Genright Tire Carrier

Cold Gas

Was wondering if anybody else was running their tire carrier? I have it in aluminum and am pretty disappointed with it honestly. With less than 5K miles it sags so much I have to lift it to close it. Can't adjust it even after trying multiple times using their method. I suppose I could live with that but the part I really hate is that I can't open the rear glass on my hardtop with it on, because the glass hits my tire as it won't open far enough to clear it. So basically not very happy, especially for the price.
I guess I have to either rework the door stops myself, or buy something else that will hold a 40" tire. Was wondering in anybody else had made up a new gate stop on theirs because of the same issue? I tried a search and came up empty. Thanks

IMG_6341.jpg
IMG_6342.jpg
IMG_6343.jpg

Last edited:

dillard09

Was wondering if anybody else was running their tire carrier? I have it in aluminum and am pretty disappointed with it honestly. With less than 5K miles it sags so much I have to lift it to close it. Can't adjust it even after trying multiple times using their method. I suppose I could live with that but the part I really hate is that I can't open the rear glass on my hardtop with it on, because the glass hits my tire as it won't open far enough to clear it. So basically not very happy, especially for the price.
I guess I have to either rework the door stops myself, or buy something else that will hold a 40" tire. Was wondering in anybody else had made up a new gate stop on theirs because of the same issue? I tried a search and came up empty. Thanks
M_Savage has it with a 40 on it now and he hasn't said anything about issues. He does have custom mounts on the drivers side though.
I would say to give genright a call. I have heard that they were great to talk to and I'm sure can help you out since it's their carrier and I know they put 40s on them.
Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

jasont0311

Caught the Bug
I've had this tire carrier for years now. I transition between 35's and 37's. It does take some tweaking, some times I nail it and there's no lifting and other times I feel I can never get it right and I have to lift it. I usually have my wife hold it high, tighten, put the tire on and check. Its held up very well and I actually enjoy the look of it over others. Overall I don't mind having to give it a slight lift to get it in lined with the pins but I do understand why some might be annoyed.

Cold Gas

I've had this tire carrier for years now. I transition between 35's and 37's. It does take some tweaking, some times I nail it and there's no lifting and other times I feel I can never get it right and I have to lift it. I usually have my wife hold it high, tighten, put the tire on and check. Its held up very well and I actually enjoy the look of it over others. Overall I don't mind having to give it a slight lift to get it in lined with the pins but I do understand why some might be annoyed.

I can maybe live with that issue although I shouldn't have to.
Do you have a hard top? If so can you open your rear glass on it with a spare tire in carrier?

jasont0311

Caught the Bug
I can maybe live with that issue although I shouldn't have to.
Do you have a hard top? If so can you open your rear glass on it with a spare tire in carrier?

it takes some fences but I promise you'll get it adjusted at some point. I do have a hard top and can open the rear with a 37" tire (40" I can't speak of)

Cold Gas

it takes some fences but I promise you'll get it adjusted at some point. I do have a hard top and can open the rear with a 37" tire (40" I can't speak of)

Thanks for the info.
I did try and adjust it 4 times yesterday. I even took the spare tire off and had a buddy hold it as high as possible with both mounts loose on passenger side, before cranking them right as per their adjustment video on YouTube. Still just sags like crazy on me.
Not being able to open my rear glass is the real issue for me. Maybe it fits the tires but it’s not functional at all with mine in it.
I did email them and will call if I don’t have a reply tomorrow morning. I think some different mounts will solve my problem. Hopefully they will sort it out for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jasont0311

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the info.
I did try and adjust it 4 times yesterday. I even took the spare tire off and had a buddy hold it as high as possible with both mounts loose on passenger side, before cranking them right as per their adjustment video on YouTube. Still just sags like crazy on me.
Not being able to open my rear glass is the real issue for me. Maybe it fits the tires but it’s not functional at all with mine in it.
I did email them and will call if I don’t have a reply tomorrow morning. I think some different mounts will solve my problem. Hopefully they will sort it out for me.

