Tailgate hinge re-enforcement/ tire carrier

Mikecal9985

So being that I just got a set of 35s, I’m assuming the stock hinges and tire carrier itself won’t hold up very long. I may be wrong, I don’t know. Anyways, I was wondering what you guys were running on your JK!! I’m running the EVO rear frame mounted D-rings, and don’t want to purchase a bumper, I love the bumper less look. Pics would be appreciated!! Thanks guys!!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

TonyViv

Some will say to isolate the tire properly and you will be fine. I did that with PVC and caps, it didn't work for me. Still rattled around . I ended up with the moryde hinges and carrier reinforcement kit using the stock carrier. Its not super pretty but its behind the tire anyway, the price is reasonable and no more rattling. it works for me so I'm happy with it.

Tony

Last edited:

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Mine were wearing out and getting some rattles with only 33s. Since my next set will be 35s I took a whack at making my own HD hinges. I used 1/4" steel tailgate hinges off Amazon welded on to the original tailgate brackets and a little extra reinforcement with 3/16" steel plate. Works great so far. IMG_20171022_181024.jpg

Mikecal9985

Some will say to isolate the tire properly and you will be fine. I did that with PVC and caps, it didn't work for me. Still rattled around . I ended up with the MORE hinges and carrier reinforcement kit using the stock carrier. Its not super pretty but its behind the tire anyway, the price is reasonable and no more rattling. it works for me so I'm happy with it.

Tony
Thanks bud, I was looking at those as well, just by the time you buy the hinges and tire carrier, I’m looking at almost $350. Might just get the hinges and save up for a hinge mounted carrier.

Mine were wearing out and getting some rattles with only 33s. Since my next set will be 35s I took a whack at making my own HD hinges. I used 1/4" steel tailgate hinges off Amazon welded on to the original tailgate brackets and a little extra reinforcement with 3/16" steel plate. Works great so far. View attachment 294708
Looks nice man!! If only I was that crafty [emoji23]

RioGrandeJK

I've got the Moryde tailgate reinforcement/hinges/tire carrier. Been running the hinges for about a year and tire carrier/reinforcement for about 3 months with 33" Grabber AT2s. So far I like it, it's a decent option if you don't want a bumper mounted tire carrier.

Stotch

Caught the Bug

Thanks, I'm happy with how they came out.

You could always learn; you never know until you try! Heck, some of those tire carriers out there cost the same as a decent MIG welder! Not that they're bad options, just not as fun ;)

Shadow's_Jeep

Caught the Bug
I've got the Moryde tailgate reinforcement/hinges/tire carrier. Been running the hinges for about a year and tire carrier/reinforcement for about 3 months with 33" Grabber AT2s. So far I like it, it's a decent option if you don't want a bumper mounted tire carrier.
I been looking at the Moryde for my JKU, thanks for the input.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

TonyViv

They make a quality product. The simplicity is what made me get it. I don’t like the look of the forged aluminum or stamped steel carrier/hinges. If you go this route the daystar tire bumpers work decent.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app[/QUOT

I don't even use bumpers anymore, they ripped when I took them off the old carrier and never put them back on ....... not a sound or rattle

TonyViv

Thanks bud, I was looking at those as well, just by the time you buy the hinges and tire carrier, I’m looking at almost $350. Might just get the hinges and save up for a hinge mounted carrier.

I just got the hinges and reinforcement kit, I was able to reuse my stock carrier. I tried getting just the hinges at first, it helped but still rattled a bit. Not a sound since I added the reinforcement kit I like it because it simple, kinda utilitarian

Mikecal9985

I just got the hinges and reinforcement kit, I was able to reuse my stock carrier. I tried getting just the hinges at first, it helped but still rattled a bit. Not a sound since I added the reinforcement kit I like it because it simple, kinda utilitarian

I actually ended up ordering the hinges and tire carrier to go along with it. The more I looked at it the more I likes the look of it. If I end up needing the reinforcement part, then I’ll order that as well. For now, the hinges and carrier will do!!

stoneman

I'm running the Smittybilt Pivot HD carrier

So being that I just got a set of 35s, I’m assuming the stock hinges and tire carrier itself won’t hold up very long. I may be wrong, I don’t know. Anyways, I was wondering what you guys were running on your JK!! I’m running the EVO rear frame mounted D-rings, and don’t want to purchase a bumper, I love the bumper less look. Pics would be appreciated!! Thanks guys!!

I installed the SmittyBilt pivot HD tire carrier Hinge setup. I actually installed this before i moved to 35's as i got it right around Christmas and got a super deal from 4wheelparts i couldn't pass up. Anyway i love it so far, very sturdy and lots of adjustment and man i couldn't believe how cheap the stock tire carrier was until i removed it and thought how did this even manage the stock wheel without cracking. really it litteraly only weight about a couple pounds just thin pot metal casting.
I can post a pic or two of mine if youd like?

WJCO

Meme King
So being that I just got a set of 35s, I’m assuming the stock hinges and tire carrier itself won’t hold up very long. I may be wrong, I don’t know.

....and man i couldn't believe how cheap the stock tire carrier was until i removed it and thought how did this even manage the stock wheel without cracking. really it litteraly only weight about a couple pounds just thin pot metal casting.

Regardless of how the OEM carrier looks, if a 35 inch tire is isolated on the tailgate properly, the factory carrier will hold up just fine. Plenty of members here have run it for years with no issues.

Mikecal9985

Regardless of how the OEM carrier looks, if a 35 inch tire is isolated on the tailgate properly, the factory carrier will hold up just fine. Plenty of members here have run it for years with no issues.

I was more worried about the hinges than the carrier itself to be honest, but that’s good to know tho

TonyViv

I actually ended up ordering the hinges and tire carrier to go along with it. The more I looked at it the more I likes the look of it. If I end up needing the reinforcement part, then I’ll order that as well. For now, the hinges and carrier will do!!

You will end up wanting the reinforcement kit if you have any rattles at all.. FYI pick up a spray can of your color paint, there is just barely primer under the hinges and will need to be painted..

Top Bottom