Realtime MPG Readout?

Jacalore

2007 JK X
Installed Toyo 33s and my mph is off but not significantly. Mpg took a hit with the heavier tires. I'd like to monitor fuel consumption in real-time. Is there computer device that can be installed with a readout?

TIA

Omnifox

I have a system set up to log my trips and that includes Fuel consumption.

Plugs into the ODB port and has a cellular connection to the web to log it. (Hum.com)

Don't know if that gets you what you want, but you could always reset your MPG meter too.

WW_Svi

If you absolutely want it the obd2 port is the easiest. Figure out which wires are needed (power, ground, 2 CAN wires) and you could splice into it to run a separate device. There are apps for your phone like Torque and others. There are also other systems that are hardwired to a little lcd display. Google is your friend here.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WW_Svi

Thanks. Found an app and a Bluetooth dongle... would an odb splitter work?

I haven’t looked into stuff for the obd port for a while now but it looks like it would work. That will make things nice and simple. The apps on the phone are pretty convenient and usually have good info on them. It’s a nice feature to get check engine data as well.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You need to calibrate your speedo for tire size before you’ll get accurate readings. I doubt the weight of the tire made you take as big of a hit as you think.

zimm

Caught the Bug
But the diameter not matching the factory calibration means the jeep is actually rolling further than the computer thinks. Therefore your mpg will read lower than actual.

Why worry about real time mpg? You have the wrong vehicle for saving fuel.

I get 11mpg if that makes you feel better.

Jacalore

But the diameter not matching the factory calibration means the jeep is actually rolling further than the computer thinks. Therefore your mpg will read lower than actual.

Why worry about real time mpg? You have the wrong vehicle for saving fuel.

I get 11mpg if that makes you feel better.

Haha! I want to know everything!
Correct on the tire change/mph error.
Mpg is a handy stat to monitor changes. Knowledge is power!
Gonna go with port splitter, and hope the 2 dongles don't interfere with each other.

Jacalore

I haven’t looked into stuff for the obd port for a while now but it looks like it would work. That will make things nice and simple. The apps on the phone are pretty convenient and usually have good info on them. It’s a nice feature to get check engine data as well.

So, the data available depends on Jeep's monitor/computer setup.
Any way to know that in advance? What data I'll be able to view?

RioGrandeJK

I picked up an Ultra Gauge Blue ($80 or so) seems to work decent. Plugs into OBDII and you download an app for your phone (works with android and IOS... not sure on windows) The info it will provide is determined by what sensors the vehicle has which isn't always clear, you really need to play with the different gauges and see what works for you. If it doesn't work chances are you don't have that sensor. I got it to monitor engine temp (really wanted oil temp/pressure but I guess I don't have those sensors) while towing as well as the ability to read and clear trouble codes. It was highly recommended by a friend who uses one on his Taco.

Here' s the link:
http://ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge-blue.htm

Get a ProCal as well and get your tire size calibrated, it also works great to level that uneven kitchen table after you get your vehicle dialed in.

Last edited:

WW_Svi

The obd2 readers should be able to read any information made available by the manufacturer. Now the big thing to this is that the company that made the app knows what channels to read and how to convert that data to something that makes sense to us.

Grand cherokees have oil temp readout but idk about wranglers. Never checked what they have. If the app doesn’t have a reading but you know the manufacturer has a channel for that data, you typically can make a custom sensor or data on the app along with the conversion units and then you can read it. But if you don’t know then it may be hard to find.

Jacalore

The obd2 readers should be able to read any information made available by the manufacturer. Now the big thing to this is that the company that made the app knows what channels to read and how to convert that data to something that makes sense to us.

Grand cherokees have oil temp readout but idk about wranglers. Never checked what they have. If the app doesn’t have a reading but you know the manufacturer has a channel for that data, you typically can make a custom sensor or data on the app along with the conversion units and then you can read it. But if you don’t know then it may be hard to find.

Found this...
Possible all this info is avaiable?

Attachments

• UltraGauge OBDII Vehicle Gauge Availability Estimator.pdf
    87.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

WW_Svi

Looks to have a good amount but that’s really up to you. If it’s got what you’re looking for, the price is right and reviews sound good then that sounds like a win.

Edit: I realize what you were asking. I have no idea on the wranglers. I’ve never plugged my scanner into mine. I only use mine on my summer car.

Last edited:

RioGrandeJK

Found this...
Possible all this info is avaiable?

That list seems about right, but I have tried some of these gauges and they don't display anything. Such as oil temp, last time I tried it it just said "-40*F". I'll try it again on the way home today.

Jacalore

Ok, status update...
Bought $20 diagnostic dongle for OBD2 port. Bought $5 app for phone display. Works great, lotta info!

Now, the big question is... if I add an OBD2 splitter, will the two dongles play nice together?

Standby...

Top Bottom