Ya I don't know how much help it was. My info is for 35's and 37's maybe once you get to 40's things change. Keep us posted for the guys who want to go to 40's with this tire carrier! I hope everything works out.

koasta11

I have the same tire carrier and I run 40 nitto's.
When I go to close it I am right at the same spot as you I have to lift it to close which doesn't bother me.
I haven't even tried to adjust it.
As far as not being able to open the back window mine opens no problem at all its close but opens.
I actually love the tire carrier my 40 does not budge!

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Judesign

Caught the Bug
When adjusting it for sag have you loosened the bolts on the passenger side enough that they will shift in the bolt-holes and then re-torqued them? This happened to me and I wasn’t loosening them enough and basically just flexing the carrier and retightening. Either way that looks like way too much sag and likely the cause of the glass hitting. Also do you have the tire mount on the top of the mounting plate or the bottom?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Cold Gas

When adjusting it for sag have you loosened the bolts on the passenger side enough that they will shift in the bolt-holes and then re-torqued them? This happened to me and I wasn’t loosening them enough and basically just flexing the carrier and retightening. Either way that looks like way too much sag and likely the cause of the glass hitting. Also do you have the tire mount on the top of the mounting plate or the bottom?

I have it mounted in the top of the mounting plate. But don’t think that would effect its ability to open to 90* would it?
I did loosen them all the way slack, with the tire off the carrier, before trying to adjust it for sag the second time.

Also I got an email back from Genright as well as a phone call today. They think I may of got 2 bottom hinges somehow as the top one is supposed to be slotted to allow for adjustment they told me. Mine both look identical to me. So I took some pics and sent them back to them. But the carrier doesn’t open to 90* which is why I think the glass hits. They asked for a pic of that as well. So I sent them this one. It’s the most it will open on my Jeep. I think the glass would clear if it opened more.
I will say they have been very helpful and are trying to help me get this figured out which I greatly appreciate.

IMG_6374.jpg

Cold Gas

Hi Judesign,

I went and looked at it after you mentioned the position of the plate. I can see how if it was lower the glass may clear. But I am not certain that the tire will fit in the lower position because of how tight it seems in the current position, and also the amount of clearance to the bumper.
Here are a couple pics so you can see what I mean. But only one way to know for sure and that’s to try it I guess.

IMG_6382.jpg
IMG_6381.jpg

Judesign

Caught the Bug
That sucks. Maybe you did get two of the same hinges. Mine definitely opens past 90 degrees and I can see how that would cause an issue. I’m sure genright will send you the correct one. Let us know what happens.

Cold Gas

I got an email from them today. They said I got two bottom hinges somehow. Correct one is on the way express. Should hopefully fix all my issues.
Will let you know how it goes when it arrives. I am already taking the carrier and top hinge off tonight.

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
Man that sucks. The only thing i can think to do is back new stop blocks that will slow the tire Carrier to swing further then it does now without hitting the tail light. I had to dodge that problem when I was making my home made tire carrier.

Cold Gas

Well I finally got the new upper hinge from Genright. It actually has a cam welded to the bolt so it’s easy to adjust alone, and fixed all my sag issues for sure. BUT I still couldn’t open the rear glass due to the stop on the lower hinge. Plus the bottom drive side doesn’t fit in the latch side quite properly now either. I suspect my original hinges were garbage that was accidentally shipped to a customer maybe?
So I was pissed off a bit and decided to just cut the stop off the bottom hinge. So I can now open the glass as the stop on the new upper is in the perfect spot. Also if I get my brother to hang off the carrier I can latch up the bottom. I suppose it’s a temp situation as I did email them and ask for a new bottom hinge as well. I wish they had just sent me a new set of upper / lower hinges, but guess I will have to make it work for now as leaving for Moab on Wednesday next week and likely won’t see a new lower hinge before that.

Top Bottom