Smittybilt Oversized Tire Carrier

Regoscar

Hoping you guys can help me out...

I have a 2018 Jeep Rubicon Recon Unlimited JK and I purchased the Smittybilt Oversized Tire Carrier. It doesn’t seem to fit. Has anyone else been able to add the carrier to their 2018 Jeep?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

TheGrendel

Return it and buy a higher quality tire carrier.

this. shittybuilt is called shittybuilt for a reason. it's high production low cost chinese junk. tolerances are crap. some may fit perfectly, many do not.

if your going to wheel, buy something else.

Amrth

I have a 2018 Jeep Rubicon Recon Unlimited JK and I purchased the Smittybilt Oversized Tire Carrier. It doesn’t seem to fit. Has anyone else been able to add the carrier to their 2018 Jeep?

Smittybilt shouldn't have been your best choice on tire carrier! Neither should be Terraflex.. LOL

But I'm curious when you say it doesn't fit, can you specify what is the issue? Did you get the bumper mounted carrier?

nomorenoless

It does fit perfectly, I did install mine by myself it need some small customization but very small, minor things.
if you need any help let me know.

Also is great, now you have to understand this, you are adding some extra weight to your jeep, which means you will sacrifice also the amount of things that you can carry in, there is a weight limit and all the suspensions and axle will give you that information.

The miss understanding of this, creates so much frustration for some whom didn't their homework before even buy it.

Last edited:

Cold Gas

Any chance they gave you one meant for a JL instead of a JK? Just a thought as I don’t know if they even have one for the JL yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trailraider

are you trying to fit the carrier to the factory bumper? or do you have a smitybilt bumper? cause if you are trying to fit it to the factory it aint gonna work.

Regoscar

It does fit perfectly, I did install mine by myself it need some small customization but very small, minor things.
if you need any help let me know.

Also is great, now you have to understand this, you are adding some extra weight to your jeep, which means you will sacrifice also the amount of things that you can carry in, there is a weight limit and all the suspensions and axle will give you that information.

The miss understanding of this, creates so much frustration for some whom didn't their homework before even buy it.

This is what I’m trying to attach.

Image1519696480.068430.jpg Image1519696495.852846.jpg

Twindaddy76

First post...hello yall.

What are you having problems with, the air vent on the tailgate? If so, remove either trim it or just remove it.

I have the same carrier, its not the best choice but its much better than using the stock carrier with a spacer. I've had mine on for a while without any issues. No rattle, vibrations, nothing. There are others out there that use it as well and seem to like it. Can I get a better carrier? Sure. Do I need to? Not at the moment.

Regoscar

First post...hello yall.

What are you having problems with, the air vent on the tailgate? If so, remove either trim it or just remove it.

I have the same carrier, its not the best choice but its much better than using the stock carrier with a spacer. I've had mine on for a while without any issues. No rattle, vibrations, nothing. There are others out there that use it as well and seem to like it. Can I get a better carrier? Sure. Do I need to? Not at the moment.

Thank you for all the replies! After speaking to Smittybilt and sending pictures - it seems the welds for this particular unit were off causing the carrier bolt holes to misalign with my tailgate bolt holes. They have offered to replace the unit with another one. Don’t know if I will send back.

TheGrendel

Thank you for all the replies! After speaking to Smittybilt and sending pictures - it seems the welds for this particular unit were off causing the carrier bolt holes to misalign with my tailgate bolt holes. They have offered to replace the unit with another one. Don’t know if I will send back.

surprise, surprise. that's why most everyone on this forum advises against smittybuilt. way, way too many issues.

Top Bottom