Jeep wont turn over, just clicks.....

JS-CHLLN

I'm losing my mind right now. I own a 2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU. It could be a coincidence but the issue has been happening since changing the Transfer case. When crank the key to start it just clicks, and after doing several times it will start. I checked the battery connections and all snug and tight. Problem still happened, not just when car was hot, even after sitting over night. Sometimes I would go a whole week with out it happening, then it would just happen. Okay thought it was the starter. Placed a new, non rebuilt starter and still the same. Next thought it might be an ignition issue so changed the ignition relay and still having issues. The problem is so intermittent that I cant seem to pinpoint it. Any thoughts?? Anyone run into this??

WJCO

Meme King
I'm losing my mind right now. I own a 2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU. It could be a coincidence but the issue has been happening since changing the Transfer case. When crank the key to start it just clicks, and after doing several times it will start. I checked the battery connections and all snug and tight. Problem still happened, not just when car was hot, even after sitting over night. Sometimes I would go a whole week with out it happening, then it would just happen. Okay thought it was the starter. Placed a new, non rebuilt starter and still the same. Next thought it might be an ignition issue so changed the ignition relay and still having issues. The problem is so intermittent that I cant seem to pinpoint it. Any thoughts?? Anyone run into this??

Recheck all electrical connections near your tcase. I honestly would have thought it was the starter as well from what you've described.

dillard09

I had something very similar happening to mine once. Make sure that your terminals are clean and the connections are not loose. I thought mine were good but turned out it was my negative. I pulled cleaned and made sure it was snug and it hasn't happened since.
Might not be the same in your case. Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

WW_Svi

Sounds like a power issue. I had something like this in my old ZJ and the wires were oxidized. Like everyone else said, check the wires to make sure they are tight and don’t have any corrosion on them. Also check the battery, the auto parts stores can do a load test on it. They can also check to make sure the charging system is up to par.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jellymon

This was happening to me. Random click no start. Sometimes it didn't happen for a few days, other times it would happen 2-4 times in a row. I found quite a few people fixing it by adding a 4 gauge battery cable from the negative battery terminal, to one of the mounting bolts on the alternator. Apparently it's a grounding issue. I installed the wire and my JKU has started on the first try every time for 3 months so far. Seems like it did the trick. It's a cheap easy option to try.

At first I thought it was my neutral safety switch. But it started happening even when I tried to start in neutral. Sometimes it would start by wiggling/moving the shifter, and sometimes it wouldn't. And it would always eventually start in park without even touching the shifter. The switch wasn't my issue, but it could possibly be yours. I'm just sharing what fixed mine.

This isn't my jeep, but pics from the thread I was following showing the fix for mine. Wire from negative battery terminal, to alternator mounting bolt.

Attachments

• image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 42
  • image1-2.JPG
    image1-2.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Top Bottom