What is the difference?

Verificatory

New guy here. What’s the difference between a normal suspension lift, I’m gonna say rough country, teraflex, MetalCloak as examples. And a coil over like EVO with the adjustable shocks (like falcon and kings). I don’t really understand what’s so advantageous of coil overs. I currently have an unknown lift..... bought it like that. And I want to make this rig a totally, CAN DO IT ALL, rig. So I would love some explanation from people who know more than a random YouTuber/ maybe a dude on a forum who doesn’t truly know like some of you all do.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

OldManJeepin

As a "new guy" on the board, I like to adhere to the premise "Read more & post less" allowing me time to use the "Search" button to find my answers, but that's just me. At any rate, there is no "one size fits all" lift: you should drive your Jeep for a while and figure out exactly what kind of wheeling you are interested in doing and build it up for that. Jeeps are pretty darn capable right out of the box. Post some pics of your suspension and I'm sure somebody can help you figure out what you have now. Just sayin'.......:thumb:

WJCO

Meme King
Truthfully, I don't know much about coilovers, but from what I've read on this forum, they offer way more comfort and control at higher off-road speeds as well as on road comfort. One other benefit to some coilover kits is that the shock is mounted much higher so you can use a longer shock and gain more down travel.

As far as brand, try and find a good US made kit and you'll have a much higher chance of your parts lasting. Teraflex is built in China and their shit breaks all the time.

You likely don't need to go 4 inches or higher, but if you do, a long arm kit will make your control arm angles less steep and really provide a better ride on the road.

Verificatory

Truthfully, I don't know much about coilovers, but from what I've read on this forum, they offer way more comfort and control at higher off-road speeds as well as on road comfort. One other benefit to some coilover kits is that the shock is mounted much higher so you can use a longer shock and gain more down travel.

As far as brand, try and find a good US made kit and you'll have a much higher chance of your parts lasting. Teraflex is built in China and their shit breaks all the time.

You likely don't need to go 4 inches or higher, but if you do, a long arm kit will make your control arm angles less steep and really provide a better ride on the road.

I’m at 4” now. I just know that there is so much talk and such about what’s so good and yah yah. Lol

Verificatory

As a "new guy" on the board, I like to adhere to the premise "Read more & post less" allowing me time to use the "Search" button to find my answers, but that's just me. At any rate, there is no "one size fits all" lift: you should drive your Jeep for a while and figure out exactly what kind of wheeling you are interested in doing and build it up for that. Jeeps are pretty darn capable right out of the box. Post some pics of your suspension and I'm sure somebody can help you figure out what you have now. Just sayin'.......:thumb:

This is what I’m looking at doing, but where I live is different. I love the thought of true rock crawling like Moab and Colorado or the Mohave, but I live in Georgia. The best trails around me are Choccolocco ORV park in Alabama. I have no problem traveling they’re, but here in the south (if you’re not from here) it’s mud, pointy rocks, no grip on rock, etc. I’m looking at a lift that’s going to take the brute force when I get out to the west and such and wheel, but can do the nasty mess out in this part of the country. I tried to find some explanations, just sadly weren’t any that helped me understand.

WJCO

Meme King
You don't need coilovers for rock crawling. Your Jeep may be just fine as is. What kind of 4 inch kit do you have and what size tires do you have?

wjtstudios

Hooked
I decided against coilovers on my build. In the eastern half of the county, there really aren’t any places short of the dunes to really let the coilovers work. They are meant for going fast. For crawling, I went with 4.5” AEV springs, King 2.5 adjustable shocks, EVO Long arm kit and fusion axles and steering. It’s everything that I can put to work in my region. If I lived in California, I would have gone in the other direction and gone full DTD.

Gobicon2017

I’m at 4” now. I just know that there is so much talk and such about what’s so good and yah yah. Lol

I have the evo coil overs and can highly recommend them. I’ve had several other kits from BDS, pro comp over the years. I decided on the coilovers mainly because of the adjustability. I’m able to get out and do some of it all on occasion. I wanted something that could grow with my build. Height adjustments, heavier coils for more cargo etc.

Like others have stated there are kits that are just as comparable, kinda set and forget it kits were as kings need attention from time to time. Hope some of this helps. [emoji112][emoji112]

Verificatory

I have the evo coil overs and can highly recommend them. I’ve had several other kits from BDS, pro comp over the years. I decided on the coilovers mainly because of the adjustability. I’m able to get out and do some of it all on occasion. I wanted something that could grow with my build. Height adjustments, heavier coils for more cargo etc.

Like others have stated there are kits that are just as comparable, kinda set and forget it kits were as kings need attention from time to time. Hope some of this helps. [emoji112][emoji112]

Well if some of the best rigs run the evo, probably a good idea.....

Top Bottom