DIY storage/security deck.

Wethy

I've seen one thread regarding a DIY storage deck on here and was wondering if anyone else has thrown together something for the back of their 2dr JK. I'm thinking of making something out of some plywood and 2x2 pine or balsa/basswood(to save weight). most likely if i do ill use 1/2" plywood on the top and put carpet on top for grip, and use some black spraypaint on the sides. based on the weight ratings of 2x2 pine and 1/2" plywood should be around 35-45 Lbs. which isnt too bad if it can just slide in and out as needed.

mostly i want to use it as an out of sight out of mind deterrant when im out and about with the roof down, or to store our drone under so it doesnt have something accidentally fall on it while offroading as well.

im open to ideas on how to save some weight by using alternative materials other than plywood and lumber.

here is my proposed drawing of what it might look like as far as how itd be framed. roughly atleast.

Attachments

• JK Storage Mockup.jpg
    JK Storage Mockup.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 439

Wethy

Not a 2 door, but here's what we did for my wife's Jeep and ran it all last summer with no complaints. We used Herculiner bedliner for the finish. You can see how/what we did here: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/39727-The-Building-of-Compromise?p=888508&viewfull=1#post888508

Only con IMO is that you can't fit an ARB fridge under it. Here's the final product.

View attachment 294007
I had thought something similar to that originally. However with the 2drs. The soft top supports fold down into the sides of the jeep so i wouldnt be able to properly lower the top in the summer. So my design currently takes that into account. And as for an ARB fridge thats not in my near future, and this would just be used for dailying, and what not. So provided it works as intended. If i need a full size cooler then i can just slide the shelf/deck out and throw a cooler in. Lol

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JAGS

Hooked
I believe Overlander modified a security deck project for his two door. Maybe he'll see this and post up.

SoCalJeepster

20180211_091849.jpg

I built some storage for the rear of my 2 door not too long ago. I used mdf that i sealed up. The front has 2, twenty inch locking drawers and theres a bin behind them that opens from the top. I highly recommend the anti slam drawer slides. I used this scratch resistant rubber matting for the top that you can find at homedepot for like 12 bucks. Then i carpeted the front drawers for aesthetics. You could easily add any sort of locks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

SoCalJeepster

View attachment 294029

I built some storage for the rear of my 2 door not too long ago. I used mdf that i sealed up. The front has 2, twenty inch locking drawers and theres a bin behind them that opens from the top. I highly recommend the anti slam drawer slides. I used this scratch resistant rubber matting for the top that you can find at homedepot for like 12 bucks. Then i carpeted the front drawers for aesthetics. You could easily add any sort of locks.

I know you want to use balsa or something lighter but with moisture and humidity keep in mind of how the wood will expand ot contract. Mine is easily removed by two people. Ive even put it in myself without help.

Wethy

I know you want to use balsa or something lighter but with moisture and humidity keep in mind of how the wood will expand ot contract. Mine is easily removed by two people. Ive even put it in myself without help.

Good to know i intend to seal it up somehow either paint or a coating on all sides i do have some lexan i could put on the bottom as runners so itd slide easier. And i am aware of the expansion/contraction issue. Lol i jist made that up quick last night. So its still jist an idea. The back would be open so the tailgate would open to have access.

Also WJCO I forgot to mention i have a small electric cooler i use for small day trips and itd fit nicely under it. Its no ARB but it does the job. Ha ha

JK_BUB

Not a 2 door, but thought it might spark some ideas for construction. This is mine I made out of 1/2” steel square tubing skinned in .063 aluminum.

Attachments

• 9991F51C-6674-4105-AD40-55996A807649.jpg
    9991F51C-6674-4105-AD40-55996A807649.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 327

bigcale

Caught the Bug
I keep toying with the idea of building one of these for my 2 door. Unfortunately I tend to bring my dog with me when I go wheeling at at around 90 lbs he needs some space. Probably going to make the frame out of metal and a plywood top.

