (Hard Core package) hydro assist

rockwell

Last summer I installed one of Dynatracs hard core axle sets. The front came with the hydro assist ram mount integrated into the axle housing below the track mount, directly behind the tie rod. This is lower than a lot of the other mounts I’ve seen while searching and seems like it won’t have much protection from the rocks, but I could be over thinking this. Anybody else install a ram on a hardcore and have any issues/concerns?
Someone is going to say to pick better lines, trails can be pretty tight around here and the better lines are called ‘go-arounds’ and those aren’t any fun.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I suppose this is a legit concern but both your tie rod and ram sit above your axle housing. Even if you're smashing into your tie-rod all the time, your ram is behind it and should be shielded from a lot of your abuse.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
I have the same setup. The ram does sit a little lower than the axle tube and will get hit. I moved mine up by the trackbar to get it out of the way.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Buster3479

The ram when mounted sits below the axle tube in about the worst possible location in my opinion. I plan on cutting off my lower tab, grinding the trackbar bracket with a sanding drum to clear the ram, and welding on a custom tab up higher that I will have to notch around the swaybar link mount. I haven't done it yet, otherwise I'd provide pictures.

There are a lot of things I deem inferior on my 60/60 Hardcore package that are different than on the older separately ordered PR 60's that most people on this forum are familiar with. The Ram mount putting the ram as the lowest point of approach. A lot of us had to clearance the front lower LCA mounts, though not everyone had to in order to run Currie Jhonny joints without binding. When you first change your front diff fluid, you'll discover that you have an older generation PR60, not the dual sump design with multiple fill ports. The rear E-brake that still has no holding power even when properly adjusted. The rear Pro not higher clearance Prorock 60 that seems to get hung up on every pebble on the trail. The tie rod that bends when you look at it funny! I'm sure there's other things.

The first trip I took on the 60/60 package was my first experience with death wobble, never encountered in 60K miles on my PR44. I basically haven't driven my Jeep for the last year and missed several wheeling trips after buying the package.

I know everyone here loves their PR60s, but I wonder how many people who bought them in the hardcore package do. If I could reclaim the money to go back to a PR44 and a semi-float 60 or sport 44 rear, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
I have to agree with the ram location but after I installed my hardcore package my Jeep drives like a dream. One finger at 80 mph on the freeway.

Buster3479

Perhaps I just got a bad set. My Jeep drove hands off to 80 mph prior to the axles, not so much after despite the same tires balanced on new rims. Death wobble became a regular occurrence despite months of trouble shooting, and I eventually had to weld washer the trackbar holes as they looked like angled slots. The Dynatrac folks have been good about helping troubleshoot and replace parts, but I regret the purchase immensely. I should have bought a custom XD60 set up the way I wanted it instead of going the "budget" route!

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Perhaps I just got a bad set. My Jeep drove hands off to 80 mph prior to the axles, not so much after despite the same tires balanced on new rims. Death wobble became a regular occurrence despite months of trouble shooting, and I eventually had to weld washer the trackbar holes as they looked like angled slots. The Dynatrac folks have been good about helping troubleshoot and replace parts, but I regret the purchase immensely. I should have bought a custom XD60 set up the way I wanted it instead of going the "budget" route!

Dang dude.. sorry to hear you've had such bad luck. Hopefully you get everything figured out and can get back to wheelin

Buster3479

Thanks, sorry to derail the thread!

Yes, the ram sits below the axle tube.

Yes it will be a problem, there's no way it can't be with the mount they included.

I plan on customizing a mount to move it up by using the upper tab, welding on a custom tab above it notched around the swaybar link mount, and grinding the bracket with a sanding drum to clear the ram. I haven't done it yet, I'll post pictures when I do!

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Thanks, sorry to derail the thread!

Yes, the ram sits below the axle tube.

Yes it will be a problem, there's no way it can't be with the mount they included.

I plan on customizing a mount to move it up by using the upper tab, welding on a custom tab above it notched around the swaybar link mount, and grinding the bracket with a sanding drum to clear the ram. I haven't done it yet, I'll post pictures when I do!

Not saying this is the best fix, but I had my axle setup with EVO high steer. The ram is nice and protected and everything is up and out of the way.

Buster3479

I talked with ORE, they won't, and don't recommend doing it with shocks and coils, or the bolt on kit. In the rusty NE, I'm not sure I want to put a DTD on it (nor can I afford it right now).

Benito

Caught the Bug
I talked with ORE, they won't, and don't recommend doing it with shocks and coils, or the bolt on kit. In the rusty NE, I'm not sure I want to put a DTD on it (nor can I afford it right now).

What was their reasoning behind that? I have seen the highsteer done w/ bolt-on coilovers and is an option i am considering for my hardcore PR60, I am also considering getting a custom skid done by Exodus Jeeps. That’s a shame about the issues you have ran into with your set, i also had to grind out the control arm brackets to clear the adjustment nuts on the Evo arms, and i haven’t bent my tierod but it has started to flop whenever i steer.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
What was their reasoning behind that? I have seen the highsteer done w/ bolt-on coilovers and is an option i am considering for my hardcore PR60, I am also considering getting a custom skid done by Exodus Jeeps. That’s a shame about the issues you have ran into with your set, i also had to grind out the control arm brackets to clear the adjustment nuts on the Evo arms, and i haven’t bent my tierod but it has started to flop whenever i steer.

