JK Lean

jorgelrod

Hooked
So I really noticed my JK leaning on the passenger side for a while. I got so annoyed about it today that I measured my Jeep. It's 22 inches on the driver side and 21.5 on the passenger side. First I've got to wonder if they originally sent me a 2.5 inch kit that had 3.5 inch shocks and springs cause this kit has been on my Jeep since 2013 with the warn bumper and powerplant 12K winch and I still have the same height. I sit at 3" on one side and 3.5" on the other. Question is could I buy just the Evo 3" springs to replace mine and newer shocks and be done with it or should I just live with the lean? Shock are definitely getting changed.

TRLJNKY

^^^ This. or just live with it like me haha. ive even had coworkers point it out to me.

aka cavfighter

WW_Svi

Sometimes springs will take a set, there is also manufacturing tolerances of spring rates. Also, Vehicles are designed for weight distribution with the driver in the seat and so much fuel in the tank. This usually accounts for why new vehicles have a slight lean. With the Jeeps entire tank on the right side this will make a slight difference since the fuel will be over 100lbs when full.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

The BAD Influence

Caught the Bug
I've read about the Jeep lean, noticed ours, didn't think much about it. My wife has started pointing it out, and I tell her its normal. Yesterday she said she thinks its getting worse, I looked and have to agree. The words that were about to come out of my mouth were "We just filled up the tank, so I'm sure it will lean a little more". I stopped myself, because the lean is the drivers side, and I think its getting worse. A lean to the drivers side isn't normal...is it? Something I should be worried about or looking for?

Tree Frog

How come every few months this subject comes up?

This just about drove me nuts at first. It was very obvious just after putting on coilovers.
My garage floor is very flat side to side with a slight drop out towards the door. Perfect place to set up a suspension system.
First it would be to the Pass. side, then to the Drivers side. Then back to the Pass. side. FFS?
Like a full damn inch or more.

I adjusted this and that, loosened and tightened, disconnected my sway bars both front and rear.
Then it seemed like I was onto something.
I think it was our brother "Overlander" that figured it out.
The distance can be made up with adjustable sway bar end links.

But here is the cool part, I ordered a set of Evo adjustable end links. Put them on on holy shit I had almost NO LEAN. WTF?
Well my guess is the damn factory end links with the bolt crushing the rubber bushing into the sway bar puts enough bind into the mix to cause us to lean one way or the other, depending on last direction of "hard lean loading". (Dont know what to call it after all this beer):beer:

The Evo sway bar end links use a heim joint on both ends. They are fully adjustable in and out. HOWEVER you need to measure for the correct length and order accordingly depending on your lift height.
But my guess is this heim joint allows the sway bar to not bind and not cause the dreaded LEAN.
It did not require more than 3/8 difference to get my leaning problem to go away.
Every once in a while I check it when I do maintenance and it is just sitting as flat as can be.

A full tank of fuel should not even start to make your Jeep lean to one side.
If you think it does then have your mate/ friend/ big dog whatever get up in the pass. seat and check your measurements again.
You should be able to jump up and down on the rock rails and it not move much if at all.

I hope this helps.

But really "jorgelrod" a 1/2 lean would hardly be detectable. Most of the stories I have read about this subject these guys would be thrilled to only be off by that much.
Good luck sorting it out.

Anybody else know of a fix?

jorgelrod

Hooked

But really "jorgelrod" a 1/2 lean would hardly be detectable. Most of the stories I have read about this subject these guys would be thrilled to only be off by that much.

I just put 1/2 inch spacers on my passenger side and called it a day...

Exodus 4x4

This just about drove me nuts at first. It was very obvious just after putting on coilovers.
My garage floor is very flat side to side with a slight drop out towards the door. Perfect place to set up a suspension system.
First it would be to the Pass. side, then to the Drivers side. Then back to the Pass. side. FFS?
Like a full damn inch or more.

I adjusted this and that, loosened and tightened, disconnected my sway bars both front and rear.
Then it seemed like I was onto something.
I think it was our brother "Overlander" that figured it out.
The distance can be made up with adjustable sway bar end links.

But here is the cool part, I ordered a set of Evo adjustable end links. Put them on on holy shit I had almost NO LEAN. WTF?
Well my guess is the damn factory end links with the bolt crushing the rubber bushing into the sway bar puts enough bind into the mix to cause us to lean one way or the other, depending on last direction of "hard lean loading". (Dont know what to call it after all this beer):beer:

The Evo sway bar end links use a heim joint on both ends. They are fully adjustable in and out. HOWEVER you need to measure for the correct length and order accordingly depending on your lift height.
But my guess is this heim joint allows the sway bar to not bind and not cause the dreaded LEAN.
It did not require more than 3/8 difference to get my leaning problem to go away.
Every once in a while I check it when I do maintenance and it is just sitting as flat as can be.

A full tank of fuel should not even start to make your Jeep lean to one side.
If you think it does then have your mate/ friend/ big dog whatever get up in the pass. seat and check your measurements again.
You should be able to jump up and down on the rock rails and it not move much if at all.

I hope this helps.

Eat fast food for 6 months straight, it’ll work itself out.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
I run 1/2" spacers on the passenger side. Don't forget to account for your own weight in the driver's seat when measuring. Fuel load also makes a difference.

Top Bottom