Cherokee xj

jeep hunter

Curious..any opinions on the 1997 jeep xj sport 4x4? I've been researching and have mixed thoughts. For example, have 98 Cherokee I'm looking to buy (4200 dollars with 182xxx miles.) Where as the 97 Cherokee xj sport has 212xxx miles. Which model woukd be best coat effective and less maintenance costs? Or are the same? Thx in advance

Sent from my SM-J320V using WAYALIFE mobile app

IgotaWoody39

I had a 97, exhaust manifold was my only problems,,,as was my 88 commanche,,,,stay away from the 99 - 2001 xj, as the exhaust manifolds more expensive and come in two parts with 4 02 sensors,,,,the heads were also reconfigured with smaller exhaust ports and were known to crack between the # 3 and 4 cylinders,,,,head casting #0331....I currently have a 2001 xj I got for a loan payback, and head was passing antifreeze between 3 & 4....I just replaced three days ago...On your other link " 98 xj " I answered one of questions with a link to engine builders dot com,,,they explain the differences between the heads for all years of xjs and I inserted a 2nd link to tech manuals & service manuals as well,,,,,both are very informative,,,, torgue specs, part numbers, evrything xj on the 2nd link...good luck with your build..

Curious..any opinions on the 1997 jeep xj sport 4x4? I've been researching and have mixed thoughts. For example, have 98 Cherokee I'm looking to buy (4200 dollars with 182xxx miles.) Where as the 97 Cherokee xj sport has 212xxx miles. Which model woukd be best coat effective and less maintenance costs? Or are the same? Thx in advance

jeep hunter

I knew about staying away from 99 and newer. I had read somewhere the change in the heads and exhaust manifold system. That's why I'm looking at 97-98 as the oldest models. But do appreciate the info.

IgotaWoody39

The intake runner on the 99 -2001 is worth getting a hold of one if you can,,, they were an improvement to the 4.0...and I saw a youtube video last nite of a guy comparing the 99 - and up to the 98 and down, looks like they fit,,, might be some extra get up n go or something to look into...

Top Bottom