Wethy

I keep toying with the idea of building one of these for my 2 door. Unfortunately I tend to bring my dog with me when I go wheeling at at around 90 lbs he needs some space. Probably going to make the frame out of metal and a plywood top.

ha ha makes sense. the ease of getting it in and out of the jeep is the main importance for me. for me being able to slide the whole thing out and throw the back seat or a lot of camping gear/large cooler in there is my main priority. basically ill use the loops beside the back tray and probably the one of the seat loops with a couple bungee cords to keep it from bouncing around, then when i need to take it out, pull the cords and slide the whole thing out.

Not a 2 door, but thought it might spark some ideas for construction. This is mine I made out of 1/2” steel square tubing skinned in .063 aluminum.

that is a pretty slick setup, however would be totally over kill for what i need! square tube might be a good idea, as i could weld it up and it would be solid,

i do think based on my first cad drawing i made up a fair estimate is between 35-50 pounds. so if i do go this route it should end up working nicely for my needs. other wise, ill probly just do what WJCO did and then when when topless season rolls around maybe ill find out exactly where the arms for the soft top end up and see if i can just notch the plywood and brace it on the bottom.

jesse3638

Hooked
Not a 2 door, but here's what we did for my wife's Jeep and ran it all last summer with no complaints. We used Herculiner bedliner for the finish. You can see how/what we did here: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/39727-The-Building-of-Compromise?p=888508&viewfull=1#post888508

Only con IMO is that you can't fit an ARB fridge under it. Here's the final product.

View attachment 294007

Hadn't seen that before. Looks simple and easy to make. Could you post up other pics or point me in the right direction of previously posted pics?

WJCO

Meme King
Hadn't seen that before. Looks simple and easy to make. Could you post up other pics or point me in the right direction of previously posted pics?

Follow that link you quoted. It will take you to the posts in the build thread where we built it. Biggest tip is if you have a soft top, you have to fully remove one plastic C pillar when you install it. If you measure the cargo part of the tub, it is actually tapered, the edges aren't parallel. So if you try to force it in, it will break the C pillar (been there). I folded down the rear seats, and installed the board rearward. The board is .750 thick. The tie downs were cheap and the hold down screws I found online. They're knobs made for a JK.

jeeeep

Hooked

Wethy

Here's mine for a 4-Dr but can be modified with measurements of what you need. The thread gives the ins and outs of why I built the way I did.

DIY JK Trunk deck and security enclosure

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=45451

that's a good idea to facilitate the fridge on the slider! not a bad idea at all. unfortunately i don't think that type of bracketry will work for my needs, as i do need to run the rear seats on occasion. its very rare but it does happen.
one thing i do like about yours is using the cardboard to create a template for a top piece. you did a good job on your deck. how has the plastidip held up on there?

JAGS

Hooked
that's a good idea to facilitate the fridge on the slider! not a bad idea at all. unfortunately i don't think that type of bracketry will work for my needs, as i do need to run the rear seats on occasion. its very rare but it does happen.
one thing i do like about yours is using the cardboard to create a template for a top piece. you did a good job on your deck. how has the plastidip held up on there?

Everything has held up well. I did the plasti dip just to help seal the wood. Then put the carpet over.

It's four bolts to take it out if I want to. But so far, it's just stay in.

jesse3638

Hooked
Follow that link you quoted. It will take you to the posts in the build thread where we built it. Biggest tip is if you have a soft top, you have to fully remove one plastic C pillar when you install it. If you measure the cargo part of the tub, it is actually tapered, the edges aren't parallel. So if you try to force it in, it will break the C pillar (been there). I folded down the rear seats, and installed the board rearward. The board is .750 thick. The tie downs were cheap and the hold down screws I found online. They're knobs made for a JK.
Yeah over looked that. Talk about a duh moment..haha. Thanks.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

whispike

Check out the Slipstream security deck enclosure by Diabolical Inc. It’s light weight, lockable and able to support 200lbs. I’ve been running it for a month now and absolutely love it!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Wethy

Check out the Slipstream security deck enclosure by Diabolical Inc. It’s light weight, lockable and able to support 200lbs. I’ve been running it for a month now and absolutely love it!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
It does look nice but at 650 US i might as well get the TUFFY. Lol and it still wont allow me to take the soft top off without completely removing the soft top frame. I do appreciate the option though

Top Bottom