I didn’t need to grind my control arm mounts with my double D long arms but I did trash that tie rod on a rock and it took nothing to bend it back straight. Pretty sad tie rod to include with the package.

benatc1

Hooked
Spend the extra money on a better tie rod. If the one they provide with their axles isn’t quite what fits your needs then upgrade it. Your paying for their axles not their steering system (granted I’m sure there is some charge in there for it) but you have to believe that the cost of the axles would go up even more for a beefier tie rod. All depends on what you want to pay for in the end.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
The ram when mounted sits below the axle tube in about the worst possible location in my opinion. I plan on cutting off my lower tab, grinding the trackbar bracket with a sanding drum to clear the ram, and welding on a custom tab up higher that I will have to notch around the swaybar link mount. I haven't done it yet, otherwise I'd provide pictures.

There are a lot of things I deem inferior on my 60/60 Hardcore package that are different than on the older separately ordered PR 60's that most people on this forum are familiar with. The Ram mount putting the ram as the lowest point of approach. A lot of us had to clearance the front lower LCA mounts, though not everyone had to in order to run Currie Jhonny joints without binding. When you first change your front diff fluid, you'll discover that you have an older generation PR60, not the dual sump design with multiple fill ports. The rear E-brake that still has no holding power even when properly adjusted. The rear Pro not higher clearance Prorock 60 that seems to get hung up on every pebble on the trail. The tie rod that bends when you look at it funny! I'm sure there's other things.

The first trip I took on the 60/60 package was my first experience with death wobble, never encountered in 60K miles on my PR44. I basically haven't driven my Jeep for the last year and missed several wheeling trips after buying the package.

I know everyone here loves their PR60s, but I wonder how many people who bought them in the hardcore package do. If I could reclaim the money to go back to a PR44 and a semi-float 60 or sport 44 rear, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Wow, that's a pretty rough review on the hardcore 60 setup. I'd be unhappy if I dropped that kind of coin and wasn't 100% satisfied like I am with my PR44.

RSQCON

Buster your concerns with the Hardcore package do not fall on deaf ears. While I have no regrets going with the same package many of the issues you mentioned have come to the forefront. My biggest issue is the tierod and ram mount. I'm not the best driver which is probably why I'm on my 2nd tie rod from Dynatrac but the factory setup does not provide much clearance on the rocks. For those thinking that going with an XD60 is the answer there are pros and con some to the new big aluminum knuckles.

I have been going back and forth on this issue for 6 months now and I'm probably going to sit on it a while longer. Evo offers their Hi-steer setup but this is still not the right answer to me. I like that they run the ram to the knuckle instead of the tie rod but it sits to low.

I have found a company in Arizona that is machining their own hi steer arms and double sheer setup for the ProRock 60. My goal is to go this route and preferably relocate the tie rod above the lower arm and if there is enough room sandwich the ram between the tie rod and hi steer arm. If there isn't enough room I'll attach the ram to the tie rod instead of the knuckle. Also looking at going with 7075 aluminum tie rod depending on the ram setup

Buster3479

Buster your concerns with the Hardcore package do not fall on deaf ears. While I have no regrets going with the same package many of the issues you mentioned have come to the forefront. My biggest issue is the tierod and ram mount. I'm not the best driver which is probably why I'm on my 2nd tie rod from Dynatrac but the factory setup does not provide much clearance on the rocks. For those thinking that going with an XD60 is the answer there are pros and con some to the new big aluminum knuckles.

I have been going back and forth on this issue for 6 months now and I'm probably going to sit on it a while longer. Evo offers their Hi-steer setup but this is still not the right answer to me. I like that they run the ram to the knuckle instead of the tie rod but it sits to low.

I have found a company in Arizona that is machining their own hi steer arms and double sheer setup for the ProRock 60. My goal is to go this route and preferably relocate the tie rod above the lower arm and if there is enough room sandwich the ram between the tie rod and hi steer arm. If there isn't enough room I'll attach the ram to the tie rod instead of the knuckle. Also looking at going with 7075 aluminum tie rod depending on the ram setup

Thanks! Can you point me in the direction of the custom steer arms?

I had Fusion 4x4 make me a 7075 tie rod with custom bent Rare Parts ends (the ends on the Currie), but due to other issues and troubleshooting I've yet to wheel it so I can't report. I never damaged his tie rod on my PR44 with a few seasons of wheeing.

I made some rather large troubleshooting efforts this winter, and theoretically I've addressed every possible death wobble cause except replacing the Dynatrac 60 balljoints which have less than 4k miles on them. I've even re-built the hubs with new bearings as I was measuring excessive run out. The classic trouble shooting tests indicate my problem isn't the ball joints, but it still existed after the first round of troubleshooting and replacements last fall. I'm specifically avoiding putting the ram on until I know the death wobble is gone when going over our local bumpy loads at low speeds. I don't just want to mask it!

For those thinking you can just buy an off the shelf tie rod for this setup... it's shorter than anything I could find for a JK. The only solution I could find for 1/16-1/8" of toe was a custom one.

I've really hijacked the original poster's thread at this point, and for that I apologize!

Last edited:
Top Bottom