What do I lower my tire psi to when off roading?

Lil_Dil

I have 35" tires and gave been off roading just like that but I remember someone telking me to lower them but to what?? Thanks!!

Lil_Dil

jesse3638

Hooked
All great advice here. I tend to agree with post #2 as far as to how low you should go without bead locks. Even dropping them 10 PSI from street pressure will do wonders for ride comfort. Check out Eddies video of him with the New JL in Last Chance Canyon

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
as little as necessary :idontknow:

You want the tire soft enough to conform to the terrain, and provide traction, but still hard enough to keep it on the rim (Purpose of beadlocks), and keep the rim from pinching the tire/hitting the ground. What that magical point is, is going to be different jeep to jeep, and tire to tire... So YOU NEED TO AIR DOWN. to what point is the question. how much air can YOU keep in the tire and still get the grip you need??? :idontknow:

It takes about 6-8psi to get the tread flat on the ground with my jeep. but again, this is MY jeep, nearly empty (unloaded), on 10 ply Toyos.

When I'm wheeling, It really depends on what I am doing. If its sandy/Rocky, I'll get a little more aggressive with the air, but otherwise, 15psi give or take is plenty soft for a good day in the dirt. even WITH beadlocks and my *hard as F *10 ply toyos...

Last edited:

longarmwj

Quick question. What's beadlocks ?

Lil_Dil

It's a type of wheel that secures the bead of the tire to the wheel using a ring that bolts down and clamps the tire to the wheel. It allows you to run super low pressure (I've run as low as 6 PSI on my WJ) without the tire de-beading from the wheel.

Top Bottom