2006 LJ 4wd question

arahambone

Hey gang,

So I test drove a 2006 Unlimited and when I popped into 4H and practiced turns, it was lurching and almost hoping, any thoughts?

Also the seller had zero maintenance history and the VIN number is associated with a known oil pump issue. And minor, but the vents and heating can only worked in high fan mode and only on the windshield.

Too many red flags?

Thanks

G-mansjk

It's not uncommon to feel the lurching when in 4wd on pavement especially when turning. 4wd is really only intended to be used in low traction environments like mud ice, snow ECT. The fan only working in high can just be the rheostat . The heater only working on defrost could be vacuum lines or the linkage binding. If it were me, I'd buy that sucker if the price is right get a manual and get dirty

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

arahambone

Thanks

It's not uncommon to feel the lurching when in 4wd on pavement especially when turning. 4wd is really only intended to be used in low traction environments like mud ice, snow ECT. The fan only working in high can just be the rheostat . The heater only working on defrost could be vacuum lines or the linkage binding. If it were me, I'd buy that sucker if the price is right get a manual and get dirty

It’s got 65,000 mikes on it. Asking 15,500.

Sounds like it’s a non issue then. I read most forums saying it was just driving in 4H on pavement, but I’m paranoid.

PT1400

What he said.

BobNH

I agree, and if you choose to buy it, never ever ever drive it in 4wd on dry pavement. Very bad joojoo.
Also, the fan only working on high is a common TJ problem, just need to replace the blower resistor. Very easy job.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

J06Pwrangler

Maybe they installed some kind of auto-locker. But if the 4x4 is binding up on the pavement, id say it works.

My 99TJ has had that issue with the fan speed. I forget but you can replace the whole mod (with the fan speed, temp, and cabin control knobs). Easy fix. Just take the face plate off the dash, and its like 2-4 screws.

I snagged my 06 LJ for 11,500. 140k miles. They are a great platform to build up.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

The selector system for vents is pretty crappy on these. For mine the actual plastic arm broke off so I'd have to take the entire dash out to address it, So its stuck on Windshield defrost. 15k seems high if it isnt built. the 4x4 lurching, was it only on tight turns or less than like 45* turns? if it was sharp thats normal, if not its something to look deeper at.

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
The selector system for vents is pretty crappy on these. For mine the actual plastic arm broke off so I'd have to take the entire dash out to address it, So its stuck on Windshield defrost. 15k seems high if it isnt built. the 4x4 lurching, was it only on tight turns or less than like 45* turns? if it was sharp thats normal, if not its something to look deeper at.
Agreed. Mine was the same way. The selector arm in the dash breaks off. Easy fix with the new part.

Sent from my PH-1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom